TKR This Teacher's TKR Recovery Journey

Yay! Every little accomplishment makes today better than any day last week and brings you closer to a new normal.
 
Day 26

Things are coming along. Controlling pain mostly with motrin now. A couple of steri-strips came off in the shower today. Incision looks good. Seems to be a thin scar line that will be left once all is done.

Actually made some dinner yesterday. Sat at table downstairs and had my son bring me what I needed. Felt good to make a meal rather than being fed what these men make. LOL
 
I know what you're saying. Sometimes it's just learning how to adapt your life style for where you are in recovery.
 
Day 29

Hit the 4 week mark yesterday. Also had PT. I was at 122°/0°, so ROM is coming along. I'm completely off the heavy pain med and just on ibuprofen to control pain/swelling.

The steri-strips are off and the incision is closed. I may try walking in the pool on Friday. My PT said that thinks I will be able to transition away from walker and start using a cane.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] This Teacher's TKR Recovery Journey
    _20160622_101150.JPG
    107.9 KB · Views: 182
How wonderful that the hard days are behind you! Think of all you have accomplished. It's wonderful how your husband and son's pitched in. As I read your posts I was angry at those unanswered calls to the doctor. I haven't reached four weeks yet but am looking forward to it. Your ROM is excellent. I am at 3 weeks with -116 and +4. I hope to reach where you are by next week. The worst is behind us. It can only get better!
 
Day 30

PT day. ROM 125°/0°. Able to start straight leg raises without strap. Took first try at taking a step up/down. Up with bad, down with good. First part of being able to navigate stairs normally. All in all a good week of progress. Next week hopefully will transition to cane. Will also start walking in pool now that incision is closed.
:happydance:
 
I have to work hard to keep up to you. :) My extension was -8 this week. UGH!
 
Love your name @Floridagal as I am originally a Florida girl. Even put personalized tag on my SUV (which hubby has been driving this last month... bet he's gotten some strange looks! )

Day 31
Am swollen and sore from yesterday. Therapist wasn't my usual one, as her baby was ill. I think I may have done too much. So it's rest-ice-elevate today. [Bonesmart.org] This Teacher's TKR Recovery Journey
 
HA! Me too. Same story about PT. I am originally from Michigan but have lived in Florida since 75 so I figure I am an honorary Floridian.
 
I lived in SoFla from the time I was 4 until I was 49. Consider myself a FL native too. Even survived direct hit from Andrew.

Moved to TN, as being a teacher and upward spiraling cost of living made FL impossible to live. So I now have a bigger home, more land, and change of seasons. Last year I even had veggie garden, but my men didn't do one while I'm laid up this year. Was able to bring all my years of teaching here. Went from a caseload of 70 to a caseload of 18. (I teach special ed).
 
@Kazilla, I was a teacher too but didn't have a Florida license. I taught in Illinois. My boyfriend is from Tennessee just outside of Memphis. I didn't like south Florida because of the lack of seasons. Gainesville at least has some changes during the year and we have trees that lose their leaves! However, no garden for me. My 1/3 acres is all wooded with very little sun. It's great for my AC bill but not for growing anything. Summer is a complain with lots of heat and humidity. I'd rather be in TN right now than here.
 
@Floridagal we have 1/3 acre, woods and ridge behind it so we have sun, but nobody can build behind us. We are in Knoxville. Definitely enjoying change of seasons. Our two young men (technically not boys anymore) really enjoyed the winters here. I will take snow days over hurricane days....lol.

First winter here we had two weeks off from school due to snow. Ahead of it people were buying up milk, eggs, cheese. My FL brain was like "what if the power goes out?" My friends here chuckled and said "you just put it all outside" :rotfl:
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] This Teacher's TKR Recovery Journey
    FB_IMG_1466782402620.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 159
Oh, your land looks so beautiful. I would take snow days too over hurricane days. Being in a dark, hot house with the power off is not fun. At least on a snow day if you lose power you can have a fire in a fire place. Not an option here. More heat would just add to the misery. Last serious storm we couldn't get out of our subdivision because of the water at the entrance. I haven't stocked up yet for hurricane days. Hopefully they will hold off until I am more agile.
 
Being from the SE US, I know all about hurricanes and tropical storms. When Isabelle went through here she was a TS, but she tore this area up and we were without power for almost 2 weeks. Many main roads were washed out because dams upstream broke, and there were down trees everywhere. People couldn't even get out to go to work, if work was even available. So, needless to say, I'll take snow storms over hurricanes any day!
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom