Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR The Historian - recovery diary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Historian,

Your posts and pictures make me want to go where you are. The background info you give is brief fun and interesting. They remind me of those wonderful signs at museums and historic places only with a sense of humor. ( I guess this is partly why you are THE HISTORIAN )

Anyway, i think you have talent and would buy your guide books or read your posts on a travel site.

ChrisO

Thank you. As for why I post such things here, I think its important to remember we all had knee replacement done so our worlds could get bigger.

In my case, that's a big enough world that I can walk to the falls at Ohiopyle again. I've visited the falls yearly since 2008, and I remain amazed at the wonder of them. Twenty five decades ago George Washington was plotting a river supply route to Fort Pitt, at the head of the Ohio River, and found no way to navigate around the twenty foot drop at the falls.





The falls are a highlight of Ohiopyle State Park, PA's biggest and busiest, but they aren't the only one. My last hike of any serious length was the Ferncliff Peninsula, on the far side of the falls, two years ago. I'll hike it again. Probably not this trip, but in the future.

The rest of my day was spent at various overlooks and vistas in Somerset county. I stopped where ever I thought the picture appealing. For instance, this field of corn and soybeans bending in the wind along Chestnut Ridge, near the town of Fort Hill.
 
Hiked another trail at Linn Run State Park, and did a walking tour of downtown Ligonier. The temperature this afternoon hit 90, and I am sapped of energy.
 
Beautiful new knees!!!!
 
I spent yesterday at the opening of two new bridges on the Montour Trail, a 46 mile rail to trail project south of Pittsburgh. Like most rail trail projects, the Montour is being completed piecemeal as money permits. Thanks to the sale of mineral rights on land owned by the trail and a rail line using another piece of land the Montour is suddenly able to finance projects it wouldn't otherwise. These include the new bridges over Morganza and Georgetown Roads. When I rode the trail in 2009 I had to lug bike and trailer down and up rough and steep grade crossings and cross busy roads. The opening of the trail bridges eliminates those problems and gives cyclists, runners, and walkers another mile of trail to play on.

Speaking of playing, as I've posted in the cycling thread, this was my first ride since New Year's Day. I was nervous and I had the anticipated problem of my right foot never quite being where I expected it. I went back and forth over the bridges and logged about a mile, or perhaps a bit more, of riding.

Then, on the way back, my host took me to familiar ground, Cedar Creek Park on the Great Allegheny Passage. I knocked out another three or so miles. I need to have the bike refit for the new me, and as far as stamina goes I'm no longer the rider who rode from Pittsburgh to DC three times in 2008 and 2009. But it should come back.

I was stiff last night, but a little Tylenol and rest does wonders.
 
[Bonesmart.org] The Historian - recovery diary
Off into the sunset after a wonderful day biking---that's our Neil! Things are just going to get better and better. So happy you are having a good time and that your body is pretty cooperative. And your pictures, as usual, are wonderful.
 
Wow,
I want to try! I can peddle on the stationary but I'm not sure if I can generate enough force to ride on a real bike just yet. When did you know? How could you tell you were ready?

I'm also afraid of needing to touch down hard with my tip toe foot to keep from falling over when we stop. Im too short to reach flat foot to the ground, even with a girls bike the bar is "snug", so I lean and tip toe touch. I'm afraid I'll just fall over on the bike sideways like in one of those Monty Python Skits.

ChrisO
 
Wow! I'm impressed. I've always longed to ride a real bike but never learned how (we couldn't afford one when I was a kid, and have had numerous friends and family members give up on teach me as an adult when I kept falling over). I put 20" training wheels on a mountain bike but have even fallen off that one on occasion when cornering. And I've had two such bike/trikes stolen--one from my garage and one from under my deck (they poured something on the U-lock to shatter it). No room to safely store one in this neighborhood, and I can't keep one in the house if it has training wheels or is a trike (there are stairs from street level to the entrance, as well as to the basement). I am TERRIFIED to try learning to ride again--even after I have my L knee done and both knees are fully healed--because at my age a fall could result in a hip fx. The best I can hope for is hiking. I salute you!
 
I have heard some advice to NOT ride a bike after tkr for fear of a fall that could damage the knee. Many people would ignore such a concern, but I'm thinking this might be good advice for you! Lol!
 
I have heard some advice to NOT ride a bike after tkr for fear of a fall that could damage the knee. Many people would ignore such a concern, but I'm thinking this might be good advice for you! Lol!

Janet2012, go see the "Cycling Club for Us" thread.

BTW, my host had both knees replaced 11 years ago. She went from a wheelchair to riding across PA. She has other health problems that limit her stamina and range, and her range of motion isn't as good as mine, but she rides regularly.
 
Wow,
I want to try! I can peddle on the stationary but I'm not sure if I can generate enough force to ride on a real bike just yet. When did you know? How could you tell you were ready?

I'm also afraid of needing to touch down hard with my tip toe foot to keep from falling over when we stop. Im too short to reach flat foot to the ground, even with a girls bike the bar is "snug", so I lean and tip toe touch. I'm afraid I'll just fall over on the bike sideways like in one of those Monty Python Skits.

ChrisO

I've been physically ready for a while. Mentally, not so much. I just felt now was the time.

My bike was purchased through a bike shop, and I had them "fit" the bike to me. I make adjustments as I need to. There are some bikes, such as road bikes, that in order to pedal them with the most efficiency your feet cannot touch the ground when seated. There are others, such as so-called "comfort bikes" or "cruisers" in which the pedals are more forward and you can touch the ground when seated. For instance, the Electra Townie:

[Bonesmart.org] The Historian - recovery diary


The best thing to do is to visit a bike shop and ask to ride some bikes. Explain to the shop workers what sort of riding you want to do, and get some ideas. Visit a second shop and ask them.
 
Wow! I'm impressed. I've always longed to ride a real bike but never learned how (we couldn't afford one when I was a kid, and have had numerous friends and family members give up on teach me as an adult when I kept falling over). I put 20" training wheels on a mountain bike but have even fallen off that one on occasion when cornering. And I've had two such bike/trikes stolen--one from my garage and one from under my deck (they poured something on the U-lock to shatter it). No room to safely store one in this neighborhood, and I can't keep one in the house if it has training wheels or is a trike (there are stairs from street level to the entrance, as well as to the basement). I am TERRIFIED to try learning to ride again--even after I have my L knee done and both knees are fully healed--because at my age a fall could result in a hip fx. The best I can hope for is hiking. I salute you!

Bike falls are usually at a low speed and often on soft surfaces. Training wheels are a bad idea. Just remove the pedals, lower the saddle so you can get both feet on the ground if you need to, and coast. When you get the hang of that, then raise the saddle so you can reach the ground on tip-toe. When you are comfortable with that, put the pedals back on, and practice riding in a parking lot or on a grassy surface.

I used this method with a 30 year old guy, and in three afternoons over three weeks I took him from balancing to a 24 mile ride. He was athletic outside of cycling, so he could handle the long miles.
 
Thanks! I am the queen of "fall-down-go-boom" even on two feet: it was a pair of falls that set the cascade of OA in motion for me! The idea of removing the pedals is one I'd never heard before, and it makes sense since what made me give up trying to "coast" to develop balance was getting banged in the shins by the pedals. I wish there were bike riding instructors for adults--believe me, I've "Googled" my fingers off looking!
 
Thanks! I am the queen of "fall-down-go-boom" even on two feet: it was a pair of falls that set the cascade of OA in motion for me! The idea of removing the pedals is one I'd never heard before, and it makes sense since what made me give up trying to "coast" to develop balance was getting banged in the shins by the pedals. I wish there were bike riding instructors for adults--believe me, I've "Googled" my fingers off looking!

Consider something like the Electra Townie I posted above. You can put your feet down flat whenever you like. There's a trade off with speed and handling, but then again such bikes aren't meant for fast riding.

As for removing the pedals, the shop can do it for you or you can do it with a wrench.
 
There are some bikes, such as road bikes, that in order to pedal them with the most efficiency your feet cannot touch the ground when seated.
I don't think so. I ride race quality road bikes, and so do all my mates. Not to be able to put one's foot down whilst remaining in the saddle simply isn't so for any of us.
 
1/4 mile hike on a trail at the Powdermill Nature Preserve, and 8 miles of riding on the Indian Creek Valley Trail, north from the town of Indian Head. Here I am crossing Melcroft Trestle:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom