TKR Timetolive's Nov 9th TKR Post -OP<<

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had thigh highs on both legs. That lasted for about 4 hours after I came home. He had in his instructions to wear them until 2 week office visit. No one said a word!:heehee:
 
Yes @Timetolive i use the TED hose. These are knee high and I wear them on both legs. It's such a relief when I take them off at bedtime. I have to wear these for 4 weeks. With my last TKA I had thigh high hose and I hated them because they always rolled down. I ditched the hose on the non operative leg after 2 weeks. I was more active last time. I had my surgery in May so I would take walks outside twice a day. This time it's winter with snow and ice. I miss the outside walks.
 
I don't mean to sound ignorant, but what are the TED hose worn for?
To prevent blood clots.
The jury is still out on whether they do actually prevent blood clots (DVT) or not. Some surgeons insist on their use, while others do not.
 
As far as extension exercises go, I started with just having my leg flat on the mattress when I lay on my back. At first even that got uncomfortable after a while. I am known for being a slacker, but just doing that got me most of the way there.
 
:loveshwr:Hi! I'm sitting on the bed watching my daughter use her new monogramming/applique machine... Stuffed from eating too much and tired from a late afternoon dash out to buy new dress shoes for our 5 yr old princess to wear with her green velvet dress to the Nutcracker tomorrow afternoon! Whew! All that to say, I'm hanging in here and
"Buddy" is doing well. We've rested as much as we can, not iced or elevated as much as we should, BUT no worse for the wear! Hope you are feeling better. Patience! Patience! Patience!!!
Congrats on your 3 MAJOR accomplishments! Hugs! :egypdance:
 
Juzo compression stockings come in a variety of pretty colors, including pink, red, and green (for Christmas!). I got mine from compressionstockings.com.
 
Once again, thank you all for the great advice! I have faithfully worn the knee high on the non-op leg and have had zero swelling in it. @midwest girl , how did you manage the knee high over your incision?

@Thesoutherncook, good to hear Buddy is doing well! What cuteness could possibly be more stunning than a precious granddarling all dressed up in velvet and new shoes? LOVE! Have a safe trip home.

@Clipless , I will check out that site! Do you wear them for work or because of your TKR?

I hope everyone has a restful night. Ralph is still swollen - it seems nothing makes him happy.
 
I sometimes wear 20-30mmHg thigh-high compression stockings at work- 12 hr shifts on my feet, ugh. I have both Juzo and Sigvaris brands. They are comfortable, and really DO help with ankle swelling, but they are mildly time-consuming to get on and I would rarely budget enough time before work. I should try harder and actually wear them. I also have knee-high and calf sleeve versions. Unfortunately those dig into the backs of my knees, not fun. I think my legs are a weird shape or something. The backs of my knees have always been sensitive.
 
@Timetolive I still have a bandage over my incision because he decided to keep the staples in another week so I do have some padding there. But usually I pull them up to just below the incision and fold the excess down.
 
@Clipless, YES! It is time consuming - I am so thnakful to my dear husband for being so patient and helping. When we arrived at the hospital for surgery, we were taken back and the nurse (?) handed us a pair of the thigh highs and said put one on your non-op leg and then left! WE had NO idea how!! So, there we were reading the directions - what a nerve racking thing to have to do! Talk about a blood pressure raiser! When we got home, you better believe we watched several YouTube videos. My leg is small at the bottom and then at the knee and the thigh - gets much larger. Strange shape too!

@midwest girl, I see. Have they told you how long you will wear them?

I just cannot seem to get my digestion regulated. 2 stool softeners and Miralax every day. I am not regular and it is miserable.

We woke up to the most beautiful sunrise this morning. Makes you feel good to be alive! I hope your day brings you a level of joy that helps you forget your struggles.
 
I was told that I could take up to six stool softeners a day as needed. I've been taking two in the morning and two before bed since I came home from the hospital. I think I also took two in the middle of the day for the first couple days. I also have been drinking plum juice or prune juice at least once a day.
 
Thanks @smarttoys! I will add the plum/prune juice. I am not having trouble "passing" when it gets going - it just never gets going. (no hard stools) Would have ever dreamed you would be talking to someone on the internet about this?? :dubious:
 
Your regularity problem is probably due to the morphine. Although the Miralax got things going for me, I wasn't my normal self for quite a while and not until I was off the iron supplements. I'd put money that when you're done with the morphine things will move nicely.
 
I'm also trying the 2 stool softeners and Miralax daily. I really don't want to add more to the mix. I've had some success but not what I would call regular.
 
May the poop fairy visit you!! The constipation is one of the worst parts of surgery! Even with preparing my digestive tract prior to surgery I still suffered from constipation.
 
Thanks Karri, JoJo, and Kathy! Not being "regular" really makes for an uncomfortable tummy now that I am eating more.
 
@Timetolive i am suppose to wear the TED hose for 4 weeks. As far as constipation it's miserable. For my first TKA I had gone 10 days without a BM and it was excruciating. More painful than my knee. Ever since that surgery my bowels and regularity have never been the same. That's when my dr prescribed Linzess. Since the last TKA I've had 3 knee surgeries and I thought I was doing much better this time - staying on top of things. But today I'm miserable. Lots of cramping and gas pains. I know things are moving - just not out. I've already taken Linzess today but now I'm getting ready for my cocktail of prune juice with a splash of miralax. To me this is the worst part of the whole TKA recovery.
 
One of my worst days post-op was my first visit from the poop fairy.
I went waaaaay too long before it was treated aggressively.
I needed stool softeners, Miralax, a suppository and finally an enema.
It was quite humiliating...And painful.
This time I'm getting a jump on it by using the stool softener and Miralax pre-emptively (starting today!)
And, prunes are your friend!!! :heehee:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom