Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR The Historian - recovery diary

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me the fluid on the knee was the last thing to leave -- indeed my knees are still not completely without it, and I'm at four months. It restricts flexion a bit, but no other symptoms. I'd not worry about it.

Except it keeps me up a pissing while. :secretaea:
 
Final reading from home PT

Flexion: 125 Left, 111 Right
Extension: 5 Left, 0 Right

Bending on the right is a problem from the swelling and the nerve damage. The therapist think I might hit 130 on both sides when it clears up. Extension on the left is my old problem of the shorter hamstring. It might be a tissue contracture and I might never get to zero on that side. If so, I'll live with it.
 
More questions: Any thoughts on aquatherapy during recovery?

And, how soon after surgery can I drive my car? Getting in and out isn't a problem and I'm not on drugs that impair my ability to drive.
 
Aqua therapy is fantastic! I go to a fitness pool and march in the pool, increasing my flexion quite nicely, plus do other exercises.

You should not use a pool until the scars are fully healed (no scabs).

I believe your surgeon will clear you to drive. Getting in and of the car is one thing; reacting in an emergency (like a sudden hard braking situation) is a bigger concern.
 
Clunking sound? Mine have never made any noise, but feel like a kinda clicking is going on, gradually declining over the weeks.
 
Clunking sound? Mine have never made any noise, but feel like a kinda clicking is going on, gradually declining over the weeks.

Yes, feeling is a better description than sound. As far as I know its not audible. My old knees made noise and people nearby could hear it.
 
I think we all have a tendency to misinterpret our feelings/sensations. Well anyway I do; I get a pain, and I equate it to a pre-op pain, although that's impossible of course. I do find that if I concentrate hard then that kind of self deception or illusion does tend to lift.

There are no words to describe the 'clunking'. It might be like a soft ratchet, or thick tendons 'flicking' over a rough surface. But it definitely declines. I think it's the old tendons tightening around the new joint, but that's just a guess really.
 
HI! guys, I have that same sensation when walking. I feel the clicking but don't hear it. I have it sometimes and sometimes I don't. But since it doesn't hurt in any way, I've learned to pretty much ignore it.
 
:ccheers: Worth a small celebration----its just so liberating!
 
Bought a cane. Trying to use it instead of the walker. I named it "Herman".... politically active Americans will get the pun.....

Excess swelling is now gone from the right leg and foot. Only problem continues to be the nerve damage - I can't raise my big toe, for instance. Putting on my socks and shoes feels a little odd.
 
Hey, TheHistorian. I wanted to refer to your surgery and the date, but you don't have a signature. We all do and it helps the Moderators.

Congrats on the permission to drive. That's huge!
 
Hey, TheHistorian. I wanted to refer to your surgery and the date, but you don't have a signature. We all do and it helps the Moderators.

Congrats on the permission to drive. That's huge!

My signature is where I put my signature. Since my surgical procedure isn't me, I don't list it there. I didn't want to bring it up on Bonesmart since most of you have been so nice, but its been my experience on other forums that listing medical procedures or disabilities in your signature line is one step closer to thinking that's what you are. I've spent years rejecting the label "disabled" because I had scoliosis and a valgus deformity, and I'm not going to slap the label "BLKR 3/8/12" on myself now. I had those things; they never had me.

If the Moderators tell me to do it I can't stop them; I can only stop posting.
 
We certainly don't want you to stop posting. The surgery dates are really just to help us respond better when you post. It's not mandatory to have a signature in order to be a participating member....just strongly recommended for the benefit of the people who are following your story.
 
TheHistorian. I'm sorry I made mention of something that's not pleasant to you. I certainly didn't mean to imply that you are your procedure. I personally think it's a good point of reference since we're all sharing our recovery from the same procedure. Consider my comment withdrawn.
 
Just exactly what I've been thinking you look like!!!! She's quite a little artist, and probably has made you look better than you do-----just kidding. Its really cute.

And just a personal note, I have never at any point equated myself with my Bone Smart signature. But we do all see things in a different light.

We love you anyway. Judy
 
Just rescheduled PT for tomorrow. I woke up and felt dizzy. Probably lack of sleep.
 
PT was so brutal I had to take Tylenol. But I got to spend 8 minutes on a stationary bike. It was my first bike ride since New Year's Day. Legs felt like jelly when I was done. It was great. If all goes well I can start riding outside in a couple of weeks.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom