TKR The Knees and Me - staged

Wait....maybe not. Perhaps something a little more flattering since she will have to undertake some very serious, leading knee duties in a month? Perhaps....I dunno...."Chatty-Cathy?"
 
@Pheebs52, I'm so used to calling her 'the knee' that I may stick with that. Though I came up with a couple of more heroic names like Brunhildknee or O-Knee-Wan (so I could call the other one O-Knee-Two). Or 'Jaws' for her recent behavior.

I'd best leave well enough alone...
 
Talk about Knee Names triggered a memory.
About 3 decades ago when Elton John's song was popular, a neighbour got a puppy soon after she got back from knee rehab. (actually he surprised her with pup and said he would train her to be a pick-things-up service dog) Since her husband was trilingual and loved word games, they decided to call their pup Kneekita. (alas the Labrador is no longer, died at 12 years). Come to think of it... I haven't seen those neighbours in a while either...or I'd have compared notes with her.
 
Last edited:
I am now 10 weeks out from surgery, so I guess I should do some kind of report or other...

Don't know if it is some kind of milestone or what, but today I put my right foot upon my left knee so I could dry my foot. What will be next? Don't think I'll try kneeling until the other knee is done :)

In summary recovery so far is:

Week 1 - surgery. Documentation of a hospital stay would take way too many pages. Suffice it to say I was glad to get home.
Week 2 - I seriously spent time wondering What Was I Thinking? What genius decided that knee surgery was a good idea? Wait a minute, that was me!
Week 3 - Had a meltdown moment. The Blues hit in a big way! So I went to bed with the fan blowing on me and cried until I got over it all. Thank goodness DH was busy with other things. He's only been waiting on me like some kind of princess, and I didn't want him to think it was his fault. Also started PT.
Week 4 - I think I found BoneSmart about this time. Every time I Googled pain, bruising, or whatever, I was taken here. Decided to join.
Week 5-8 - Stitches removed, gave up walker, able to give up cane in the house. Pain getting less and less, working to get off of Percocet.
Present - Sleep an issue, pain is not. When pain causes sleeplessness, Tylenol works. Can go up and down stairs, but very slowly. I feel the hard part is behind me, but I can see twinges, aches, and weirdness could continue for quite a while. Not ready for our September trip to the Richmond race because of the sleep issue. Couldn't make it last year because of the arthritis issue. Next year? All of this will be a memory.

I get the other knee done on 9/26 so it will be rinse and repeat. Hopefully Knee#2 goes as well as Knee #1. Knee #1 is strong and secure. I find myself trusting her when I need to choose a leg to stand on.

In the end, I am glad I chose to have this done.
 
P.S. Love your description of Week 4; so true, lol!
 
You're having a model recovery! We all have a wretched first few weeks, even those of us who can find silver linings in every cloud, but then things start looking up. The sleep thing... let me exhale a long sigh here. Sleep can be the worst part of recovery in some way. I'm only now, at four months out, starting to sleep "normally."

What you said that struck me most: That your TKR knee is now your "good" knee! That's so affirming.
 
Today is my 12 week knee-versary!

Not a whole lot new to report. The knee still aches now and then, at least until I did something stupid yesterday. I needed to move my recliner over far enough so I could reach between the recliner and the table to work the lever. So I planted my feet, grabbed the recliner arms and hitched it over. Bad move. The knee went YOW! and I went "Oh :censored: !" Then I dove under the nearest ice bag and hoped for the best. Needed some Tylenol early this morning, but now everything seems fine.

When I came to BoneSmart I purposely avoided threads that hinted at bad experiences. Now that my own surgery turned out well, I have looked at some of those threads and am glad of my original decision. What stories! May everyone involved come to a good ending! But early in my recovery I was afraid to think of all that might go wrong.

So now, looming on the horizon is the replacement of knee #2. 9/26 is the surgery date. Hopefully it will go as well as knee #1. Or better! At least I have some idea of what to expect. My plan is:

Take the pills as long as necessary
Ice and elevate
Delay PT or skip it altogether
Don't worry

God bless BoneSmart!
 
Happy Kneeversary Rubyyarn! Sounds like you are doing well - as long as you don't try to move furniture! I also figured out the hard way why my PT said don't be hauling around things heavier than about 10 lbs a couple of weeks ago . . . fortunately at this stage we bounce back more quickly. You sound like you are in a good frame of mind, with a good plan for #2. Hopefully #1 will be in even better shape by then.
 
Kathleen, I hope so too. I figure the drugs I take for knee #2 will help out knee #1 if necessary :heehee:
 
I did the exact same thing with my recliner. My DH was so annoyed when he got home. "Why didn't you wait for me?" Glad to hear the experience was fairly benevolent! Icing is so annoying, but so welcome when needed!

I like your plan for Knee #2. Expect good things and they will come to you.
 
Happy Kneeversary @rubyyarn! It's great to hear just how well you're doing and I heartily approve your plan for Knee #2, lol. A positive attitude and a large dose of humor really do go a long way toward recovery, eh? Moving recliners, well...not so much. Glad to hear you bounced back quickly though! Just think, by the Holidaze, you'll be right about where you are now with recovery and you'll be DONE! Whoohoo, what a great gift to yourself!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom