Guest viewing is limited

MUA Tigz's Lessons in Patience

Today I was out for my tiny walk and hubby suggested I try to get in and out of the car since I haven't been in a car since I came home. Success! I can go to PT on Tuesday. :-)
 
So great to be out in a car and each time will get easier. Good luck with your PT on Tuesday!
 
My quads have finally been waking up over the weekend. Hubby was helping me with two exercises and I realized he was doing nothing and I was finally able to do the extension and leg raises myself!

sent from my Galaxy 4
 
Good job on extension and leg raises. It's hard. But you can do it... It's rough. Don't give up.... I'm a bit over 2 months. And still have some trouble. But I'm keeping on to get success.


FaithMitchmommy
PKR December.1,2014
TKREV MARCH.2,2015
 
My form still leaves a bit to be desired (not totally straight with the raises), but I was impressed I could finally lift the leg!
 
First outpatient physical therapy. She didn't hurt me, but she wasn't impressed by my extension (10) or ROM (75 it actually was 85 for the PT that came to the house last Thursday). Didn't like the swelling either and gave me a sleeve (I don't like it) to wear. Told me to ice and elevate (which I've been doing!). She did a bit of massage, stretching, showing me exercises very similar to what I've been doing.

I was afraid she was going to hurt me, that didn't happen, instead I just came home discouraged.

Why are they so focused on the damn numbers?
 
My PT had me use a "tubigrip" soft sleeve for light compression to help with the swelling. I think it did help a bit.

Do they have a cold machine at your PT? Mine used something called "game ready?" that was super cold--more than you can get at home-and after 15 minutes or so with that wrapped on, my swelling would go down (at least temporarily) measureably and I'd get a little more bend. I think that was more useful than the exercises she had me do on those days.
 
Actually the sleeve doesn't feel that bad (I think I was extra grumpy yesterday). The compression is less than the stockings and I can do my exercises with it in place.

They did use a machine like that. All I noticed is that it was red. :-)

They also had a very nice angled rest for my leg...I wonder how much something like that costs. Probably too much since I'm trying to save pennies for stationary bike.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
School teacher daughter passed through tonight, thinking she was making dinner, and was surprised to see I'd made a meatloaf. I was explaining my ROM woes, to which she nodded and said so you'd rather be obtuse than acute? It seems she's teaching angles at the moment. :-)

sent from my Galaxy 4
 
My PT had me use a "tubigrip" soft sleeve for light compression to help with the swelling. I think it did help a bit.

Do they have a cold machine at your PT? Mine used something called "game ready?" that was super cold--more than you can get at home-and after 15 minutes or so with that wrapped on, my swelling would go down (at least temporarily) measureably and I'd get a little more bend. I think that was more useful than the exercises she had me do on those days.
I rented a "game ready" and it is worth the cost!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Why are they so focused on the damn numbers?
Because it's the only way they can prove that their ministrations are achieving progress! Let the PTs worry about it, but don't you get hooked on on the numbers. What you can do with your knee is more important than the numbers.

I think it's a bad thing to measure ROM all the time, because a degree or two is neither here nor there and so much measuring just worries the patient. Once a month is plenty. (My ROM had never been measured at all after my latest TKR and I can do everything I want with my knee. I estimate its ROM to be 0 degrees extension and about 125-130 flexion.)

Your ROM won't improve fast anyway, as long as you still have swelling, so your PT was right to tell you to concentrate on rest, ice and elevation.

In spite of what the PTs may say, there's really no need to rush to improve ROM, as it can continue to improve for a year or more after surgery. Remember these?
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's worth the wait for ROM
 
Thanks for the reminders in those links! My OS doesn't see patients until a month for follow up so I'm also a bit concerned as to what he'll say when I see him next week.

sent from my Galaxy 4
 
Oh my gosh I'm in love with my therapist today...shame she's very part time! No pain whatsoever.

sent from my Galaxy 4
 
Stopped by Rite Aid on the way home from PT. First trip into a store...one more step towards 'normal'. Now icing and waiting for the Orioles rain delay to be over. I can't remember the last time I've watched this many baseball games. I miss it when they're off (OR late night! )
 
I've decided I like rainy and muggy (we've had some this spring!) days better than beautiful days like today. Days like today make me want to go out and do something besides just walk up and down the street a bit.

Monday will be four weeks. I think my bend ain't too much better. Have a first follow up with the doctor on Tuesday. Not exactly looking forward to that.

I have backed off a bit on the Lortab. The max I've taken in a day lately has been five. I'm substituting Tylenol in the afternoon - and keeping track of the amount of Tylenol total in my meds for the day.

You know, if I'd had some spectacular recovery I never would've gone googling and found this nice informative friendly place. So I suppose that's a very nice silver lining to this cloud. :)
 
Hubby convinced me to go to the grocery store and 'drive around'. Then while he did the self check out I bagged from my seated position. I was worried about being able to sit in the darn thing since my ROM isn't great, but that wasn't a problem. Now I'm plum tuckered out and elevating and icing. Nap time!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Tigz's Lessons in Patience


sent from my Galaxy 4
 
Unique, isn't it? The OS was very good at following the scar from the surgery I had at 16 for patella instability.

sent from my Galaxy 4
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom