Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR The Historian - recovery diary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chris was giving me coaching during the games. One reason we hang out is that he views our success as mutual, a case of symbiosis. I have to admit I didn't approach our friendship that way at first; I assumed I was the expert going to 'teach' weight loss. I soon discovered its more fun to be an equal and not a superior.
 
Neil, How often do you guys work out together? Your Saturdays sound really long in terms of exercise, a hike or bike and then 2 hours at the gym. What do you do the other days? I am assuming you both work but that might not be true.
 
Neil, How often do you guys work out together? Your Saturdays sound really long in terms of exercise, a hike or bike and then 2 hours at the gym. What do you do the other days? I am assuming you both work but that might not be true.

We both have jobs and lives to attend to. But like most friends we enjoy each other's company. The long day was both because we were having fun and because we need to build up stamina. After all, we are both riding a hundred miles in a day in September.
 
Big plans this week. I am joining a walking/hiking group at a local county park tomorrow. So I have to be up at 8 AM.... its worth it.

Then Saturday, weather permitting, Chris and I have a long ride. Both of us want to get above 20 miles. This week is 11 months since my surgery..... time to push the envelope.
 
Whats the weather like there for hiking or the bike ride.Here it is snow or rain, today very strong winds would not like riding bike and roofers are starting today to put new roof on house good luck to them.I am going swimming then indoor bike i must be getting nesh,would not bother me about weather before.
 
Silly me overslept and didn't make it to the walking group this morning. Oh well, there's always next week.

Planning a big event to mark my one year since surgery.... I'm going to ride my age - 47 miles on Saturday, March 9.
 
The upcoming snowstorm is cancelling this weekend's riding. I might be hiking with Chris in the snow at Valley Forge on Sunday. Rather down about the change in plans.
 
Sorry your plans had to change due to the weather. But hiking in the snow will be quite a workout! And it should be beautiful out.
 
Hike of 7.4 miles on the walking/bike trail at Valley Forge. This is my longest ever. The problems stemmed not from my knees, but my feet. My feet swelled, causing my hiking boots to feel tight. I got a mammoth blister on the right foot.
 
You did well blister and all ,was there no snow to cool feet off in.
 
Me with my hero... and General Steuben. Chris pushed me to complete my longest hike ever, and the first time I've done something better post-surgery than pre-surgery. As I'm said before, I met this guy with the idea that I'd be helping him fix himself, and instead he seems to be fixing me.
 
Apologies to the Brits who post here, but Valley Forge is a historical park because of its ties to the American Revolution. Washington and the Continental Army encamped here in the winter of 1777-1778 because the "redcoats" had occupied Philadelphia. The Army suffered in the cold and from lack of supplies, and was hindered because the officer corp had no one to properly train the soldiers. The Continental Congress' representative in France, Dr. Benjamin Franklin, arranged for a Prussian, Baron von Steuben, to join the troops in Pennsylvania and train them. von Steuben was familiar with Prussian military training methods and brought some order and discipline to the ranks. When spring came the mass of men who had arrived in December departed as an army.
 
Past is past i am afraid i dont look behind .My wife gave me a lecture when we went to china in 98 DO NOT CALL THE WALL A PILE OF OLD STONES,or TEMPLES just some thing some body built for a living,thats my take on things from past.Give me 22 second century and loud music any time
 
We both have jobs and lives to attend to. But like most friends we enjoy each other's company. The long day was both because we were having fun and because we need to build up stamina. After all, we are both riding a hundred miles in a day in September.
Neil, I asked about this because I am always interested in hearing how people who work train for long distance events. If you have a lot of discretionary time I suspect it is easier to train and plan. So I was just curious about how you trained for a 100 mile bike ride, outside of the "snapshots" of your long Saturdays with Chris.

Great that you got such a long hike in! Must of been quite challenging with all of the snow.
 
... So I was just curious about how you trained for a 100 mile bike ride...
The Campionissimo Fausto Coppi on being asked to give the three top training tips famously replied "Ride your bike, ride your bike, ride your bike."
 
Neil, I asked about this because I am always interested in hearing how people who work train for long distance events. If you have a lot of discretionary time I suspect it is easier to train and plan. So I was just curious about how you trained for a 100 mile bike ride, outside of the "snapshots" of your long Saturdays with Chris.

Great that you got such a long hike in! Must of been quite challenging with all of the snow.

The Philadelphia area got next to nothing.

There are any number of training guides for riding a century. Basically you build up mileage gradually. In the case of Chris and myself this means riding short routes during the week and saving the big rides for the weekends.
 
Speaking of which, again depending on weather Chris and I will be riding Saturday - we plan a ride of 25 miles. He doesn't read Bonesmart, so he won't know I intend to push him to ride 30 or more.

There's also the walking club I'm going to try to get to Wednesday. And I should be at the gym this week too.

Meanwhile, I've been busy filling my dance card for 2013. God willing, of course, for without Him I am nothing, I will be riding the Great Allegheny Passage and C & O Canal Towpath last week in July. I'll be riding and hiking in Ohio the week before. And I have a lot of weekend trips lined up - including in my favorite stomping grounds of north central PA, the part of the tourism people call the "PA Wilds."

Meanwhile I'm still a little sore from my hike Sunday. I'm footsore, and my hip flexors feel tight. My back is sore too. The knees aren't bad, but I heavily swollen Sunday night.

More photos from the hike.....
 
Go for it, my bike is getting rusty not been out for a while i keep using indoor got to get out of this habit.Hope you both manage 30 but dont forget ,if at first you dont succeed try try again.
 
Go for it, my bike is getting rusty not been out for a while i keep using indoor got to get out of this habit.Hope you both manage 30 but dont forget ,if at first you dont succeed try try again.

I feel confident I can ride 30 miles. And I feel reasonably confident the big guy can as well. Weather again is the determining factor. We are getting a light snowfall as I type. I expect all the snow to be melted by Saturday, but who knows?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom