Bilateral TKR The Historian - recovery diary

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are doing so well!!!! Your surgeon confirms it! This is just so heartwarming to read. Keep up the icing and elevation and that swelling should go down. The lymph system works very slowly, though, and be prepared that it could take a while.

Meanwhile I am urinating like I couldn't believe.

The surgeon suggested a couple of months until the swelling is gone.
 
OK, a couple of foot questions.....

I have flat feet from the years of obesity. Should I at some point start looking for insoles, either commercial or specially made? And what point is that?

Also, I've read here repeatedly about replacing shoes after surgery. At the rehab hospital I asked about my cross-trainers and was advised they showed so little wear replacing them wasn't needed. Is there a guideline for replacing shoes following surgery? How much of a wear pattern before I give them up to Goodwill? Since I'm on a reduced income at the moment I'm trying to avoid additional expenses.....
 
If your current shoes don't have wear patterns on them and you do have limited funds, I'd put the money toward seeing a good foot doctor who can fit you with custom orthotics. They are soooooo much better than any you buy off the shelf and give your feel much-needed support. New shoes can come later.
 
If your current shoes don't have wear patterns on them and you do have limited funds, I'd put the money toward seeing a good foot doctor who can fit you with custom orthotics. They are soooooo much better than any you buy off the shelf and give your feel much-needed support. New shoes can come later.

I have a pair of custom orthotics, but they were from before the surgery. Perhaps a dumb question, but do you think I could still wear them?
 
I am sure, though, that you're not surprised at this. It's the body taking over and using all available energy to heal.

It sounds to me like you're doing incredibly well :thumb:
 
I spent most of the night and morning sleeping. I've never been so tired.....

Never so weary, never so in woe,
Bedabbled with the dew and torn with briers,
I can no further crawl, no further go.
My legs can keep no pace with my desires....
 
I am sure, though, that you're not surprised at this. It's the body taking over and using all available energy to heal.

It sounds to me like you're doing incredibly well :thumb:

PT guy will be here in an hour and he'll be annoyed I've not done any exercises since Tuesday morning. :cry:
 
I found out I'm being discharged from home physical therapy Friday, and by the visiting nurse Monday. The nurse offered to discharge me today, but since insurance pays for one more visit and I still have swollen legs, Monday it is. Physical therapist says there's nothing more he can do with me in the home. My progress is plateauing. Part of Friday will be spent practicing getting in and out of my car.... I might be driving soon.

Driving depends on my being off opiates or pain pills that impair driving, and having motor control of the right foot. Also the surgeon might have something to say. But if he doesn't, it's my call. However, I want to work with outpatient PT first and find out what they think. I've always considered driving to be a priviledge, never a "right" and I want to be a safe operator on the road. I owe that to my fellow cyclists, pedestrians, and motorists.
 
PT guy will be here in an hour and he'll be annoyed I've not done any exercises since Tuesday morning. :cry:

He wasn't. He figured I worked so hard up to now that I deserved a bad day.

Flexion: 120 L, 100 R
Extension: 10 L, 0 R
 
Never so weary, never so in woe,
Bedabbled with the dew and torn with briers,
I can no further crawl, no further go.
My legs can keep no pace with my desires....

What, all the Brits here and no one is amused at the Shakespeare quotation?!?
 
What, all the Brits here and no one is amused at the Shakespeare quotation?!?

I bet Jo would be!!! I'll tag her.... @Josephine:

About the old orthotics.....you could give them a try at least at first. But you need to see your doctor and get refitted. My guess is your alignment has changed so much that they will not be good for you nor will they be very comfortable after wearing for a while. Sorry.....I know they are expensive!

I had to get new orthotics after my TKR and I didn't have anywhere near the corrections done that you had.

Keep working on that swelling.....you are doing so well!!!!
 
I bet Jo would be!!! I'll tag her.... @Josephine:

About the old orthotics.....you could give them a try at least at first. But you need to see your doctor and get refitted. My guess is your alignment has changed so much that they will not be good for you nor will they be very comfortable after wearing for a while. Sorry.....I know they are expensive!

I had to get new orthotics after my TKR and I didn't have anywhere near the corrections done that you had.

Keep working on that swelling.....you are doing so well!!!!

I've read in The New York Times a couple of years ago that often people fitted for "custom" orthotics would have been just fine with store-purchased items like SuperFeet or Dr. Scholl's. I'll try that route first.
 
It's worth a try.....but......I, for one, don't agree with that statement. I don't know what "super feet" are, but the array of Dr. Scholl's products is mind boggling. I'm not sure they would provide adequate support for everyone.

I'm saying this also because I tried a whole bunch of store-purchased orthotics before having my custom ones made. None really worked.

The only thing I'm not familiar with are products that seem to be a mix between custom and over-the-counter products....like the Good Feet Store. They guarantee to resolve any foot issues with their products. But....they may be just as expensive as the custom ones.

You must let us know how this works out, okay?
 
Hermia, I think - MND act 3 sc 2!

But you missed out the best and most appropriate line "Here will I rest me till the break of day."

:th_heehee:
 
Bad day today....

My doctor finally got my INR reading from Tuesday. I'm at 1.5. So for days I've been at risk for another PE and doing risky things - keeping my legs above my heart, for instance. I don't seem to have the symptoms, but they could happen anytime, and its hard to distinquish them from the panic attacks I've been having all day. My doctor left a message to pick up another 1mg of Coumadin, bringing me to 6mg a day. My next blood draw is Monday, which means I spend all weekend not knowing if I'm back to a theraputic level or not. Nor has my doctor responded to my calls asking if he wants me back on Lovenox.
 
If you can afford it, Historian, I would buy one good pair of shoes. It was the first thing my new PT asked, how old were the shoes I wore to therapy. I had bought one new pair and wore those today. I got a pair of Brooks cross trainers which are good for the pronation we develop with bad knees. It will make me sad to not be able to wear my Merrills. I saw someone mentioned superfeet. I did have a pair of those insoles last year when my feet were hurting because of knee misalignment. They helped, but I am hoping with the new correction all I will need is a good supportive pair of shoes, like the Brooks I just got.. If I recall the superfeet were not inexpensive.
 
I think superfeet were ok for getting by before the correction for me, and spencos are ok as well, but once the correction was done, I invested in one good pair of walking shoes (Brooks cross trainers) which offer stability, support for pronation, etc, much better than the inserts.
 
"...he had not been there - bless the mark! - a pissing while....."

The swelling in both legs is less, and the heat is gone from the left. The right is still warm and swollen more than the left. My left foot looks normal, but my right still resembles a balloon.

However, the water has to go somewhere, so in the past two and a half hours I've had to empty my bladder twice. The color is near clear, not dark or cloudy. Does this sound like I'm getting ride of the fluid in my legs, or am I just too hydrated?
 
For me the fluid on the knee was the last thing to leave -- indeed my knees are still not completely without it, and I'm at four months. It restricts flexion a bit, but no other symptoms. I'd not worry about it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom