Bilateral TKR The Historian - recovery diary

Status
Not open for further replies.
We reached an extension of 5 on the left on my own today. No overpressure needed. Now to break through to zero. I'm at zero on the right.

Flexion is 132 on the left, and 121 on the right. I still have more swelling on the right, so I'm not getting the results I want.

Driving is getting easier. I'm more adept at using the cane. When I practice walking without it I have what someone called a "Frankenstein walk", but I feel its getting better day by day.

I'm OK to resume a weight loss plan of eating. Pity I have an all-you-can-eat pancake breakfast for a local charity Saturday, followed by an all you can eat pasta dinner at my church.

I rode for more than 15 minutes on the stationary bike, and was cleared to ride outside "with moderation." I don't know what the word "moderation" means.

I had a bad couple of days earlier when I was told my INR was down to 1.8. I'm now taking more Coumadin and went through a day when I was so tired all I could do is sleep. I hope for a better reading at the next draw on Monday.
 
Wow you have done a great job of shedding a lot of weight. It is amazing the difference with your legs--you are certainly a success story. Kelly

I'm an unfinished manuscript. I'll only be a perfect success story once the Author has me back in His possession, and I can see Eternity in a revised and corrected edition.

But thanks for the compliment. I hope to continue to be a success.
 
I don't know about that, Historian. My feet have always faced out just like yours in the picture. As a matter of fact a lot of folks feet do and not because of bad knees. I wasn't knockkneed or bowlegged. My feet still face out even after having both knees done-- tho' not quite as much.

I guess I could work at having them face forward, but its seems like too much work for something that really doesn't matter. And seems to me that posture is more about standing up straight which you are certainly doing now. Just my opinion, ofcourse. You are looking good and doing well.
 
Just catching up to your fab photos! Smiles.....I think they will do!!!

You have so much to be proud of. And I love those lovely straight legs...:yahoo:. I have to think that you just FEEL better now. And it should get even better with time. What a wonderful thing.
 
I don't know about that, Historian. My feet have always faced out just like yours in the picture. As a matter of fact a lot of folks feet do and not because of bad knees. I wasn't knockkneed or bowlegged. My feet still face out even after having both knees done-- tho' not quite as much.

I guess I could work at having them face forward, but its seems like too much work for something that really doesn't matter. And seems to me that posture is more about standing up straight which you are certainly doing now. Just my opinion, ofcourse. You are looking good and doing well.

My PT is focused on 'ideal posture', so I hear about it. Also, lets face it, I was splayed out for many years, so getting closer to ideal will help me relearn to walk properly. I agree its not a big problem how my feet are in the photo, but closer to the photo of me from church is a better posture.
 
Just catching up to your fab photos! Smiles.....I think they will do!!!

You have so much to be proud of. And I love those lovely straight legs...:yahoo:. I have to think that you just FEEL better now. And it should get even better with time. What a wonderful thing.

The feeling is different, but not really better now. Emphasis on now. For the last months prior to surgery I felt like my life was circling the drain. The difference is that I know whatever discomfort I suffer with now is going to get less and less, and eventually get to near zero. Or at least less than I had before.

What bugs me is I can't hike yet. I'm chomping at the bit to get into the woods.:sigh:
 
I could not wait to hike either. I will give you a little of my experience---I only had one knee at a time though.

When I first started hiking, I was amazed at how slowly I walked--I had trouble keeping up with my friends.

Also, I did trip a lot more than usual. So, be sure to bring some band aids with you when you hike--I hope you do better those first few hikes than I did.

By six months, I was back to my normal form, but it took a while after I began. Kelly
 
Historian, my PT is also huge on me getting better posture. After 44 years of a bad knee, I have done a lot of "leaning" in my time, and the result is weak hip muscles (I am working on). It is a lot of work to stand right but I think starting to feel more natural every day. But I have to think about it every minute. I am looking forward to the day it comes naturally.
 
Historian, my PT is also huge on me getting better posture. After 44 years of a bad knee, I have done a lot of "leaning" in my time, and the result is weak hip muscles (I am working on). It is a lot of work to stand right but I think starting to feel more natural every day. But I have to think about it every minute. I am looking forward to the day it comes naturally.

Oh, my hip muscles are very weak. We are working on that too. As for walking and standing I have what amounts to an entirely new right leg, so I have things to learn and unlearn.
 
Thanks for all your information and input. Glad to see your doing better and I hope you'll be able to finish your bike ride. It is nice to hear from another Pennsylvanian. I live in Philadelphia and I'm scheduled for surgery on June 1,2012 also btkr. I too am younger than most ring 48yrs old. Good luck!!!!:dancy:
 
Thanks for all your information and input. Glad to see your doing better and I hope you'll be able to finish your bike ride. It is nice to hear from another Pennsylvanian. I live in Philadelphia and I'm scheduled for surgery on June 1,2012 also btkr. I too am younger than most ring 48yrs old. Good luck!!!!:dancy:

Good luck to you. Keep us informed on the surgery.
 
BTW I sleep on my side with covers tucked between my knees to limit the 'noise' they make. Anyone else do this? And is it a bad idea?
 
As long as you're comfortable and can get a good night's sleep, any sleep position should be a good idea.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom