Guest viewing is limited

THR Things couldn't have gone better. Minor hiccup but all is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am sure you will be physically capable of racing - the question is should you. There will be extra risk associated with the intensity of racing - its your decision. If I remember correctly it was a racing injury that started the joint problems that put you on the operating table. My question would be if you fall are you more likely to suffer a serious injury because of the hip implant. I don't know the answer and am curious for myself. I have resumed riding my road bike and yesterday my neighbor, who had a hip replaced about 18 months ago, told me she thought I was taking too much risk in case of a fall. I am a pretty cautious non competitive rider so I think my risk isn't too high, but I am not sure about this.
 
Hi @AlanInAZ

No one has ever accused me of being the smartest guy in the world. I am a guy that wants to live and challenge myself physically. I've been wired this way from birth I suppose and there isn't much I can do about it. I can quit racing now and go on existing day to day and when I'm 80 look back and see all that I didn't do because I was afraid to break another hip. The other option is of course to race my heart out, have a great time with my friends, continue to make friends, and have something to think about when I'm in my 80s. OR I could crash again and break myself to the point where I'm in a wheelchair. There's that too. Or I could get killed in a car wreck.

Point is, I don't know what's going to happen to me so it ONLY makes sense to live the way I want to live at the moment. I've watched my dad stick his head in the sand so much his whole life that There's no way I'm not going to learn from that. My dad is in his 80s lives alone, has no friends, and has only me because his dog died. That's how his life will end, the man that never took a risk in his life.
 
Just sticking my nose in to say:
1-- it doesn't have to be all or nothing as far as extremes of activity
2-- you are not your dad

All the best,
Ellen
 
[Bonesmart.org] Things couldn't have gone better.  Minor hiccup but all is good.
I'm with you @M1ke. Just being alive is a risk, so might as well make the most of it, get as much joy out of it, and do as much as we can today----we may not have a tomorrow!
 
I would imagine you can do pretty much anything you want to do (except bungee jumping and skydiving, and really weird contortionist yoga poses, according to my OS); just don't start doing the "pretty much anything" too soon! I probably won't go back to running (at least not as much), but that's more about the fact that my knees are kinda dicey than my hip replacements. Doc advised me to try to act like I have some sense in order to preserve my knees. I'll sure be riding my bike, though, and skateboarding with my grandsons.

My swelling appeared on the 4th or 5th day out. It got better with elevation. Are you elevating enough? I mean toes above nose?

I also had some REALLY bizarre dreams early on -- not sure if it was the meds, or the surgical trauma, or what -- but really bizarre ones -- too bad none of them involved the Chippendales!

Peace and love to you.
 
Did the Hospital give a stocking for your leg? also work your feet up and down to help with circulation. Helps with stopping swelling.
 
@M1ke If you look through the threads here you will see that there are a lot of folks who return to very strenuous activities following hip/knee replacements, both work and sports/hobbies - skiing, motorcycles, bicycling, hiking, police work, fire fighting, roofing, horse shoeing and horse riding (leisure riding and professional show riding), dancing of all kinds, etc, etc . I think the key here is YOU - and what your surgeon says. My surgeon told me (and I was 64yo and not ever very athletic) the only forbidden activity was bungy cord jumping ..... not on MY bucket list anyway. Go slow, make sure you are fully recovered from this surgery before getting back to any kind of intense activities, and especially make sure all the muscles that got thrown out of whack before the surgery are back in tip-top condition. When you do get back to cycling, again go slow and make sure your balance, reflexes, physical condition are all optimal. It might take you a year or more to get back to where you want to be ..... but that AINT forever!

I don't know why your friend said what she did - caution maybe, not wanting you to be disappointed maybe, or maybe she knows someone who got hurt after a hip replacement and is concerned about you ---- but she is not you and like Shrinkette said you are not your Dad or anyone else. Just tell her thanks for the concern but you'll trust in your medical team and all the "been there, done that experts" here at BoneSmart.
 
Everyone thanks. Man I was having a tough time sleeping last night. As important as sleep is I was getting a little distraught. I was feeling yucky again and knew I just needed sleep. It did finally happen of course but while laying there with my leg propped it occurred to me. I broke my own caffeine rules without even stopping to think about it. My rule is no caffeine after 3pm because I am very sensitive to it and one cup will keep me from sleeping. I've done this a couple nights without thinking just trying to keep a variety of fluids flowing. Ugh. So it's 3 am and I'm not tired though I did get some sleep.

The swelling was never bad, it was just getting worse. I wasn't elevating because I had very little swelling and the hospital hadn't given direction on icing and swelling. If I get to fill out a questionnaire they will rank high in every category except that. Anyway it's going back down now due to elevation and ice of course. And yes my toes above nose :) I wonder if the leg Warmers I have for riding might have enough compression? Something to try and it's 5 feet from my bed.

I need very little pain meds! I am toying with the idea of extending time between doses now. I am very happy about this as the narcotics have done their damage in other areas. I'll be going on a 100 percent fruit and veggie smoothie diet tomorrow. I can't eat any more solids just can't lol

The hip feels like someone went in and fixed the old one! It's amazing how smooth the movement is. The constant gravel noise popping and clicking totally gone. The movement feels glassy smooth. So all the other stuff I can talk about? Pales in comparison to this! It's easy to be positive when you recognize this.

My surgery was 4 hours I just learned from my wife. Wow what went on in there? I know the original device we talked about using wasn't used because he couldn't find a stem long enough. He said he had to try to fit multiple devices. I know there was bleeding. Wondering what else could hold things up?

Time for me to see if I can help or encourage someone!
 
I just had the best idea ever. I am using a leg warmer for cycling as a compression stocking. Feels sooo good. Thought I'd share.

Oh and the irony of it? Look at my avatar. That's what those guys are wearing. They are full length and go under the shorts right up to the groin. Did I say it feels amazing!
 
Did the Hospital give a stocking for your leg? also work your feet up and down to help with circulation. Helps with stopping swelling.
I owe you a cold one. You planted a seed. The hospital didn't give me one but I had one 5 feet from my bed the whole time. Feels great.
 
When can I start taking ibuprofin or other pain relief. I feel I need some anti inflammatory.
 
Hey @M1ke - Not sure if this will help, but my OS doesn't want me taking any aspirin or ibuprofen meds (NSAIDs) yet, as he has me taking a blood thinner for 10 days (Xarelto) and doesn't want my blood to be too thin! So far, just taking the Oxy, Dilaudid and Tylenol throughout the day has helped manage my pain, and the icing and elevating is really helping my mobility and post op stiffness. Hope this helps!!
 
Once again, different OS have varying methods. I was on blood thinners too, and have really only had Paracetamol since I left the clinic (having refused Ixprim). I didn't ask about Ibufrofen or similar though, as my pain levels were quite low. Give your OS or GP a call in the morning @M1ke
 
Your right ill just call him. I want off of these narcotics and just on regular old ibuprofin if possible. I am almost to the point where I can go off the narcs but not quiet I need something to replace them. Gives me really weird dreams lol
 
If you are on oxycodone, ask to get hydrocondone (Vicodin) - I found it was effective but far less "narcotic" feeling. Then move to acetaminophen (Tylenol). Ibuprofen is not as effective.
 
Tomorrow I get to take off the bandage and see the handiwork! They used dissolving stitches so I don't have an appt to remove them.

Swelling under control using ice and elevating. I am tight because of it and just not sure how it's supposed to be 5 days post op. I would be getting around absolutely fine with no assistance if the swelling were gone. Instead it's creating tightness around the joint. 5 days post op, I'll bet that's to be expected.

Here is the problem. Everyone's gotta have at least one right?

I have developed night starts (hypnic jerking). Nearly every time I reach that point where your just drifting off to sleep my body starts awake like someone ran electricity through it. I jerk so hard that it hurts the surgery and wakes me up. Then the cycle repeats itself over and over. I went through hours of this the other night. Very frustrating.

Anyway I started digging and found a junkie forum (for lack of a better name) where some of them describe this as a side effect of opioids. Lemme tell you this stuff makes me itchy, hallucinate, dream and it won't let me sleep. It's going away after that phone call tomorrow.
 
I was in hospital for 5 days, when they sent me home I had diclofenac and tramadol. After two weeks I was off the tramadol. They gave me a stocking to stop any blood clots, I must admit I had no trouble sleeping.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom