Bilateral TKR The Historian - recovery diary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would never doubt that you wouldn't be fully prepared for a good trip and a great hike
[Bonesmart.org] The Historian - recovery diary
. Just bring us back some of your fabulous pictures.
[Bonesmart.org] The Historian - recovery diary
 
Just noticed today that I seem to be getting out of my office chair easier and easier. Yes, I need to use my arms to push up, but much less than I used to.
 
Hey Neil, it is great to read of your progress and all that you are doing. It is very encouraging. Keep up the good work, and have fun on your hiking and biking.
 
Bike ride rescheduled for tomorrow morning. I spent this morning at work on a project and the afternoon sleeping. Hard to get anything done under those circumstances.
 
Bike ride rescheduled for tomorrow morning. I spent this morning at work on a project and the afternoon sleeping. Hard to get anything done under those circumstances.

Bike ride again rescheduled. Too lazy this morning. Too busy this afternoon. :gaah:
 
Me thinks you protest too much! Sure you aren't deliberately putting this off for some reason?
[Bonesmart.org] The Historian - recovery diary
 
Love your shots, what kind of camera do you use? Nice to think about hiking again, thanks for the hope. I just posted today on my disappointing day at Minnehaha falls. Only a cell phone shot though and the water is just burned out white. ha ha.
 
Love your shots, what kind of camera do you use? Nice to think about hiking again, thanks for the hope. I just posted today on my disappointing day at Minnehaha falls. Only a cell phone shot though and the water is just burned out white. ha ha.

Kodak EasyShare 1285. For most of the waterfall shots I used a tripod and a slower exposure. Also, I chose shots carefully so I could avoid getting lots of the bright sun and reflective green backgrounds in the image. Shooting in the woods at midday can be a problem; all the bright green makes things look overlit. For instance:




Mill race at Caledonia State Park. Shot midday. Not a particularly good photo, although editing software might improve it by taking out some of the brightness.

I'm sorry your photo didn't turn out, but water is a very difficult subject. Try again, perhaps on an overcast day.
 
Surprised at just how much the quads are engaging now that they are waking up. I'm getting up and down much more easily than before. I still need my arms, but less and less so.

As mentioned above, I've pushed off my ride at a local trail. I'll try to get it in later this week, some morning before work. This in itself would be another victory, since I've not been doing anything 'active' before putting in an 8 hour day. Crossing my fingers I'll not be so exhausted I can't handle my job....

Saturday I'm hiking at Hawk Mountain:

https://www.hawkmountain.org/

I was there in 2010, but wasn't comfortable enough to go much beyond the first few overlooks. This time I want to do the 1.5 mile round trip to the North Overlook. Here is the view from the Appalachian Overlook, in 2010:



White sections on the middle left of the photo are the River of Rocks, a glacial moraine field. Hawk Mountain, as well as the nearby overlook "The Pinnacle", have been called the best mountain vistas in Pennsylvania. And unlike The Pinnacle, which is 8 miles round trip, Hawk Mountain is a relatively easy hike.

BTW, Hawk Mountain was the first, and now is one of the few, conservation programs for raptors in the world. It's on an important flyway and I hope to see some hawks and eagles while out there.
 
BTW, I realize some people might think the 'travel attraction' posts are off-topic. I don't. I don't see why I had knee replacement if I wasn't going to use them. As I told my doctor, getting my knees replaced isn't about being able to climb the stairs in my house. It's a little more important than that. As my knees got worse, my world shrank. It's about to get bigger. Much bigger.
 
No, I think we all agree that the travel attraction posts are an essential part of your recovery. Plus we all enjoy the history and geography lessons and the great pics. We need an occasional break from knee issues. I always finds these posts very interesting and informative, too. So get hiking and biking, man, so we can have some more!
 
Historian,
Please don't stop your "travel attraction" photos, first it let's us know how you are coming alng with your recovery (and we all care), and second it gives some of us the ability to enjoy parts of the country we otherwise would nt be able to see. I for one really enjoy your pics and lessons.
 
Since I mentioned The Pinnacle, here's a photo - not mine, from a webpage. The attraction of The Pinnacle is that it features as close to a 360 degree view as you are likely to find in PA. Anyway I'm not up to the six mile, or more, hike, so I'll take on The Pinnacle next year:

[Bonesmart.org] The Historian - recovery diary
 
I definately do no think its off topic, it shows us your progress and what we may look forward to. And as others have said, its a good education, keep up the good work.:thumb:
 
Well, I feel doubly unleashed. Not only because I am hiking and riding, but because I can drive far enough to get to these places.

BTW we had rain here today so my bike ride is delayed once again.....
 
BTW I think I should adopt this as my motto whenever an obstacle to my recovery comes up.....
 
Sure glad the rain is with you. All I ever seem to do when not on the forum is mow grass--and I may never get to do anything else if we don't have another dry spell for a couple of weeks.

Yeah! for the honey badger---love it---and I sure wouldn't mess with you!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom