Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR The Historian - recovery diary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi did you manage to get out on bikes,i went out today got my jobs done and a rare thing here the sun was out.So wife said go on your bike, we were going for a walk,not been out on bike for long time did a 21 mile round trip i have never seen as many people out on bikes they must all have had same idea.Hope sun out tommorow wife said go for ride first thing but talking of snow again will wait and see.
 
Little problem on Saturday. Two feet into the ride I broke a rail on my Brooks saddle. We are going to attempt the 30 miles again on Monday, and I'll be riding a hatchet until I either get the Brooks repaired or replaced.
 
:) That envy can be cured by the application of a few $$$, Brooks saddles are not exclusive.

Neil, I hope that you can get the saddle repaired rather than consigned to the bin!
 
Hi went out on sunday and rode 30 miles our weather seems to have picked up .Thats it for this week no riding or swimming grand kids coming up for week.Never been one for any particular saddle as long as its comfortable and dont have to mess with.Good luck monday.
 
Rode with Chris and Anthony on Monday. I used the WTB hatchet that came with my currently disabled Long Haul Trucker, and I suffered for it. Add the poor fit, cold weather, headwind, and a slow leak in my rear tire and I called it quits at mile 25. Chris came and picked me up as I bonked in the cold. The big guy not only rode the thirty miles but tried to chase down roadies....not a common trait among 419 pound men on a comfort bike.

My knees were a little stiff in the cold and after a prolonged meal at The Olive Garden, but otherwise OK.
 
:) That envy can be cured by the application of a few $$$, Brooks saddles are not exclusive.

Neil, I hope that you can get the saddle repaired rather than consigned to the bin!

We will see. I need to get a new frame for the saddle, have the rivets drilled out, and the leather transferred to the new frame.
 
The big guy north of Conshohocken.



Bike with torture device replacing my Brooks.



Anthony and the humble Historian at the turn around at Spring Mill. I don't know which is more striking, the straight legs or the pot belly. BTW one casualty of the ride was my tights. A seam on the left knee is opening. I need to find a tailor who can do the overstiching needed to sew Lycra.
 
Chris eating a dish of whipped cream at the celebration dinner. Dude is 418 pounds, I'm not going to tell him no.
 
I felt fine the next day after the ride, which gives me great hope I can resume bike touring. At work I had a little swelling, but then again it was raining. Also, for the first time in a while I've not had swelling in my right foot when at work. The right leg was the one with the most correction, and I have some nerve damage and a partially dropped foot from the surgery.

Speaking of my feet, I can wear Crocs again! Last time I tried my Crocs on I had a LOT of pain in the right foot, probably because the dropped foot condition meant I lacked "bend." Well, now I can wear them again. I mainly wear them on bike tours and when camping.
 
Oh, and I'm down another pound. 321 as of yesterday. I'm below my surgery weight 11 and a half months ago.
 
Spent the day walking around an endurance sports expo, trying samples, looking at bikes, attending a lecture or two, and having a good time with my friend Chris. Highlights include a new challenge Chris and I are looking at....







today's giggle..... 400 pound guy on a folder....




Only difficulty is my flat feet hurting.... time to go back to arch supports. Somehow I thought I could avoid it because my feet were no longer splayed out and at a bad angle.

BTW, I met someone with both knees replaced two years ago. He rides 4500 miles a year now with no great problem. This leads me to believe I can get back to my former 3k miles a year.
 
BTW, I met someone with both knees replaced two years ago. He rides 4500 miles a year now with no great problem. This leads me to believe I can get back to my former 3k miles a year.
Why not? you are moving forward and getting fit---I have no doubt that you will be able to reach that goal!
 
Neil, that is great that you and Chris are setting new goals! Sounds like the expo was a great fun. Have you ever considered custom orthotics to help your feet? They are more expensive but mine really help me.
 
BTW, I met someone with both knees replaced two years ago. He rides 4500 miles a year now with no great problem. This leads me to believe I can get back to my former 3k miles a year.


I believe that, in about 99% of the situations, we determine our own outcomes. You are losing weight and becoming more active---and the two new knees are a facet there, obviously, too!

If you want to ride 3k a year, I say that you can---why not? You set the goal and you can do it! There should be nothing holding you back.
 
Neil, I back Tim (and thus you) 100%. You have faced your issues square-on, haven't backed down, haven't given in, haven't denied anything, and have placed them in front of an audience here. Chapeau. This displays a willpower that WILL get the job done.
 
Neil, that is great that you and Chris are setting new goals! Sounds like the expo was a great fun. Have you ever considered custom orthotics to help your feet? They are more expensive but mine really help me.

I had them made in 2011 but they were designed to help correct the knock-kneed condition. I may have to go back and have a new pair made.
 
I believe that, in about 99% of the situations, we determine our own outcomes. You are losing weight and becoming more active---and the two new knees are a facet there, obviously, too!

If you want to ride 3k a year, I say that you can---why not? You set the goal and you can do it! There should be nothing holding you back.

I don't disagree. But its work, and I have a lot of it to do.
 
When I told my podiatrist I was getting my knee replaced he said he wanted to see me after 6 months after the TKR as the correction will have changed. And I am planning on doing that as I can tell that the correction in the orthotic seems like a little too much now, if that makes any sense. So it might be time for a visit to yours.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom