Bilateral TKR The Historian - recovery diary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shower bench installed. It works, but it's not easy to use, and it partly floods the bathroom. But I'm clean for the first time in ages, it seems, and I feel human again.

The blood result turned up at last, and I'm at 2.2 INR. No more bee stings in the belly with Lovanox.

Flexion 110, Extension zero Right 7 Left. The left leg will be the problem child, since my hamstrings are very tight there.
 
Good news on the shower but be careful cleaning up the water on the floor. Your figures for the right knee are very good.
 
The left hamstring will be a lifelong problem. Last fall I had temporary nerve blockers applied and the psyiatrist was only able to get me to 5. Lets see what aggressive stretching achieves.
 
I could not agree with you more. At the hospital they were very good-----I asked and they told me every med, the dose, what it was for, and, if for any reason I thought I did not need it, they listened and respected me, if they disagreed they did so respectfully and would allow me to consult my doctor. It was totally different at the rehab and one reason I left there. But I think taking responsibility for our own health includes not blindly taking meds just because someone brought them in and hands them to you in a cup. (of course it goes without saying there were days I was too out of it to do anything else)
 
Historian your measurements are inspiring, because I have the problems also from the knee that became crooked and trying to get extension back (I am 10 days out, 90 flexion and 18 extension, which is an improvement over what it was)
Like you I am taller now! (so cool, isn't it??) I made my husband measure me 2 nights ago and gained an inch and a quarter, making me almost as tall as I used to be.
Betsy
 
Historian sorry about the embolism and hope you are feeling better each day. The setbacks are hard but you will be moving ahead before you know it. We installed a shower bench also and I love it. I did not get a shower at the hospital or even at the rehab because he nurses at rehab told me they were too busy. So when I got home we installed the bench and one nice thing was I could put the surgical leg out and keep the bandage dry. I finally felt human again and the water was so relaxing. I'll be seeing the doctor for my first office follow up next week. We'll be riding our bikes again soon.
betsy
 
Historian, I'm just now catching up with your thread and I'm so sorry to hear all you've been through. Sadly, these things happen and I think you have handled it all very well. Keep looking forward to the good days that are coming. You're going to get there!!
 
Lets see what aggressive stretching achieves.
Lots of gentle stretching might work better, stretch too hard and the body reacts against it. It takes ages, so don't get disheartened (hark at me, this man's been through more than many of us...)
 
Visiting nurse during her visit Friday was very pleased with my vital signs, but the degree of swelling in my right leg prompted a call to the surgeon's office. I now have an appointment Tuesday for an examination. I might be given a script for a water pill or an antibiotic. Here are the legs three weeks out.
 
Looking good, hope the swelling is nothing more than, well, swelling!
 
Lots of gentle stretching might work better, stretch too hard and the body reacts against it. It takes ages, so don't get disheartened (hark at me, this man's been through more than many of us...)

Agreed. By aggressive I meant frequent.
 
Comments I was sent by a health care worker friend. I don't know how much of this is solid and how much is pessimism. Any comments?

"We have about half of our patients getting PEs after bilateral TKAs. Not sure why. We anticoagulate but it happens. I hope the new knees work out well for you. I understand that you lost weight prior to this. In our practice, BMI > 50 is a contraindication for new knees, and above 40 is relatively contraindicated. Knees have a higher failure rate above 40. Anyway, good luck on your road to recovery."
 
It looks like pessimism to me. 50% get PEs!! I would've thought that amazingly high!

Higher failure rate BMI > 40. Well, you have that issue in the crosshairs by all your previous posts -- and being able to ride your bike'll help no end.
 
Historian,
Your friends information just does not feel right to me.:no2:
Not backed up with research for them to be making blanket statements like that.
Stay focused on your healing and don't let the turkeys get you down.
 
Surgeon thinks the swelling in the right leg is nothing more than the body reacting to the enormous amount of correction. Still, as a precaution I'm now on an antibiotic for the next week. Elevation 2-3 times a day are the instructions. He saw no need for a water pill since they "suck you dry" and he thinks elevation will do the trick.

The surgeon thinks my recovery has been remarkable - excellent ROM, feeling returning to the nerve damaged areas, normal walking, normal xrays .... I thanked him for giving me my life back, and then I broke down.

Once I got myself together, we discussed pain medication. He suggested weaning myself from Lyrica, since it's probably not doing anything for me, and just using Tylenol and icing as needed. I asked when the really painful part of recovery was going to happen, and I was told that I probably have a much higher tolerance of pain than some people, largely because I rode and hiked with such a deformity.
 
I was out of the house today. Trip to the surgeon and then walking around CVS while my script was filled. Then chatting with my 10 year old nephew. I'm not sure which activity wore me out and caused me to sleep five hours......
 
You are doing so well!!!! Your surgeon confirms it! This is just so heartwarming to read. Keep up the icing and elevation and that swelling should go down. The lymph system works very slowly, though, and be prepared that it could take a while.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom