TKR This Teacher's TKR Recovery Journey

Day 307 (10 months, 2 days)
To put into perspective...
  • 26,524,800 seconds
  • 442,080 minutes
  • 7368 hours
  • 307 days
  • 43 weeks and 6 days
  • 84.11% of a common year (365 days)
I am still going strong. Walking around classroom and school is pretty easy now. I'm getting through a number of stores before knee is tired. Still limiting myself to 1 mile walks that are part of 5ks.

The thing is, I forget sometimes to take it easy. Yesterday I stained our 12x12 deck. Today, im definitely paying the price. Sore and swollen. I need to take it easy for a few days now because I overdid it.
 
Sounds like you're doing really well! That feeling of tiredness that comes over the TKR leg is strange, isn't it? For me the leg began to feel heavy again and if I wasn't careful I'd lose my gait completely.
 
Hi there @Kazilla. It sounds like you are doing well. I, too, have to limit myself, to a certain degree. But, the good thing is that I can now do things I hadn't been able to do in over 20 years! My knee and leg is still larger than the left one, but is getting stronger every day. Can you squat yet? I can't. How about getting off the floor? I have to turn over on my tummy almost and then walk my way up with my hands. I would love to be able to get up like a normal person. Maybe one day!
 
Getting up off the floor is still a mental and physical task. I haven't even thought about squats yet.

I did buy myself a 1 year gift. A trip. I was so tied down for so long, I'm taking a 2 week vacay this summer.
 
Fantastic! Where are you going? I'm going camping for 4 days in late May. That will include kayaking and lots of hiking! I'm concerned about how I can get out of the kayak! Oh well, it will happen one way or the other, even if I have to swim out of it!
 
Last few spring storms did not trigger the acheiness in knee. Finally stopped feeling like a barometer. But after Saturday's abuse, I became sensitive to tonight's severe t-storms .

Owwww.
 
I still feel the BP changes too, but not nearly as bad as it used to be!
 
Day 320 ....10 months 16 days....or 45 weeks 5 days

Event number 2 this morning. Had a very gentle incline , which added some time to my last 1 mile event. Took me 22 minutes, which was 6 minutes longer. But the knee has been aggravated this week by strong cold fronts bringing cold rain. Plus, it was 34° this morning.

I need to definitely get back into the pool, and get on exercise bike more consistently. Got to work on getting strength back, and start really losing some of the weight gained back from steroids and sedentary life that was caused by it.

I need to look for an outdoor pool. This FL gal needs some sun. It's been a long winter here in the upper southeast. 7 weeks to summer break!! :happydance:
 
Even in June our water will be too cold for me! Are you walking every day to prepare for your events? I'd think that would help weight and strength.
 
Yes, but I try to keep to level ground. It's the inclines that are killer still. Not really flat around here near the smokies.
 
No flat ground here in western PA either. I began walking around my neighborhood a few times a day and there's a steep hill to get back to my house. I've noticed I'm not as out of breath as I was even a week ago. My 3 year old knee does just fine on it.
 
@Kazilla, I'm right there with you. I want to do everything right now! I found out this week after bending at the waist and pulling grass for about 30 minutes, that my knee isn't healed all the way yet. The night of and the day after it was angry again. Of course, after a day of rest, she's happy again. It is truly at least a year long recovery! Good luck to you and happy healing!
 
Day 339
  • 29,289,600 seconds
  • 488,160 minutes
  • 8136 hours
  • 339 days
  • 48 weeks and 3 days
  • 11 months, 4 days
Coming up on the birthday of my knee. I'm starting to look for an outside pool with lap lanes. I think if I get in the pool I can get more strengthening done.
 
Now, that's really breaking it down for us! The pool will feel great!
 
Kazilla, I began swimming laps and water walking at 8 months. It was great! Hope you find a pool to use. I only like outdoor pools as well. My lungs don't like the overly chlorinated air found with indoor pools.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom