Guest viewing is limited

MUA Tigz's Lessons in Patience

Impatience and overdoing it will certainly set you back along with a physical torturist. Stand your ground and tell them to BACK OFF. This recovery is measured in months not weeks . I literally iced and properly elevated for 16 hours a day for 5 maybe 6 weeks. My pain was managed exceptionally well with tramadol and celebrex and tylenol. Add oxycontin and oxycodone which i only took for about a week. Too many weird dreams ,appetite lose and my GF kept checking on me to see if i hadnt overdosed. Not to mention the dreaded constipation. Like you my knee wasnt very swollen but i knew it was on the inside . The tight feeling. However it will swell once you really overdo it . You will know you overdid it when it looks like a watermelon. After that happens avoid that active for awhile . Best of luck, Iceman
 
I went about 3-4 weeks, but everyone is different. I needed to drive, so getting of my narcotics sooner was my goal. i was able to transition to tramadol, tylenol and napersen
 
OK I can check signature off my list. Is it possible to change the title of the thread? I'd like to get rid of the "& a bit discouraged". I'm really not a Debbie Downer.

The doctor did write me another script for the Lortab. Hubby needs to go pick it up from the office later.

Today in my last PT in the house. She really likes for her patients to be at a ROM of 90 at discharge, and I'm still not quite there. Hopefully I won't have to lay down the law with her when she stretches me!

I did overdo it a bit yesterday. First time I attempted to cook dinner and was on my feet more than I realized.

Back to the couch and the kindle and the remote!
 
Yeah, that first dinner cooking session is an eye-opener for how much it takes out of you. I did that last Monday night. I rested between preparation and serving. That half hour break while it was cooking was nice!
 
The last at home PT session went well. The stretches felt like stretches. Beautiful day here in Maryland, the therapist and I took a teeny walk outside (I graduated to the cane yesterday - woohoo -small steps! )
 
OK I can check signature off my list. Is it possible to change the title of the thread? I'd like to get rid of the "& a bit discouraged". I'm really not a Debbie Downer.
Thank you for doing your signature.

I've asked one of the moderators to change your thread title.
 
Thread title changed for you!

I think you're doing just great. Sunshine helps tremendously!!!
 
If you're close to 90 you're doing just fine at this point. :thumb:

As far as pain meds, generally most of us lower our pain meds first by spreading out doses--such as trying 5 hours instead of 4 between doses and seeing how that goes. If it feels ok, fine. If not, you go back to every 4 hours.
But there is no rush. We all experience pain differently and need the meds for different lengths of time.
 
Hi @tigz ! You are in the right place here and anytime you need help or advice, you need only ask. This forum kept me going before, during and after my BTKR two years ago. I'm so grateful for all the support. Sounds like you are in a very good place this early out from your surgery and as I'm sure you know by now, every day gets easier and easier. Keep doing your exercises at home, rest, elevate, ice, etc. - everything everyone else has already explained. Good luck with everything, you will be running around in no time!
 
In another post I happened upon the link regarding "Energy Drain". This morning I was wondering for a bit if I was getting sick. I laid down right after breakfast and had a hard time getting myself up to do my exercises. When I finally did get up and finished, I promptly feel asleep while icing. Good to know it's all normal!

Have had shoes on two days in a row! Today's walk I touched the neighbor's car and came back inside.

I think it's time for another nap. zzzzzz
 
Yes, your energy level will be a little low and you should rest. Your body needs it in order to repair itself. When you feel like you need to lay down, by all means do so. It will get better with time. Enjoy your little naps!
 
I do a little, rest a little, do a little, rest a little. Stamina improves a little from week to week. Listen to your body.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Today definitely wasn't an improvement...am up to three naps! And I've enjoyed each and every one of them! Guess my body really needed the rest. I didn't sleep this much my first day home. :-)

sent from my Galaxy 4
 
@tigz , I'm quite a bit more "nappy" than usual too. My surgery was May 1. Sounds like we just need to be patient. Sigh, I just keep hearing that word over and over again.
 
I think I figured out part of the "problem"...hubby opened up the casement windows and I think the outside sounds of birds and lawn mowers etc were white noise that zonked me out! Course it could've been a catch up day, too. :-)
 
Either way, you must have needed it. Let's the body heal, so nap away.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
God luck happy healing. Xxx


FaithMitchmommy
PKR December.1,2014
TKREV MARCH.2,2015
 
With sleep issues and the way the body is burning up energy in recovering, naps are great. Don't fight them---just go along with the ride.

Things will improve.
 
Back to walker, more for protection than anything else. Hubby seemed to forget he told a friend we could dogsit for them. It's an almost year old golden retriever who adores our five year old golden. She's not a jumper, thank heaven, and seems a little skittish around the walker.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom