MUA Tigz's Lessons in Patience

Looking good! I haven't had the nerve to try the motorized carts in the grocery store yet. I'm afraid I'll run into something -- or worse, someone! My only stop at the store so far has been a quick trip into Whole Foods which I walked into. I made it short enough that it wasn't too bad.
 
I would've been hesitant in the store if this was my first time, but my knee decided to lock up two weeks prior to my surgery and I tried a motorized cart then. Hubby is impressed by their turning radius (sounds like a guy thing).

sent from my Galaxy 4
 
I started using the motorized carts about two weeks before surgery -- the knees just weren't cooperating. They do help, especially in places like Walmart, Target, Home Depot, and Lowe's. Grocery stores, too, if you're getting more than a couple of items.
 
I'm curious...I have a first follow up with my OS on Tuesday, which is four weeks post-op. I still don't have much bend, ROM less than 90. Is there a 'standard' set for when they recommend a MUA, I.e. number of weeks post-op, less than a certain ROM? Or is it subjective? I'm trying to prepare myself for what he might say. I've been following the recommendations from the site, combined with gentle exercises recommended by the PT, but it's discouraging not seeing just a bit of improvement.

I just want my knee to bend a little more is that too much to ask?
 
Well I may not bend much but last night I slept from 11-5. Longest stretch of sleep I've had! And...when I woke up I couldn't find my cane. Had hubby look, couldn't find it. He found it....downstairs...when he went to let the dog out. I do leave it laying around while in the house but always use it for my outside walk, going to PT, etc. Guess I'm one step closer to not needing it!
 
Yay for a good nights sleep! I got stranded in a chair this morning... My husband had moved the walker out of his way... And out of my reach!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@tigz and @JennyLynne , losing our walking aids sounds like a common theme this morning. Maybe it's a Monday thing. I generally keep mind close in case I need it although often don't use it around the house. This morning, I couldn't find it at all and finally found it in the kitchen. Apparently, I'd gone in there to do something and had hung it over the top of the kitchen counter then left it hanging there when I left the room. Sounds like we are all making progress even if it is too slow for all of us. Although, getting stuck in a chair doesn't sound like a whole lot of fun!

Hope the rest of your day is uneventful!

Roxie
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Roxie my cane was hanging over a chair in the kitchen.

My walker is by the end of the bed on my side to keep the dog from jumping in from that side.

Funny thing, we swapped sides of the bed after my surgery, and hubby asked me the other morning when we'd be switching back and I told him not any time soon!

sent from my Galaxy 4
 
We switched sides too, and I kind of like it over here! This used to be my side, but we switched when I was on pregnancy bedrest and never switched back. I'm such a creature of habit!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I just put an address label sticker on my cane yesterday. I keep leaving it places. I figure at some point, I may forget it away from home. I, too, hang it over a kitchen chair. I take it with me when I leave the house but don't usually need it inside unless I'm particularly tired.
 
The address label is a very good idea!

Rather nervous about my doctor's appointment this afternoon due to my ROM <90... first follow-up (am four weeks and one day :) ). Will report back later. :/
 
Why do I worry so much in advance? The OS says I'm fine for now, he wants to see me in a month to make sure I'm still making progress and re evaluate if I might need a MUA. He said he didn't a perform a lot of those procedures, but the ones he does do are usually because the patient has had previous surgery on that joint and has had a lot of scar tissue. He guesstimated I was about 90°. Was impressed by my extension as it was crappy prior to the replacement because of my long ago surgery.

Told me I could stop wearing the stockings, so I took them off as soon a I got home. And can drive....yay!

They put me on a bike for the first time in PT. I want an exercise bike!

Julie, a bit happier of a camper
 
Yay!!! Awesome report! Enjoy that new freedom on the road!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Drove to the drugstore and dropped off two prescriptions. Freedom! Funny though, I need the seat all the way back to get in and out of the car, but closer for driving. :-)

sent from my Galaxy 4
 
Yay, you have wheels! It feels so good to have that freedom. Congrats on the good check-up!!

Roxie
 
Freedom!!!! That's great! Such little things, small errands, can feel like you have control again.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Small errands...big naps. It's amazing how so little ties me out so quickly. Someday the energy level will return....but not any time soon!
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024

Members online

Back
Top Bottom