Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR The Historian - recovery diary

Status
Not open for further replies.
BTW, some comments on Port Clinton from Whiteblaze.net, the forum for AT hikers:

I've always found the folks at the Port Clinton Hotel to be first class; true, they ask you to clean up a bit if you're going to eat in the dining room (it's a small room, and the locals who go there don't want to sit a foot away from some rank hiker), but there is no dress or cleanliness code in the barroom, where hikers are always welcome, even fresh off the Trail, the staff and other customers are always friendly, and the food is excellent, reasonably priced, and the portions are enormous.

It's true that facilities are extremely limited in Port Clinton, but what's there is just fine: A great place to eat, drink, or lodge (the Hotel); a great breakfast place (the diner); limited outfitting supplies; FREE lodging at the pavillion; effieciently run Post Office; lots of friendly locals who'll pick you up hitching or shuttle you to a real town like Hamburg, and so on.

I'm sorry not everyone enjoyed this town, but I've stayed overnight there more than 7 times and have never had a bad experience there, and the Hotel is absolutely one of the most hiker-friendly restaurant/bars on the entire Trail.
 
My sister and I have always dreamed of doing the AT. do you know if anyone has done it post-TKR? I guess since a thru hike is not likely to be in our futures any time soon, we should be able to do it in stages, just like any other hike, right?
 
My sister and I have always dreamed of doing the AT. do you know if anyone has done it post-TKR? I guess since a thru hike is not likely to be in our futures any time soon, we should be able to do it in stages, just like any other hike, right?

I was told by posters at WhiteBlaze.net that there were folks who hiked the AT after a TKR. I don't have links to a journal or article, however.

Most people do the trail in sections, I understand. Not everyone can take six months off from their life to hike it through.
 
Wow Neill, wondeful pictures. i love it. i am with Cherylk, i cant wait til i can go hiking again. I am from California orginally, while i cannot remember the name of the trail, it was like some 50 miles or more of it. I of course could not hike 50 miles. LOL!! But we would start in Moorpark CA where it started at a park called Oak park, and i would go with a close friend, it was beautiful. I also use to hike on some of the beaches in southern calif, as they had lots of cliffs, and rocks. I miss that. I now live in GA and about 18 years ago we went hiking in north ga, several years ago we went in tennesee, thats where i really started to feel I couldnt do it anymore. Cant wait!!
Keep up the the good work, and keep posting us those pictures and stories we love it!!
 
Neil, Thanks for sharing your fun! I remember driving down the AT and it's absolutely beautiful! So beautiful that I really had to remind myself to keep my eye on the roads as I was driving. I can only imagine hiking the trail and you bring it to me with your experience and pictures, thank you for that!:friends:
 
Sounds like you had a great hiking adventure Neil!!! So very happy for you.
 
I am disappointed I didn't reach North Lookout, but aside from that I'm OK. However, the Falls Trail at Rickett's Glen might be beyond my abilities, based on how I did at Hawk Mountain.
 
There's always next year. Something to look forward to in the future. You weren't suppose to be able to do it all this year.
 
Just getting where you are now is a victory. A victory over how you felt 6 months ago. Just, wait a bit longer than I did for that "Victory Leap of Faith"!
 
Next step down is a big one.... that's a thousand foot drop. I stepped outside the fence at Barbour Rock in Colton Point State Park to get this shot. I'll skip it in 2012, since I need both nerves of steel and legs I'm 1000 per cent comfortable with.
 
Turkey vulture flying high over Pine Creek Gorge. Photo is from near Barbour Rock on the West Rim Trail.
 
Yes, Neil, I agree with your choice to skip stepping out there this year. That certainly is beautiful though.

Normally the ledge is quite safe, according to Scott Brown (not the Senator), author of Pennsylvania's Mountain Vistas. When I went past the fence I scared an elderly couple enjoying the view. Here's the ledge:
 
Breaking camp at Colton Point State Park, August 2010.



Getting out of the tent is going to be a challenge each day. The bedding you see on the table in the background helped me get out of the tent - I used it as padding under my knees and sort of backed out and up. I'll have to see if that will work this time.
 
I hope to duplicate a 2010 feat in 2012..... this is Mount Tom.



I hiked up it. Five miles round trip on a logging road. Hey, dude, where's my car? Its down at the bottom of the mountain. Where my hair is, that's another story....



Victory shot at the summit:



Anyway, I hope to reach the same level of awesome this upcoming trip. And that's why I've had knee replacement.... so I can do these things again. "Great things are done when men and mountains meet....."
 
OMG Neil, you scared an elderly couple by standing on that ledge?! I can see why, I got dizzy just looking at the picture, so I guess I won't be even that close to the fence, on the safe side! :yikes: I guess I'm just a girlie, girl woos (sp)!

Great shots! I can't believe you're at almost 6 months and doing all this fun stuff already! Good for you!:yes!:
 
That looks like slippery footing with all of those little stones and dirt... That would be scary. My friend lost her son when he slipped off a hiking trail, and died. He was a young (21yo) sure footed Marine. I would think twice about going out of bounds there.

I hope that you master the mountain! Have fun. If it were me, I would need to have some serious padded out bedding to sleep in a tent. (I did it in my 20's no problem) I would be able to get up and out, but I am not sure I would be able to sleep as sleep is one of my problems anyway.

Hay have fun, take lots of great pics and I wish you ease, or at least success in climbing out of your tent. :dancy:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom