TKR This Teacher's TKR Recovery Journey

You are doing wonderfully! What an encouragement for those behind you.
 
Day 112 (16 weeks)

Managed another swim yesterday. Today, its the chiropractor. From being on crutches for 8 months, and then post op a walker then cane.... Well, I'm all tightened up and twisted. I figure it can only help get me back to walking completely correctly. Plus..my insurance covers it completely for 30 visits.

I am no longer using motor cart at stores at all!! Did big grocery trip and just went slow. Got through it. Worst part was waiting in check checkout line. Standing still is still hardest part. Much easier to walk than just stand there.

Tomorrow is gym day. Recumbent bike and core workout. Then Friday to PT.
 
I'm sorry you're sick. Take a few days to rest and recover.
 
I hope you get well fast! I think our immune system is lowered after this surgery. I had my first UTI last week.
 
Day 121

Finally kicking the cold. Only took a week.

Today was another milestone. For a year and a half I've had to sit or restrict movement, or use assistive devices. It was awful, as I'm a teacher who loves to walk around the room (think crowd control... Lol). Well, today, I was doing that!! It was wonderful to go back to my natural teaching method. For a few minutes I even forgot about the knee.
:egypdance:
 
Oh Kazilla, that is wonderful, uplifting news! I know you were ready to dance a gig!
 
Fabulous! It's great to get back to what you want to do!
 
I found when I got into my fifties that it just plain takes longer to shake a cold. Like 7-10 days instead of 3-4 days. glad you're feeling better!
 
Forgetting about your knee? Priceless!
Graduated from PT? Congrats.

Glad you can return to your teaching mojo!
 
Yippee, you have reached a huge step in your recovery!
 
Day 141 (that's 20 weeks plus one day)

Time has been moving along, and so have I. No assistive devices for weeks now. I do notice that I do better in sneakers than the non slip loafer shoes. So I am sticking with sneaks at least till snow comes here in a couple more months.

Back at gym with some consistency. I do feel the pain a little after I work it out. I am staying in parameters that PT set with me. It's not any new or injurious pain, but soreness from strengthening muscles. Similar to sore and after core work. But instead of a one day reprieve, I give knee two to recover before reworking it.

I am getting around classroom quite easily. Even scored high marks on my first observation evaluation of year. Guess going back to my natural way of teaching helped with that. But I do notice stiffness if I sit too long (like when I plan, attend a meeting, etc), but I can get rid of it by walking a bit. I think my new teaching assistant thought I was crazy when I was pacing behind my desk every so often last week while doing loads of paperwork. But I explained to her, and it did help.

Stairs are still a bit of a nemesis for now. Leg is tired at end of day. So I try to get in regular stairs walking on weekends to help in that area.

That's the update for now. Hope you all are having good recoveries. As Tigger would say: ta ta for now :flwrysmile:
 
Thanks for the report, it helps to know what's happening at different points to different people!
 
Sounds like you are doing great...It feels great to have your life back!!!
 
@Kazilla when you speak about stairs, are you just slow at getting up and down them or still going up and down one by one. The reason I ask is I am at 14 wks and I do better going up then down, but it's still mostly one by one. The same as prior to my tkr. Wondering if it will come more natural in time or if it is something a person should work on??
 
@zzevi Going up is definitely better than down. When I'm tired I do one by one. But I'm making sure that a few times a week I'm doing the correct way. I'm about 6-7 weeks ahead of you, but in healing time, that's a huge difference. I think it's about going strength in it, and losing the fear of it not working.

Today, I shampooed my carpets. I did rest when I felt it getting tired. I elevated and took motrin. I just take things as they come. I listen to the knee, and try not to be stubborn

Tonight my plan- I'm off it for 12 hours. Planning on day trip to see fall foliage with the hubby tomorrow. Doing all I can to have it well rested. Only an hour drive, so not too bad.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom