Bilateral TKR The Historian - recovery diary

Status
Not open for further replies.
My first backpacking trip, first of three posts on it.....

broken link removed: https://atasteforthewoods.com/?p=1289
 
Knee action photos! :egypdance:
 
Hi Neil, I listened to the entire video. You spoke really well. I didn't understand the audience - I found the jokes funny! And I loved your impression of the bear at your car window.
 
Hi Neil, I listened to the entire video. You spoke really well. I didn't understand the audience - I found the jokes funny! And I loved your impression of the bear at your car window.

Thank you! Among those audience members was a producer from Today, there to meet with the man who introduced me. Justin Willoughby lost 550 pounds, and was on Today two days later. The two of us hit it off well.



The audience was small - Wednesday nights in Bradford must be a busy time, perhaps they were all at the Zippo factory store? - but they seemed to warm up, just as I did.

Anyway, the reason for A Taste For The Woods is pretty much the same reason I keep reviving this long dormant thread - people need to know the outdoors is for them. When I first met with my doctor about having my knees replaced, he assured me I'd be able to climb steps without pain. I had to explain that I climb much bigger things than steps. So should the posters here. It might be hard to imagine doing this when you are three days after surgery, but friends, this IS possible with work and time.

[Bonesmart.org] The Historian - recovery diary
 
Reading about the late James Garner, I came across another reason I will never be thought of as a tough guy. In 2000 the actor had bilateral knee replacement and was back at work little more than a month later. It took me 12 weeks. From the Los Angeles Times:

"Just prior to starting "Chicago Hope," Garner, who has had 19 surgeries on various parts of his body, including knees, back and heart, had both of his knees replaced.

"It was absolutely the most painful operation I have ever had," says Garner. "But after six or eight weeks, the pain starts to go away and you're all right. I went out yesterday for the first time to play golf. I wanted to see what I could do and I played 11 holes and I played pretty good."

Garner signed on with "Chicago Hope" before his surgery and reported to work five weeks after the operation. ...."

Garner's knee problems stemmed from an injury during his service in the Korean War, and was later aggravated by injuries during the run of The Rockford Files (1974-1980). Garner did most of his own stunt work.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom