Bilateral TKR The Historian - recovery diary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sore and tired today, and I still had to drive back home. Trip took 8 hours including stops. Closest I came to hiking was during my visit to the 9/11 Memorial at Shanksville.
 
I'm going to celebrate 5 months since surgery by attempting a 12 mile ride on Saturday, Bartram Trail in Hamburg, PA.

Meanwhile, I still have vacation time, and I'm scheduled for two weeks in September. What I do depends largely on if I'm able to camp. If I can master getting up and down to the ground, I'll undertake another trip across PA, this time into the center of the state.
 
12 miles riding today.

Oh, and graphic evidence of how much taller I've become:

One year ago, after a five mile ride:



Today, after a dozen miles:






I was 5'11" at the pre-surgical screening. I'm now only a little shorter than the 6'3" kid I'm standing next to.
 
I don't know if anyone is reading this thread anymore, but I had another victory yesterday - I got out of a recliner without help.

Also, I'm going ahead and planning my two weeks off next month assuming I'll be able to camp. Nothing comes of waiting for things to happen - you have to make them happen.
 
Good for you Historian, it looks like you're having great fun!:thumb: Enjoying your new life agrees with you!:friends:
 
[Bonesmart.org] The Historian - recovery diary
I read your thread, Neil--and other things you post.
[Bonesmart.org] The Historian - recovery diary
for another milestone--it feels good to know your legs will do all the work for a change!


I think it's great that you are going on and planning on a camping trip.
[Bonesmart.org] The Historian - recovery diary
Nothing ventured, nothing gained. You'll probably have a ball and take more great pics!
 
Focusing on one location in particular for next month....

broken link removed: https://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/findapark/rickettsglen/index.htm

Spending a couple of days photographing 22 waterfalls seems like a good time, especially in September after the Labor Day holiday crowds part. I'm concerned that the physical requirements might be beyond me:

Falls Trail: 7.2 miles, most difficult hiking
The full loop of this trail is 7.2 miles if hiking both the upper and lower sections. To see most of the waterfalls, a 3.2-mile loop can be taken by going on Highland Trail and the Glen Leigh and Ganoga Glen sides of the trail. The trails follow along 21 beautiful waterfalls ranging in heights from 11 feet to 94 feet. The scenery is well worth the effort, however, the terrain is rocky, can be slippery, and descends steeply on both the Ganoga and Glen Leigh sides. Hikers should take extra precautions with trail conditions, wear proper footwear, stay on the trail, and be in good physical condition.

I love to photograph waterfalls, although I rarely do them justice, so visiting Rickett's Glen is something I've longed to do. Should I go or is it too much too soon?

From my recent trip.... the millrace cascade at Caledonia State Park:



And the falls at Ohiopyle in Ohiopyle State Park:



And some perspective:
 
Hi neil i do enjoy so much seeing yours pictures and following your progress, we are about the same age, and i too would liek to do the things i used to do. And your pics and progress notes really inspire me to continue to find a surgeon who will help me.
i do not post often, may do so after I have found a definite surgeon who will work on my knees, and I do think that day is coming soon, as my husband will be getting a new better job, and better insurance.
I kinda get scared when i read the post op side, as not everyone has an ideal recovery, but all in all, most do eventually seem to recover, albeit a little longer than others. However there are a lot of positive ideal recoveries as well to uplift me, such as yours, janets, jacky's to name a few.
Anyway thanks again for all your posts and pics, much enjoyed....Sheryl
 
From August 2010, Freedom Falls at Kennerdale, PA. Since it was a dry summer the falls wasn't flowing at more than a trickle. Also the light in the afternoon was awful - between water reflection and the trees everything was overlit. So I waded into the falls' plunge pool to get these shots:
 
Hi neil i do enjoy so much seeing yours pictures and following your progress, we are about the same age, and i too would liek to do the things i used to do. And your pics and progress notes really inspire me to continue to find a surgeon who will help me.
i do not post often, may do so after I have found a definite surgeon who will work on my knees, and I do think that day is coming soon, as my husband will be getting a new better job, and better insurance.
I kinda get scared when i read the post op side, as not everyone has an ideal recovery, but all in all, most do eventually seem to recover, albeit a little longer than others. However there are a lot of positive ideal recoveries as well to uplift me, such as yours, janets, jacky's to name a few.
Anyway thanks again for all your posts and pics, much enjoyed....Sheryl

Thanks.

The problem with a 'medical forum' is that most of the people who post are the ones who have things go wrong. Things seem to be going right for me, aside from the PE I had, so I want to talk about it.
 
Spoke with my doctor about Coumadin. While he claims the side effects of lethargy and nausea aren't normal with the drug, he says that I'm near the end of the usual course of treatment, and if I pass an ultrasound of my right leg at the end of the month I can stop taking it. I'm looking forward to that, while praying I don't have clots in the right leg.
 
The problem with a 'medical forum' is that most of the people who post are the ones who have things go wrong. Things seem to be going right for me, aside from the PE I had, so I want to talk about it.
One reason I don't put much on my recovery thread either, I don't want to be seen as (even more of) a smartarse. But I read your stuff with interest -- maybe I should post more too?
 
Neil, your pictures are awesome! That sounds like that would be a wonderful adventure in Sept., my favorite time of the year. It does look like it could be dangerous. However if you do decide to do the trail/trails is there a way you could bring along a folding cane that would fit in your back pack or something? This way you'd have something to steady yourself if you need to. It is so beautiful and waterfalls have the most calming effect, plus it's something you've longed to do. Good luck with your decision making!:friends:
 
One reason I don't put much on my recovery thread either, I don't want to be seen as (even more of) a smartarse. But I read your stuff with interest -- maybe I should post more too?

Well, most of us will never race bicycles, and we might find it interesting to read accounts from someone who does. I realize you are busy training with Wiggins, so post when you can.
 
Well, most of us will never race bicycles, and we might find it interesting to read accounts from someone who does. I realize you are busy training with Wiggins, so post when you can.
:) It is very far from racing I am today. But the kind of training Brad is now I imagine doing, with all that racing behind him, I might well be able to keep up with. He hasn't had a beer for 12 months odd I believe. But yes I will put a little more on the recovery thread when I can.
 
Neil, your pictures are awesome! That sounds like that would be a wonderful adventure in Sept., my favorite time of the year. It does look like it could be dangerous. However if you do decide to do the trail/trails is there a way you could bring along a folding cane that would fit in your back pack or something? This way you'd have something to steady yourself if you need to. It is so beautiful and waterfalls have the most calming effect, plus it's something you've longed to do. Good luck with your decision making!:friends:

I'd use hiking poles.
 
Nice picture with the hiking poles! I think that should help. Just be careful near the wet rocks! That's the mommy in me talk'n!:heehee:
 
https://www.pahikes.com/trails/rick...g-the-falls-trail-at-ricketts-glen-state-park

I feel better after reading this:

"The trail has a reputation for being a rough and dangerous trail. I feel that it has received this reputation because people have attempted to hike in unprepared. It is not a trail that you can leisurely walk on with flip-flops or sandals. The trail follows the banks of two streams on which these majestic water falls are found. Trails near waterfalls usually mean two things: steep and wet. You'll find the hiking the trail rather easy if you come prepared. Hiking boots are strongly recommended. Attempts have been made to make hiking the trail easier by building stone steps and walkways, but there are areas that can be slippery. Take your time, watch your step, and you'll be fine."

Also, I feel PA State Parks overrate the difficulty of some trails to deter people from showing up unprepared. I think I'll be OK.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom