TKR This Teacher's TKR Recovery Journey

I did the same at the beginning of the year. Then found I was using the stool less and less as the year has gone on. Pretty much have stopped using that now.

At the gym, the upright bike has gotten much easier. Up to 25 min at level 4 now. Doing walking around first floor here at school during my break.
 
I find walking so much easier than standing in one place, so it's normal for you to have a problem doing it. And sleeping, well that's also a normal problem following this surgery. This surgery affects so much more than just our knees and you've have both of them done. No wonder you have discomfort! I think you're doing great! Try to be patient. Yeah, I know. It's a dirty word for all of us, but is so necessary.
 
Oops, I'm so sorry. I obviously was confused. Not unusual for me and I'm not on pain meds!
 
Day 249 (8 months, 4 days)

It's just past 6am here and I'm wide awake. Event starts at 10am. It's 31° actual/22° feels like. At race start it will be 36°/32°. I am so psyched!! It has been just about 3.5 years since I've been at one of these. (1 year was dealing with selling house and moving to new state) . But this for me is a huge leap forward, even if it's 1/3 of my 5k goal. 1 mile walking unaided and strong is better than where I was 250 days ago!! If I can do this and finish without pain the rest of the day, then I really feel that my 5k goal this year sometime is truly attainable.

Wish me luck. I will post pics later if I can.
:walking:
 
I wish you loads and loads of luck. It's cold here in Virginia this morning, too. I sure did enjoy those wonderful, spring-like days we had for a week or so. Now, it's back to cold and windy.
 
[Bonesmart.org] This Teacher's TKR Recovery Journey [Bonesmart.org] This Teacher's TKR Recovery Journey [Bonesmart.org] This Teacher's TKR Recovery Journey

As promised...pics from my first post-replacement event...at day 249!!! This 1 mile included one small inclined bridge over some rail road tracks.
 
Congratulations!

You may need to give the knee some extra rest today, but you've done well.
 
Thanks everyone.

I put knee up....had some lunch...and went out like a light. For 3 hours!! LOL. I guess it did take a bit outta me. But I'm already looking at one for February and March. Both also 1 miles. Yup, safe to say I'm back to crazy.
 
Day 280 (that's 40 weeks):happydance:

The knee is still getting stronger. I haven't done a second event...yet. Came down with bronchitis which put my workouts on hold, and me in bed for a week. Illness has been an issue here that several counties closed schools due to illness. Our county closed for 4 days. Of course I got sick after that and missed work.

The only thing I still notice is if I'm tired or have done to much I can feel it "slip" a little. Anyone else have that? I'm trying to restrengthen my quads to help with that.

It's hard to believe that in a few months it will be a year. I'm celebrating by going away for 2 weeks this summer. Especially after last summer when I was pretty much recovering at home. My big trip will be summer 2018. Doing a bucket list trip with my BFF .... to London and Ireland!! Giving myself plenty of healing time and strengthening 15th time so I can truly enjoy it. (Has anyone had issues with TSA and the knee replacement? Any special documentation?)

For those who may be on the fence or waiting for surgery, let me say that it is SO worth the few months of recovery. You truly do get your life back.
 
When I'm extra tired sometimes my knee gives just a little. It's not enough to make me fall, but I still know it's doing it. I'm working on strengthening my quads, too, but it's a slow process. If I do too much weight or reps, I'll be uncomfortable for a few days. If I do nothing I get stiff. It's a learning process. I, too am hoping to have a much better summer than last year!
 
When you're tired, your muscles don't work quite as well, so they probably won't be giving as much support to your knee.

I can always tell when I'm tired, because I start to limp a bit.
 
I'm flying this month for the first time since my TKR, can let you know.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom