Bilateral TKR The Historian - recovery diary

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if this is a mere slowdown or a setback, but I have stiffness and swelling in the right knee. I went from increasing mobility to struggling to get up from chairs again. I'm not sure what the trigger was - the wet weather? Bending the knee too far to the side? Anyway I'm debating cancelling my hike tomorrow - or I might just decide to work through it. Anyway the pain resembles that of sore muscles as opposed to a structural problem.
 
That sounds so frustrating. Sore muscles can a good thing if it is a gentle soreness, not an overdone it soreness. I suppose that you iced and elevated to get the swelling down. I hope that your hike goes well if you decide to push through. Hang in there!
 
That sounds so frustrating. Sore muscles can a good thing if it is a gentle soreness, not an overdone it soreness. I suppose that you iced and elevated to get the swelling down. I hope that your hike goes well if you decide to push through. Hang in there!

Swelling is down and the knee feels much better. Hike is on for tomorrow.
 
[Bonesmart.org] The Historian - recovery diary
Be looking for your post and maybe pics!
 
I am 1.5 years out from my TKA and I still experience stiffness before and during a weather event. Although it's a little inconvenient, it sure beats the chronic pain that I used to know and endure. Perhaps you should give your knees permission to be cranky every now and then. :)
 
I am home and so stiff and sore I am crying like a little girl. Report to follow once I find my blue blankie and calm down.
 
Hey buddy, have you ever seen a little boy crying? You boys need your blankie, we need our dollie! In any case we both have the right to cry! I hope you feel better soon! :friends:
 
Today's hike went from the visitor's center at Hawk Mountain, through the Native Plant Garden, to the South Lookout and on to past the entrance to the Escarpment Trail. I was stopped from reaching North Lookout by the increasingly rocky trail condition; while I could have navigated the rocks by exercising a lot of time and care, my mother, who was with me, was both tiring and getting concerned for my safety. We turned around about a quarter mile or so from the North Lookout. This is the longest and toughest hike I've done since surgery, and while I didn't reach my goal, I'm reasonably satisfied.
 
Me at South Lookout:



The stretch of trail that forced us back. The rocks run 150 yards, then the trail begins climbing and ends in stone steps to the North Lookout. In retrospect, turning back was the right call, but had I been solo instead of with my mother I'd have spent the time and effort to navigate the rocks. As it was my knees were sore as I attempted to navigate the rocks, and I'd have pushed on, but I couldn't do that and drag my tiring mother the additional quarter mile. As it was she was getting concerned for my well-being .....



Telephoto shot of the River of Rocks, running from the top of the mountain to the valley below near the Little Schuylkill River.



Children on the lower part of the South Overlook. The South Overlook is 200 yards from the Visitor's Center, and the most accessible overlook. The town of Kempton is in the distance.
 
Water lily in the bog in the Native Plant Garden:



From the River of Rocks Overlook:



From Appalachian Overlook:



Clouds lower over the neighboring mountain.....



Lunch at the Port Clinton Hotel. The town of Port Clinton is on the Appalachian Trail, and the hotel is known from Georgia to Maine for good food and enormous portions. This is the "Hawk Mountain" sandwich (breaded chicken, mild wing sauce, provolone, and blue cheese) and small fries. It served as both lunch and dinner for me.
 
Wow! Looks gorgeous. Sounds like it was the right thing to do to turn back. I can't wait until I can hike again. Our Ozarks are almost as impressive as your Applachians.
 
[Bonesmart.org] The Historian - recovery diary
Fantastic photography as usual---just a really beautiful area---wonderful views---your mom's a real trooper as are you. Big portions is almost an understatement for that food---glad you made two meals of it. Hope the stiff and sore is gone after tomorrow.
 
[Bonesmart.org] The Historian - recovery diary
Fantastic photography as usual---just a really beautiful area---wonderful views---your mom's a real trooper as are you. Big portions is almost an understatement for that food---glad you made two meals of it. Hope the stiff and sore is gone after tomorrow.

She needed to go, since her grandchildren have talked endlessly about "raptors" since they were there earlier this year.

I could have consumed more at lunch, but I was concerned about drowsiness during the long drive back.

The North Lookout is worth the trip, since it features a 200 degree view, and on a good day you can see up to 70 miles in the distance. (Not my photo:)


[Bonesmart.org] The Historian - recovery diary
 
Really enjoying seeing your progress in recovery. The photos really make it all real!

Looking at your lunch (and dinner) and seeing the "small" order of fries, me wonders what a "supersize" order would look like -- YIKES!!!!

Your photos and descriptions are so enjoyable. I hope you continue to post them!!!
 
Really enjoying seeing your progress in recovery. The photos really make it all real!

Looking at your lunch (and dinner) and seeing the "small" order of fries, me wonders what a "supersize" order would look like -- YIKES!!!!

Your photos and descriptions are so enjoyable. I hope you continue to post them!!!

The Port Clinton Hotel prides itself on enormous servings of fries. Since it caters to AT hikers, men and women who become human vacuum cleaners between Georgia and Maine, it has some special traditions and rules:



I saw one possible AT hiker there - the guy was thin with a big beard, but he seemed too well-groomed for someone who sleeps in the woods. PA is usually the state that causes hikers to quit - they are worn out, hungry, with torn clothes and wretched boots, and they realize they are only at the halfway point. The suspected AT hiker seemed too happy, which leads me to believe he wasn't on the trail.

Next door is the Port Clinton Peanut Shop, which is an old fashioned candy store:



We just stopped in because I wanted to see the store - I was too full to buy anything.
 
What does the "AT" stand for? That is certainly an interesting sign!!! It's the first restaurant I've seen that offered showers!!!
 
Sounds like ice will be your new best friend for a little while! Hope the pain & stiffness eases with ice & elevation! :)
 
Wow! Looks gorgeous. Sounds like it was the right thing to do to turn back. I can't wait until I can hike again. Our Ozarks are almost as impressive as your Applachians.

I can't speak about the Ozarks, which are probably more impressive than you think. But in PA we have had people in both the private and public sphere working to keep the Commonwealth "Penn's Woodlands" for a long time. Fifty-nine percent of the state is forested land, totaling 17 million acres. We have 120 state parks, 20 state forests, and more state game lands, county parks, and private forested land than I can hope to count. The practice goes back to William Penn, who laid out his "green country town" Philadelphia on a grid system that he hoped would keep development in check. You can't win 'em all, but still....
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom