THR Things couldn't have gone better. Minor hiccup but all is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
M1ke I would call doc if it's warm to touch. Is it painful? Want to make sure there is no clot. I would call.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®

Right anterior approach on April 15, 2014
 
It's warm. Not in the slightest bit painful as I never regained any feeling in that part yet. No fever either.

Also I messaged the area between the knee and the incision because it felt pretty good last night. That's when I noticed paid
 
@M1ke are you following the mantras: - rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock? If your incision is fiery (very red) I would call your surgeon. But so early out, there is lots of tenderness and soreness. Your body has been through major trauma. Follow the mantras - ice is your friend. I had 3 ice packs and rotated them.
 
I can't see the incision Jacey. The bandage is scheduled for take off on 5-6-14iill have my wife pick up another pack to put in the rotation. I can tell you I only get up to use the bathroom.
 
So if it's your leg that swollen and a bit warm - that's post op swelling. Icing and elevating - that will take care of it.
 
I thought I was icing and elevating enough but apparently not. The swelling isn't bad IMHO it's just gotten worse instead of better.
 
Not surprising. Swelling and bruising can start to appear several days after your op. My bruising didn't appear until about 4 days out. Lovely purple and green from hip to ankle. I'll tag Jo @Josephine and see what she says about post op swelling. Are you wearing compression socks by any chance?
 
For anterior do they clamp your feet in to the table or something?
I'm intrigued - why do you ask?

I assume you had an anterior- what it a direct anterior? If so they may have used a Hana table. But ordinarily feet aren't clamped.

[Bonesmart.org] Things couldn't have gone better.  Minor hiccup but all is good.


Getting concerned that I haven't had a bowel movement
Join the club! I doubt there's many who haven't been there (or not been there, according to your point of view!)
It's warm. Not in the slightest bit painful as I never regained any feeling in that part yet. No fever either.
Healing creates warmth. Don't fret about it.
Also I messaged the area between the knee and the incision because it felt pretty good last night. That's when I noticed paid
Your knee sent your incision an email? And then got paid for it? (only kidding - I know it's the predictive texting! But you have to admit it does look funny! :heehee:)
 
My heals hurt worse then the leg. I was trying to figure why.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I had the same problem. I even developed an open sore on one side. Finally used a very soft pillow under my leg when I slept. Anything to keep your heel off the end of the bed. A towel folded lengthwise under that leg will work as well.
 
That's what he nurse ended up doing for me. I am just not sure what caused it. More curious then anything. After seeing the Hannah table I just assumed it was the boots. It's all good now though :)
 
I can give an update today between episodes of Dexter.

I am currently taking the minimal dosage for pain med by the clock. What that means is 5 Mgs of oxy every 3hours. Every 8 hours I take acetaminophen and at breakfast and dinner I take laxatives and aspirin for blood clots. I am in no pain walking or lying whatsoever!

The swelling in my upper thigh has gotten worse in the last 24 hours probably because I haven't been icing aggressive enough.

Probably most interesting thing to note is a debate with a friend. We were talking about my return to bike racing. She just got through telling me how much better I was going to feel but don't be surprised if I can't return to bike racing.... I'm saying,"wait a minute, you think I'm going to feel much better but not be able to race?" She says,"ya, something like that." What am I missing here? I did 17 races on that old arthritic hip from August to December and could barely walk after a race but I still did it. And she doesn't want me to get my hopes up and think there will be at least some improvement? I'm confused.

Anybody understand where she's coming from?
 
Don't know much about that. Where there is a will there is a way. I believe in time and healing.. You will be able to do what ever you set your mind to.. I believe we are capable if doing anything that is important enough to us.. But that is my perspective on life in general..


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Thanks @psychteach we are right of course and my friend is wrong lol

That's my point to her. If I could race on old painful why couldn't I race on my new hip? Unless of course something goes wrong which is always a possibility and one I am not ignoring.

So am I missing something psychteach?
 
I always question why people feel the need to be negative.. And say it:) be positive.. Sure I am doing great at thAt for others.. Lol


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
[Bonesmart.org] Things couldn't have gone better.  Minor hiccup but all is good.
[Bonesmart.org] Things couldn't have gone better.  Minor hiccup but all is good.
@M1ke, I think your friend does not understand how hip replacement works. Once you are completely healed, you will probably forget about your hip. Of course, you'll be able to bike again---may need to ease into it over a period of time; but you should get back to being as good, if not better, as you were before the hip became a problem.

I can see you now___
[Bonesmart.org] Things couldn't have gone better.  Minor hiccup but all is good.
 
I can only agree with the previous posts. If you take it easy during recovery, and build your strength up again, I see no reason why you shouldn't race again. The only thing is, should you have a major dismount the consequences might be more ... dramatic than pre-op.
We look forward to hearing all about it her though @M1ke :yahoo:
 
Going on vacation with another couple in July. My anterior hip was done April 15. My friend asked if I will need a wheelchair.. Really? I'm going to scream!!!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®

Right anterior approach on April 15, 2014
 
Thanks for the comments. If ever there were a low time it's when a friend who is usually very astute says something like that. I know she wasn't trying to be negative but "realistic" as she put it. I know better than that but put a lot of faith in what she says too.

Totally off topic but I should list out all the really weird dreams I've been having. So strange!

I feel back on top already. Thanks everyone.
 
Going on vacation with another couple in July. My anterior hip was done April 15. My friend asked if I will need a wheelchair.. Really? I'm going to scream!!!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®

Right anterior approach on April 15, 2014
Get ready for all the comments about how well your doing.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom