Guest viewing is limited

TKR This Teacher's TKR Recovery Journey

He is also using his arms and shoulders to help lift himself up. Those of us who have bad shoulders can't do that.
 
I think we each have to work out our own way to get up off the floor. If you're still going to PT, ask your therapist to help you find a way.

I'm fortunate to be able to put some weight on my left knee (the newer of my TKRs), so that helps me a bit. Once I get both my feet under me, I walk my hands back towards my feet, so that I can gradually stand up. It's not elegant, but it works.
 
Celle, I call that the crab walk, I did that before TKR surgey and think it's the best way for me too.
 
Thanksgiving Day....6 month mark

I am so thankful that I had this done. I am able to prepare my dinner this year instead of watching or having to do it sitting down. Not to mention putting up Xmas decorations.

Saw doc yesterday for start of injections for left knee, as it took so much abuse in the year prior to surgery on right. He said the right looked good. I popped in to wish my former PT a happy thanksgiving too, as it's in office next door. She said my walking looks great and to keep up with what I'm doing.

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone
 
Happy Thanksgiving! Good news about getting a shot on lefty. I hope is lasts for a really long time!
 
Day....I've lost count...6 months and almost 2 weeks.

I got second injection on left knee Friday. I got okay to do a 1 mile fun walk. Figured it would keep me motivated thru winter. But didn't get to do it. Raining all day here. Not worth the risk. :groan:
 
Bummer about being rained out! We would be so blessed if you could send some of that rain up this way! We are way below normal this year in rain totals and before you know it, summer will be here and stinking hot, humid and dry! Do you have a mall you can walk around in? Of course, that might be dangerous this time of year! I found hiking in the parks with a friend very beneficial and the steps added up really quickly!
 
We need rain here. I'm an hour from where the Gatlinburg fires were. So I can't complain too much.

I was hoping to put the bib and ribbon up in the room I have workout equipment in. Sort of a reminder of my goal for spring. And a great culmination to all I went thru in 2016
....from crutches/cart....replacement....to doing an event.

No, malls would not be good right now. I do try to walk around first floor of school, and go thru all aisles at the grocery.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
How heartbreaking those fires have been.
 
Day???
7 months 5 days

Happy Holidays everyone!!

I am doing well. I have been out and about. Such a difference. I am truly loving having my life back!!

I am now back in the gym getting ready for a spring 5k (walking...not running).

Happy New Year 2017
:snows:
 
@Kazilla, great to hear that you are doing so well. Having a new knee is like getting a new lease on life! I still can't believe that I can go down the steps without pain in my new knee! And now, going up and down a ladder doesn't hurt it!
 
@sistersinhim I know!! The only times I'm remembering the knee is watching for rain or soon...snow/ice, or if I've overdone walking. I just told a friend of this site. She is looking at replacement early next year. Now I'm passing on the knowledge:wave:
 
You will be a blessing to her. Experience and first hand knowledge is the best source for a new tkr replacement. I knew years before that no pt was the best way for my rehab. The mantras here are perfect for most everyone facing this recovery.
 
Day ??
8 months 2 days

Well, I did it!!! I have signed up for my first post replacement event. It is a 5k and 1 mile fun walk. I'm doing the 1 mile. The event is raising money to combat sex trafficking. The entry fees and any fundraiser money goes to this cause. I pick up my race packet and bib tomorrow. I'm psyched!!:happydance:

I waited until it was close to race date and checked weather....Zero rain chance, but it will be right around freezing, 32°. The knee does not like wet/cold combo. Snow is fine, but cold rain it goes :tantrum2:. I will wear my support brace as precaution. If I should trip it will provide good protection.

Only real issue at this point is if I sit or stand too long. It is a little stiff and slightly painful for a minute or so when I go to do the opposite. This happening to anyone else?
 
Are you walking a mile at this point or will you need to do some training?
 
Only real issue at this point is if I sit or stand too long. It is a little stiff and slightly painful for a minute or so when I go to do the opposite. This happening to anyone else?
Yes, it's quite common to feel some discomfort when standing for a while.
Several people have commented that they found waiting in the check-out line to be the most difficult part of supermarket shopping. It does improve, but can take a while.
 
When it comes time to stand in church to sing, I often forget I'm fine now and think "how am I going to stand through 3 songs?". It was hard to stand for quite a while, so used a stool when I was in front of my class when I returned to school.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom