Guest viewing is limited

TKR The Knees and Me - staged

NSAIDs are good for inflammation, as in bruised and mangled tissues. Opiates are good for bone pain, as

For what it's worth, my OS told me to stay away from nsaids for at least 2 months post op. The explanation was that early on you don't want to get rid of the inflammatory process as that is what is bringing the healing stuff to the area, so taking that away inhibits healing.
 
@Fire wolf, that makes some sense. Right now I use ibuprofen about once a day for the arthritic pain in my left knee. When this flare is done, I'll drop the ibuprofen.
 
I've been Percocet-free for at least 48 hours. Had some trouble with restless legs for the last couple of days. I get those every blue moon or so in my lower legs. A quilt pulled up to my knees usually stops all that. This time, however, the crawlies were in my thighs! They yipped and twitched and nearly drove me nuts! Pillow Dance and Rotisserie Chicken were nothing to this! :catdance:

And that emoji is no lie! The quilt didn't help, either. This was two nights ago.

After checking this forum I tried some things when the beast returned last night. I took some Tylenol and put a heating pad across my back. I also had wool socks on my feet and had the quilt up around my neck. Cozy, especially on a warm summer night. But it worked. The yips were there, but not so bad, and by 1:30 or so they were nearly gone.

It really felt like a sleepless night to me. But my husband let me know that in the wee hours the cat brought a mouse up on the bed. The critter was dead, fortunately, but my husband had to get up, find a glove, separate cat from corpse, and throw said corpse into the yard. Apparently I slept through all of that so I must have got some zzzz's at some point.
 
Ah, what a nice gift in the middle of the night. Great that you slept through all that!
 
For what it's worth, my OS told me to stay away from nsaids for at least 2 months post op. The explanation was that early on you don't want to get rid of the inflammatory process as that is what is bringing the healing stuff to the area, so taking that away inhibits healing.
NSAIDS don't work particularly well for post-op inflammation anyway and there are dangers associated with their use. They can cause severe gastric bleeding and should never be taken on an empty stomach, or if you have any indigestion or nausea. In addition, a recent study has shown that NSAIDS can pre-dispose you towards developing heart disease. NSAIDs Diclofenac. ibuprofen increase risk of heart problems: new study

I wish they weren't prescribed so frequently. They're not the harmless little pills the advertising would have you believe.
 
omg @rubyyarn ~ i'm glad you weren't awake for the lovely gift your kitty brought you lol. hope your solution for restless legs continues to help you sleep.:kitty:
 
Today I drove! It was just to the local library where our knitting group meets, but I did it! Had to leave early because the knee started aching :bolt:I'll give it another try next week.

Got home to find the forum back up and everything changed. Hey, @Pheebs52, do you know you are a new member? Ahh, the fountain of youth :heehee:
 
Congrats on the driving! It's so liberating to know you can go when and where you wish. Next week might be the week the knee starts behaving. The forum is sort of half-working for me at the moment, but I have high hope it will be back to normal soon!
 
I've lost staff privileges, too, Susie! Here's hoping it's all fixed soon.
 
Staff privileges and... where are the little friendlies? The Like, Agree, etc. buttons have disappeared. Or maybe they moved and I haven't found them. Fear not, @rubyyarn, I shall Like you again! Your recovery is full of nice surprises.
 
Staff privileges and... where are the little friendlies? The Like, Agree, etc. buttons have disappeared. Or maybe they moved and I haven't found them. Fear not, @rubyyarn, I shall Like you again! Your recovery is full of nice surprises.
I miss the friendlies too...and even the Like button is gone now.

New/upgraded software can be a good thing...once the bugs are worked out :spider:
 
Progress yay! I'm sure next week you will be able to stay for the whole meeting!
 
Thanks, Marie and Pegi! The Like buttons seem to have got lost in the shuffle, but I do appreciate your comments. This recovery is so strange, one day good, the next not. Thank goodness for BoneSmart!
 
Well done Ruby! I am also missing the friendlies . . . glad to know it wasn't just me. I'm very glad that you were able to join the knitting group - even if for a short time. I am doing the same with my spin class. I can't stay for the whole time but it just feels good to be getting back to some of my pre-TKR activities.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom