TKR This Teacher's TKR Recovery Journey

FYI there is such a thing as winter sneakers. They are a big heavier, water proof and have more traction to keep you from slipping in snow. Here where I live we will get the first snow possibly by the end of the month and it can easily last into April so they've been a must for me. I bought them on line from Lands end or Eddie Bauer.
 
I have them ready and waiting. And the claw grips that slip over other shoes. Luckily, if there is bad snow weather they cancel school here. So I won't be out and about in it too much. Just in back yard having snowball fights with my boys. I missed that last year.
 
And the claw grips that slip over other shoes.
Many people have used these and like them:
[Bonesmart.org] This Teacher's TKR Recovery Journey


Luckily, if there is bad snow weather they cancel school here
Same here in the Cleveland area. My son is now teaching in my old classroom, but now that I am retired, I removed the school closing alert from my phone!
 
We have rain, not snow, so I need to have leather shoes, or boots, to keep my feet dry. At least if it's raining I'm not out distance walking and I'm not working, so I'm not walking around for 8 hours on hard floors either. I'm not sure that my boots and leather shoes will be wearable tho. One pair of boots has heels that can be replaced, but the others, well, they may be going to goodwill.
 
@Floridagal I know. I'm a Florida transplant. I will take snow days over hurricane days any day of the week, and twice on Sunday.

I did small hike on level trail in Cumberland Gap today. It was so quiet you literally could hear leaves fall. And they have started to change color too. I kept the walk short and used a walking stick and Hubby's shoulder.
 
Your walk sounds heavenly. Our leaves change color but are mostly drab and unexciting, not like the north. I am eager to resume hikes especially after my friend has his hip replaced. Right now we are pretty sedentary.
 
I planned my surgery so that I could enjoy a lot of already planned family and friends visiting last summer, then do the knee and have a few months for it to heal before the snow and ice set in. This first year, I'm going to get my walker back out for walking on icy parking lots. I'm not risking all we've gone through with a bad fall. The walker is a pain, but I think it's a good trade off, at least this first year.
 
Day 162 (for those counting, that's 23 weeks and 1 day)

It's been a busy term at the high school. still getting around pretty well. I do much better in sneakers, and since we did a donation event to raise money for a family fund at school...I donated and get to wear jeans everyday up to winter break. YAY!!

I even made my knee part of a lesson this week. We read a story about someone surviving less eating bacteria. So I told them about the special soap and protocols I had to use in days leading up to surgery . That it was to prevent something like that happening .

Other than a bout of strep, courtesy of my students , I'm getting some workouts in to strengthen the knee. My assistant keeps reminding me to walk around if I sit too long. I love that woman, she's watching out for me
 
After my TKR I'm ashamed to say I only wore sneakers to school. Because of that I changed my entire wardrobe from skirts and dresses to pants. I just felt steady and that sneakers made it easier to walk.

I hope your year continues to go well, it sounds like the knee is great! :thumb:
 
Day 174 (tomorrow is 25 weeks, closing in on 6 month mark)

Celebrated my birthday last weekend. I did what I haven't been able to do in better part of 2 years. I planted bulbs for my spring garden. Taking great care to not stress the knee. I sat on ground and scooted along edge of the planting bed. My son kept me company and just stayed by in case I needed anything. I'm so happy that I could do this again. It took some thinking on the "how", but I did it!! And was not sore afterwards at all .
Can't wait to see them bloom in spring.

On the work front: I'm walking more often without thinking of the knee. Watching for potential problems in hallways is second nature now. I notice some stiffness if I sit too long or drive too long and then try to stand. But once I move a bit it goes away.

:flwrysmile:
 
@Kazilla glad to know you're going on with your life! Teacher to teacher- being on your feet all day is tough! I have 1st graders so hardly any sitting for me!

I too wear sneakers! It's not really fashionable but I have more stability in them! Awesome way of getting the knee involved in your lessons. I even told my 6 year olds about my knee in case they wondered why I was limping sometimes!
 
Great report, Kazilla! Happy to read you were able to get back to an activity you love.
I went back to school last week for an event and walking on those cement floors for an evening caused major body aches for me the next day. No wonder teachers have so many health issues!
 
On the work front: I'm walking more often without thinking of the knee. Watching for potential problems in hallways is second nature now. I notice some stiffness if I sit too long or drive too long and then try to stand. But once I move a bit it goes away.
I remember those days quite well! The problems in the hallway---but soon that stiffness should slowly subside, as well. I get out of the car after long trips now a bit stiff---but not from my knees---it is other parts of my body that stiffen up!
 
How did you get up from sitting on the ground? I am afraid to try that and I have tons of yard work to do!
 
Where I was in my yard is actually an incline (house is set up on a slope from a ridge behind us). I turned so I faced the ground. Kept TKR leg straight and used my arms and other leg. Then once I was high enough I engaged that leg. Almost push up style I guess. This way I was never kneeling on that knee. I also had my 6'3" son out there on porch, so if I needed he was right there.

I am trying to figure how to do planting of my vegetable beds in spring. I have an idea, but haven't fully worked it out. Thinking of using my cooler as a seat. Will see how it works in a few months.
 
I have a roll around gardening seat, but it has no arms on it so I can't push myself up off of it. We are totally flat here so it's a long way from the ground to standing up! I have done it a couple of times in the house, but I always had something to hold on to, to help me up! I guess I need to start practicing ground to up!
 
I still struggle to get up off the floor and need something to lean on typically. Here's a guy who can do it after a bilateral, but I can't duplicate it!

 
That guy is a lot shorter and heavier than I am so I never see that happening for me.

You have some time before the spring arrives so you will be getting around much better by then. Using and many things that keeps you from being off the ground by and many things little bit will probably help.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom