TKR This Teacher's TKR Recovery Journey

Glad the staple removal went well...I had those when I had my Achilles tendon repair surgery and!!removal is not fun
 
Having the staples out is another step in your recovery. I'm glad it went well.
 
Day 19

Yesterday I again slept most of the day. I had also begun taking the two meds together. I guess my body needed some sleep to help aid in recovery, especially after everything last week. Good news is that by combining the two meds I get pain relief and no nausea.

The men did start cleaning. The poor vacuum. I don't think they vacuumed in the last two weeks. With the dog hair they vacuumed up, we could make a whole other dog!

@Celle Yes, I know as doc told me that incision needs to be completely closed with no scab. I have very minimal scabbing, so the two weeks mentioned was what he figured.
 
A few weeks ago while cleaning the car we realized Piper (border collie) enjoys having the shop vac run over her coat. She hates being brushed, but sits perfectly still and WAITS for the shop vac hose every time we get it out! There was another dog in the shop vac when we were done!
 
Day 20

PT this morning. It was a week since last time due to the med reaction. She was initially worried as it was a long time to not be working it. But she follow me. I was doing my quad tightening, heel slides, foot pumps while sick.

So after I told her about last time, she did a mix today, which helped greatly. My flexation was 110° and extension was 2°.

Med combo is working, but the nausea med makes me sleepy unless I have my mind engaged on something. So I am definitely getting my beauty rest.
 
@Kazilla - I'm glad you're doing well! Funny about dog hair and getting another dog's worth. I remember that with my lab, that dude would shed! I wish he would have been open to being vacuumed (hilarious!).
 
We had a golden retriever for 13 years. Even after she had been dead for a year, I was still finding some of her hairs in unexpected places.
 
I kept finding dog fur in the car. We bought a hammock that keeps the dog more safely in the backseat and keeps the car clean.

I hope you're doing well today, Kazilla.
 
Day 21

Three weeks past post op. Felt a small snap this morning, then had more flexibility. Called and spoke with PA. She said that if there was no pain or discomfort after that it was likely an adhesion that let go.

I wish I could vacuum my dogs. We have an upright bagless vacuum. The guys did not vacuum for 2 weeks. My husband said he had to stop and empty the canister 4 times!

I think these guys are beginning to see what I do on a normal basis. My older son came to my room yesterday around 4 pm with a conundrum. What to make for dinner? I quipped back, "now you see how I get annoyed when you call me right as school lets out asking me that question." He stopped right then and there and said that he got it, he understands. :loll:
 
Day 23

Last night I was able to get some leg movement without aid. :happydance:

Still taking the pain med/anti nausea combo and it seems to help. Later today is PT.
 
My TKR was the same day as yours. Yes, my knee will swell a bit right after PT. I keep it wrapped, iced, elevated that night. I also do rest the next day. I am able to bend it now.

One thing I watch is my sodium intake and carb intake. Those both can cause extra inflammation.
 
You're doing well. I'm glad the combo of pain med/anti nausea med is working well for you.
 
Thanks @newlybionic

ROM getting better 111°/0°. Wall slides, can get foot to slide up and down under its own power.

Had some small popping when walking today. PT thinks it's from inflammation.
 
Popping can just be normal. I have it too. There is an article in the library about that.
 
Day 25

Had PT yesterday. Was able to get to 111°/0° . This week's accomplishments: getting out of bed without a strap, starting to get into bed without strap, starting to move leg under its own power, going longer time between doses of pain med.

So all in all, this was a better week than the last one. LOL. Can't wait to see how far along I am next week.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom