Guest viewing is limited

THR The sequel of Sequin 1998<

@sequin98
So with the SuperPath the OS basically does a mini-posterior approach to access the hip joint. The unique part is that the joint capsule is incised and the hip is not mechanically dislocated to access the femur for stem placement. The head of femur is surgically cut and removed from the "socket".
A second smaller (mine is about an inch) incision is used to place an instrument up to clean out and prepare the socket for the new cup. All of this is accomplished with a minimal capsule incision and retraction of muscles surrounding hip joint.
My surgeon went to great lengths to explain how he lengthens the piriformis muscle attachment without cutting or removing any part of the joint capsule from bone.

Apparently the fact that the hip joint is not dislocated for access and is surgically cut instead, and the joint capsule is essentially kept intact, except for the one incision for access, is key in keeping the joint stable. This is what apparently allows for the "no restrictions" claim from most surgeons who utilize this approach.

My OS also uses anterior approach (and apparently does not mechanically dislocate with this either)
with some patients and seems to be very conservative in his surgical choices and post op routine.
I also have Ehlers Danlos Syndrome and maybe that's why I have restrictions.
It's my first question for him on Thursday.

Josephine wrote a great article about it ant it is posted here on BS I just can't find it right now.

Hope you're having a forward day!
 
Thank you for the explanation! I have got to stop laying in bed for 12 hours...every joint suffers. At least the sleep has improved.
 
How normal is tightness in the legs when first waking up? It feels like I cant stretch enough..
 
@sequin98 - I don’t know about others, but I am extremely tight in the morning. Really after any period of sleep, even just shifting my sleep position, it takes me a while for the muscles to release. For me, it’s just on the operative side. The other leg is fine.

Hope you are doing well otherwise!
 
my left hip snaps a lot...no pain though. What could be the deal? My OS said judging by the xray, it should last 10 years...
 
i had my right hip replaced...the non op one is clicking and supposed to last 10 years without surgery.
 
In my case, my right hip looked great about two years ago. So great that when I saw my surgeon initially for pain we thought it was bursitis (it partially was) and he didn’t X-ray to look for OA. Before each replacement both of my hips seemed fine and then boom. It would be nice if the 10 year prediction holds true. I had 6 years between each one.
 
I'm guessing you have been putting more stress on it...with your other one weak.
Sure hope you are feeling better and won't be long before you'll see the potential this new hip will bring.
Healing Mojo coming at you:friends:
 
I admit, I am torn. I almost (almost) wish I never had the surgery. Tunnel vision is a drag. That, and it is still crappy out. I can't pick up those hair balls like I used to...
 
@sequin98
Seems like the recovery is moving slower for us? I too am surprised at the issues I am still having post op.
Stopped PT exercises as of a week ago Friday, when I visited the ODIC.
As much pain as prior to surgery, still need the walker, I have yet to see any benefit from my surgery really. I had my OS appointment and he said time, time, time. So what choice do I have. I am walking and trying to concentrate on good form, posture etc.
Only bright spot is I do have better weather, 70's finally, with sun. We had snow a week ago!
The hair balls in my house are multiplying too...
 
@BeBe ...what do we expect?
I am sure I am letting other's expectations shape mine. They said my age and fitness level would be a huge plus. But in reality I had an extra long posterior wound. I am able to go without assistance of a walker or crutches in my house and I am not even a month in.

I am still doing my pt exercises. I need to relax and take a breath. It may still snow outside, but at least I can walk. I will strut again!
Thanks for listening.
 
@sequin98 - I can 100% relate to you post!

“You’ll bounce back so fast”
“You are young and in shape, you’ll be working out again in a couple weeks”
“You will breeze through recovery”
“My friend had hip replacement and was walking without a cane in a week. I bet you will too”
“Hips are easy (compared to knee replacement)”

...all said to me by people with no knowledge of the state of my hip and by people who have not had THR!!

In fact, it is major surgery and our bodies go through so much. And you don’t know what issues you might have with muscles, spasms, other joints, etc. We just can’t project how our recovery is going to go, but if we are lucky (and we follow our guidelines), we’ll keep getting better and better every week.

Try to focus on how far you have come. You really are doing great... and spring HAS to be coming, right??? Our weather here is back to awful, too. Good days are ahead!

And the hair balls, lol. Same here, my kids swear they don’t see them so they walk right past. :rotfl:
 
I don't believe half of those miraculous recovery stories...and am sure many who hit the ground running develop chronic issues that don't reveal...
I was well into month Four before I was convinced all was worth it..AND considering I had two hips replaced..consider THAT miraculous.
Normal Normal Normal.
Your age and fitness WILL serve you well, but there is alot of trauma that HAS to heal before you can make that hip perform.
Don't worry... don't compare.
It will make you crazy!
Healing hugs:hugzz:
 
Last edited:
ok..a month in and my non op foot still ferls like it's on fire during the night, despite stopping the suspect meds. what else could this be? (I am not diabetic)
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom