MUA Tigz's Lessons in Patience

Hi @tigz - energy drain seems to hit most of us at some stage, hang in there it does get better :)

I thought you might like to get a snapshot of where you are in the medically acknowledged healing phases.

The following is a link to an article which provides the science regarding the healing process beneath and around the implant and the approximate timeframes for our bodies healing phases and processes.

Healing Phases & Nutrition

Nutrition plays a huge part in surgical recovery, in fact it is one of the 'forgotten topics' of recovery..

This second link is to other nutritional articles which you may find interesting, including one relating to bone health.

Nutritional advice for pre op and recovery

This third link refers to my ongoing research..

nutritional-snippets-did-you-know

Feel free to tag me if you have any questions regarding nutrition.

However, I would appreciate if you (or any other member) do not request advice regards supplements as I would be breaking the Common Law Act (under which I am governed) to prescribe outside of my practice, especially via the Internet.
 
Realized at PT today just how weak my "up down" stair muscles are since I haven't been using the stairs either up or down in a normal fashion since the end of January. It made me feel much older than my 53 years!

Good session....good stretches....extra icing and elevating tonight for the tired not too little knee.
 
Glad things went well. That swelling can be a bear -- mine sure is. Glad you had a good PT session!

Roxie
 
I think the inability to do stairs "normally" contributed to me feeling much older than my 54 years, too. My 78-year old husband will sometimes run up them just to rub it in. I'd call him a nasty name, but I'm thankful he can do it. On the other hand, he has a lot of muscular pain in his back that has recently moved to his legs. He has a doctor appointment tomorrow, and I hope he doesn't get any bad news, but I also hope he's able to find a source for some relief.

I am pleased that if I don't have anything in my hands and I go slowly, I can walk up and down stairs "normally." I need both hands to support me for the duration of the stairs, but I'm working on maintaining proper form. If I concentrate, I can also do our back steps into and out of the house without my cane in the "normal" manner (the steps do not have handrails). I still need much more strength, and, of course, my right knee still needs to be replaced, but being able to do stairs is exciting.
 
@PolarBear60 my 23 year old son has never been able to just walk up and down the steps. I told him today it's even more annoying to me than in the past since I'm in the strengthening phase before I can even attempt the steps normally. He just smiled at me. :-)

sent from my Galaxy 4
 
You'll get there with the stairs. It is an exciting moment when you realize you're just doing stairs without planning. Before the tkrs I would think "do I really need to make that trip to the basement today?" And now I can go up and down however many times I want. People without bad knees don't realize what they take for granted.
 
I dreamt about going down stairs all the time... And would wake up so disappointed that it was only a dream. That feeling would linger all day. and now, it's just a matter of time before we can do it for real!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I've been doing the up with the good down with the bad for so long I don't think I even do steps correctly in my dreams!
 
Was supposed to have PT at noon, but the therapist called me at 10:30 and told me to come in any time. When I got there a little after 11...no one else was there! No one else came, other patient he left a message for didn't show. First Saturday visit...and it was really strange to have the entire room to myself!
 
When i went last summer, my 7am sessions were a ghost town. 5pm, and party. I like having other people around, it's a nice distraction


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Yes lots of conversations going on! I asked him if I owed him more for a private session. LOL
 
Woke up at 430 and couldn't fall back asleep. Didn't really have pain just discomfort. I could've taken something, but didn't. Looked at my phone after a half hour, tried again, read my Kindle, ended up getting up at 6.

Needless to say, the first nap of the day is done! :-D

sent from my Galaxy 4
 
We should have chatted, @tigz . That's about when I woke up and for the same reason -- discomfort rather than actual pain! Elevating, icing and resting right now!

Roxie
 
I've noticed the last couple of nights if I get up, go to the potty and get back in bed it seems to be enough to get the kinks out. Just not last night.

sent from my Galaxy 4
 
Hmm, they went around your knee cap, huh? Mine is a strait cut, was thee an advantage?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
He followed the previous incision from surgery I had when I was 16. I guess he figured the damage was already done in that area, why create a new area of scar tissue?

I'm really having a tough time with this. Very very frustrated with everything.
 
Lack of sleep plays a lot into it, I think @tigz . It's always more difficult to deal with things when you're sleep deprived.
 
I'm really having a tough time with this. Very very frustrated with everything.

Let's see. You're 5-6 weeks post op. Right in the middle of what we call the dark days of recovery.

You feel a bit better, but you think you should be feeling a lot better.

Your knee knew it all along, but it's beginning to dawn on you that this really is a long recovery, from which you can't bounce back quickly.

I'm going to say that dreaded word - and kick away if you like! LOL
Patience! That, and time, will have to be your new best friends.

Hang in there. We know what it's like, because we've been there. We understand, so feel free to complain as much as you like.

Do you have some videos to watch, books to read? A new hobby?
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024

Members online

Back
Top Bottom