Bilateral TKR The Historian - recovery diary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Chris taking on this under the advisement of his doctor? I would want to know his doctor has cleared him to attempt this sort of riding and exercise, to be safe.

He says he was given a clean bill of health at his last physical. The heart rate problem isn't than unusual with someone pushing themselves too hard.
 
Rode seven miles with Chris around French Creek yesterday. Strong headwind caused me to conk out a half mile from my house. Chris was fine despite his greater weight and surface area.
 
After the ride I went with Chris to the local Planet Fatness, err, Fitness, and showed him my basic exercises. We then worked on mat stuff. This meant I had to get onto the ground. First of all, kneeling feels very, very weird. Not painful, but weird. My right knee, leg, and foot still have nerve damage, and they felt very uncomfortable going down and getting up. When I got up, I did it from a kneeling position much as I have before. I 'cheated' by grabbing the side of a fence - Planet Fitness has the mat area fenced off. Only problem was the strain on my back. Obviously I have to work on this.
 
Neil, Congrats on your weight loss! It sounds like you and Chris are making good progress both on your bikes and at the health club. Kneeling feels wierd to me too, and I only do it if I have to. I know if I do hills, whether on my bike or walking, my HR gets very high, so I am careful. You might suggest he wear a HR monitor, so he makes sure he does not get too high yet for his current level of fitness.
 
Neal how was the new knee pain on the difficult uphill ride? Is the burning worse during certain activities?
Since my TKR I get all sorts of weird "pains" or sensations in my knee. Someone described one of them like the feeling that you have a piece of wood in your knee.
Anyway, good for you on your successes!!! And of course love your photos!
 
Marianne, I know what you mean about the wierd sensations. I get them all the time, but none of them are really painful, or sometimes more like a quick sharp pain that is gone as fast as it came. That happens during movement and I think that is scar tissue breaking up, but I am just guessing.
 
Neal how was the new knee pain on the difficult uphill ride? Is the burning worse during certain activities?
Since my TKR I get all sorts of weird "pains" or sensations in my knee. Someone described one of them like the feeling that you have a piece of wood in your knee.
Anyway, good for you on your successes!!! And of course love your photos!

I think the knee pain I mentioned in the past week is from wearing shoes with little arch support. I noticed as soon as I put in shoes with arch support the discomfort went away.
 
Hi perhaps your fiend needs to start of on exercise bike,i use mine a lot when can,t get out i have a laptop and i have some favourite cycling videos of youtube and away you go.This way he can work up to outside and climbs,just got more snow again my bike is crying in garage.
 
Photos..

View from the top of the hill in Tyler State Park.


Chris working hard.



French Creek ride....

Bridge over the creek. A covered bridge was here, burnt down in the 1920s, and replaced with this metal structure. They left the old stone wingwalls in place.



Grumpy old knee replacement guy.



Most determined man I know at French Creek.



Sheeder-Hall bridge.



"I like this! Can we do it again?!"
 
Good photos and no snow getting fed up with snow now,why did they build bridges that are covered in ,really old bridges in uk are open,are americans afraid of falling in water .When a lot younger used to love jumping of bridges into river where i lived and that was in Scrooby where pilgrim fathers supposed to have come from.Hope you and chris get more rides in.
 
Bridges were built of wood because wood was plentiful and streams were everywhere. The bridges were covered because wood doesn't weather the elements well. Its easier to replace a roof or siding than a bridge floor. Sheeder-Hall is 163 years old.
 
Weather is forecast to be wretched the next two weeks, so no outdoor riding. If Chris is up for a hike, I'll hike with him. Otherwise I'll hike alone and bang plates at the gym.
 
Why I'm replacing my shoes.... look at the wear pattern! I wore these for six months prior to surgery.
 
Four mile hike on Sunday at Silver Lake County Park near Bristol, PA, with my friends Isaac and Chris.



Afterward Chris and I had dinner at Olive Garden and then spent two hours at the gym. I still don't know what I should do for lower body work, so I did upper and cardio. I was stiff but no pain the next day.
 
[Bonesmart.org] The Historian - recovery diary
Wow! lots and lots of snow! And aaaaah! Olive Garden----don't know if I'd been able to do anything at the gym after filling up there. Good for you guys! Keep up the good work and keep losing those pounds.
 
Olive Garden's endless soup and salad deal is great. Chris and I have two bowls of the salad and two bowls of soup, one breadstick, and an Andes mint and escape for less than 1K calories.

I'm down 16 pounds. Chris is down 30.
 
Wow, you guys are doing great! Congratulations...shows you can have the fun of eating out without crashing the whole diet if you use your head.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom