TKR The Knees and Me - staged

Another milestone (I think, I hope...) With the help of a novel and a bit of Tylenol, I got a good night's sleep!
:wowspring:
 
WooHoo on a night's sleep! No worries, @SusieShoes ,I'm sure it wasn't the content of the novel, just the act of reading made eyes tired and sleepy :):yawn: @rubyyarn here's to a continued trend of restful nights!:fingersx::cheers:
 
@SusieShoes, it wasn't lack of interest in the tale, but said tale is over 500 pages long! It occurred to me that being ready for bed and being ready to sleep are two different things. So I think I shall be rediscovering fiction :yes:
 
I read every night before falling asleep. It's so relaxing and takes me to another world!
 
The threads are back! Whew!

The novel + Tylenol seems to be working for sleep. During the day an occasional ice bag and I'm good to go. Now to wait out the rest of the healing.
 
Why is it that the knee can be an angel all day long--no drugs, an occasional ice bag--then go ballistic as soon as the lights go out? This isn't restless legs, it's an achy, growly thing with occasional sharp stabs.

I guess this is part of the wonder of healing, but gee... :banghead:
 
I think if any of us had the real answer, we would be rich by now! My guess is that at night we lay down, everything kindof equalizes in terms of fluids and stuff, muscles relax (in theory :)), so all the stuff that aches and zings and stabs can come out to play. :wave: Maybe it's in response to what we did during the day, maybe not.:shrug: I wish I had a *real* explanation.:sad:
 
Why knees complain at night is one of the mysteries of the universe, right up there with why do foods that are bad for us taste so good. :shrug: If it's any consolation, they do stop complaining. Mine did, last week. Three and a half months. Some get there sooner, and others later. Have you tried icing before heading to bed? That helped me a lot.
 
I continued to take medication at bedtime for a longer time than I did during the day. I used tramadol and had great success. I still use it occasionally. It is a prescription med (at least in the US) but not as strong as something like oxycodone, Vicodin or Percocet.
 
Nighttime pain is an indication is that you are doing too much during the day. Try cutting out some of your activities for a week or so and you should have less pain at night.
 
The million dollar question!! It reminds me of my children when they were small and now my little grandchildren. They can be angels all day but come bedtime .......the monsters come out! I think @Fire wolf has something there that has to do with muscle relaxation and levelling of body fluids. Whatever it is, it is certainly annoying but you are certainly not alone! I have about one in every four or five nights that is irritant free!
Can't wait to be able to put this oddity into the past tense!
 
I still will sometimes go to bed with ice on to try to minimize some of it, though it has improved lately for me.
 
Why is it that the knee can be an angel all day long--no drugs, an occasional ice bag--then go ballistic as soon as the lights go out?
One explanation I've heard and seems to fit my experience, at least part of the time, is that the pain isn't necessarily worse at night, it's just amplified and more noticeable because there's nothing else drawing our attention.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom