Guest viewing is limited

THR Things couldn't have gone better. Minor hiccup but all is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey thought about you when I heard of school shooting in Oregon. It can be a very dangerous profession we are in these days:( . Is that near your school?


LTHR Direct Anterior May 19, 2014
 
Hi,

Yes very close. The school is probably 5 miles away so it really is a neighboring school for us. Terrible thing really.... I wasn't at school so I dont know how many of our students were affected. I do know that one teacher that I used to coach cross country with was in the locker room next door to the incedent. I haven't talked to her yet but obviously it will be life changing for her.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Mike
 
Last edited by a moderator:
That is horrible. It is really something these days that we must think of working in a high school. I can tell you teaching psychology that there are a lot of kids dealing with mental illness.. Add that on top of normal teen issues and it is a recipe for disaster. So sorry it was so close to home.. That is so sad and scary?:(


LTHR Direct Anterior May 19, 2014
 
Yes really really awful. I wonder what the climate will be like in that school next year in the wake of all that.

In reading emails from my school the principal put security and all the VPs on heightened security. He made sure more adults were in the hallways.

Your completely right. We deal with these kids where for whatever reason the psychological needs just aren't being met. We deal with kids whose parents need as much help or more than the student.

How many students enrolled in your school? Several years ago there was a push for small schools that seemingly went away. Maybe time to revisit that idea? I dunno.
 
Try living in south florida!!! Lol. There are such serious issues with bad parenting or non existent parenting. We have 2500 in our high school.. How about you? I am lucky I am in an A high school , not like some of the bad schools.. But truthfully, kids who are trying to figure out mental illness either in a parent or themselves take psychology so I have an over percentage of issues I see.. Their writings make me scared and sad at same time:(


LTHR Direct Anterior May 19, 2014
 
Haha we meaning both of us/ all of us. I don't know if a teacher exists that doesn't deal with this at least on some levels. Some much more than others I'm sure!

2500 scares the heck out of me! We are at 1700 I think. Reynolds HS where the shooting occurred is the largest high school in Oregon I think. I'd have to look up their enrollment though.

I have a feeling south Florida really does have it's challenges. It seems a lot of the southern states do.
 
We are the third largest district in the country. We have one high school that has 4100 students!!! But it is also in the list for top 20 high schools in country! It is always in the back of my head .. You just never know what is going on at home or in some kids mind.. It is a reality for teachers unfortunately. South florida has some mixed up values.. I am happy my own kids are beyond high school age.. It seems to be getting worse with lack if work ethic etc. I love my job,. But I do worry for our future.. Glad you and people you know are safe.. Is school over there? Our school ended June 5th.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
That is absolutely a huge district. I couldn't imagine. :)

School let out Friday with Monday as a grading day. I'll be helping the sub polish up the grading and getting them submitted.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom