Guest viewing is limited

The Highs and Lows of the Pre Op Wait

Status
Not open for further replies.
@CricketHip, @Kim22 and @Doodles51
I feel like you girls are part of my family since my cancelled surgery date was right near yours. It's as though I'm still going through all the ore-op emotions with you. You're all so dear to me and I want you to know I will be keeping all of you in prayer from start to finish! God bless each of you!
 
Hello everyone!! Doodles, I don't know about my surgery time either. I guess I will know by 6 pm Sunday evening.. eeeeeee! Can they make it any more suspenseful??
Then the 3 hour prior to surgery arrival? If they do that to me they better have some xanax waiting for me!
I so appreciate everybody's well wishes and comments and yes, we Sapphires have got this!
@Doodles51 and @Kim22 I can't imagine going in for the second hip. Which i have been worrying about. My other hip is getting some familiar sharp pains. I am hoping that it's just getting overworked and it will be fine as soon as I even out my walk. @Bfam85 - thank you for the advice and it is good advice! You are right, I will let them do what they do best. :yes:
Hi @Eliana welcome to Bonesmart!
@Cynthia777 you are so sweet and your prayers are much appreciated! I am proud to have a space on your calendar. :wave:
 
Pokes nose in as he isn't a girl.
Cricket I hope you are OK and keeping all the positive outcomes to the fore in your thinking. I didn't know what time my surgery was but it was three hours waiting and by the time in had seen and signed everything it really did fly and it seemed no time I was marching to the theatre, alas poor arthritis I know you well soon you will be consigned to hell did pop into my head and being a simple chap I had to say it then nought, till I woke. I have this vision of you post opp assessing your quads and trying to massage them. You have been so supportive of many and show a possitive attitude, remember you have many friends here to lean on incl a numpty from Scotland.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@CricketHip

Have you thought about treating yourself to any delectable food and drink this weekend and/or perhaps a special jaunt to somewhere serene and close to nature (if that's your thing)? For me, I would pack a scrumptious picnic basket (and perhaps a lovely bottle of wine for hubby...get him tipsy and take advantage of him :heehee:), grab my fishing pole and find the most serene and beautiful fishing hole I could find. Now you may not be into fishing (as my hubby isn't), and if not, maybe go shopping and buy that special handbag or article of clothing you've been wanting for awhile (use one of those mobility scooters most malls loan out...they're quite fun to zip around in)?

In the coming months I'm going to learn a new craft that can be easily done while sitting. I'm quite inept when it comes to crafting, so it's going to have to be something a child would find easy to learn (maybe a wonderful box of crayola crayons and a few fun coloring books).:heehee:

I know that I know, that you are going to glide through this with flying colors! Oh and by the way, I'm counting the days until surgery for you, so no need for you to do it...I'll remind you buddy!:friends:
 
Today I am 5 days from my surgery. Yesterday I had my internal medicine pre op appointment and today I went to my dentist to have him check the progress of a long summer of work between the two of us. He was very happy and impressed with the improvement and signed my dental clearance. :yay:

For some reason I find myself being weepy at the oddest times. Just now driving home from the dentist, thinking about what a journey this has been already and what's ahead of me and I almost burst into tears.
I'm guessing it's just a reaction to the stress, anticipation, and dread that seem to be a constant right now.

On we go....
 
Its OK @DeepBreath and so allowed. It is a difficult time as you so want the naggy crunching pain gone for good but a tad scared at what is going to happen. The fact it was just after pre opp appointment just means after all this waiting, its now so for real. Don't forget these surgeons don't his day in day out. I'm sure you are well prepared as in all aids and freezer well stocked.
We can't stop our emotions so just accept it and not long and you will be semi bionic.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@DeepBreath

God bless your dear heart!

When I was going through the pre-op roller coaster, I had such a myriad of emotions flowing through me! ELATION at the prospect of being "normal" again, EXCITEMENT that I wouldn't have to "think" consciously before standing up, getting in the car or just plain walking, the ANXIETY of getting through the surgery, the FEAR of the unknown (how much pain will I experience...will my recovery be easy or difficult etc.) and a deep sense of LOSS, as a part of ME wasn't going to be there anymore...I told my hubby that I felt like someone having an amputation, except mine was inside of my body (of course an amputation would be MUCH worse).

What really helped me was breaking down the journey into three phases. Phase one...pre-op and all the anxiety that went along with it, phase two...the actual surgery (waking up and knowing it was behind me and I had "made it"), and phase three...the recovery that, in the scheme of things, is short lived and leads to a glorious pain free life.

So, with that being said, when you wake up from your surgery, you can rejoice and say to yourself, "I'm two-thirds of the way to a joyous pain free life"! You're going to do just great because you are a positive person and I get a sense a pretty strong person at that! You will be in my prayers my friend.

Now mind you, all this expert advice is coming from someone who has chickened out of surgery three times! :heehee:
 
@Legin again, you gave me a good chuckle! Yes, you already know me well, I will be assessing from that first moment in recovery! My first goal is to try to help my swelling with some lymph drainage techniques.
And yes, that poor arthritic joint can go straight to h**l.. lol it would have been welcome til the end it if would have just tried to get along. :blackcloud:
So, Nigel, have you had any good antics with your dementia patient? I so so hope that your foot and lower leg is trying to behave.
@DeepBreath - hugs to you! You have been so busy prepping and getting your ducks in a row and now it's all finished except the pre op tests and the wait. You are where I was last weekend! Now I am in overdrive and feeling quite peaceful. But that could change in a few seconds!
@Cynthia777 - I have done nothing but treat myself to delectable treats for the past 2-3 weeks! I am up like 4 pounds where I had hoped to drop that amount. oh well...
Husband is working Saturday.. I might go to the shore with a friend. The ocean has such a healing quality to it.
Some good friends would like to come over Sunday afternoon but I think I want that day to be a quiet day.

My surgical group has been so attentive, I have had several emails and they added me to the virtual physical therapy web site, then the Nurse Practitioner called to go over any last minute questions... its becoming more and more real!
 
I wonder, what time is it in Scotland ??
 
@Legin, @Cynthia777, @CricketHip, thanks for the kind words. :) I know it's just a roller coaster experience and changes in mood is to be expected. In the end, all will be well.
@Cynthia777, what a great thought about the amputation. I can absolutely relate. It is odd to think that a part of you will shortly be replaced by something totally non-organic. I have also wondered how that will feel.

Thanks again all. Sending good thoughts out for all of you! :)
 
Try and schedule a massage Sunday....nice and relaxing one. I always do that before surgery.
A trip to the shore would be great also. I finally got down to Ocean City yesterday. It was beautiful. I went with my friend...we had so much fun talking, laughing etc.
Thinking of you!
 
Hi @Medfordart you sweetie!
I actually have a couple treats lined up for me.. I have a therapist who is interested in using my studio space while I'm away and wants me to experience her work (for referrals) so I do that tomorrow morning.
then I am going to one of my most trusted colleagues for a nice bodywork session with focus on the low back, thigh and hip flexors.. I hope to have them relaxed and supple so they move without much of a fuss.
'figured I should do that on Saturday so I can start the Hibiclens washing later afterward..
The shore has been beautiful this season. I don't think I will make it there after all, now that I think on it.. my apps will keep me limited.
I am fine with that, we will so something fun and relaxing on Sunday. We are lucky to live in an area with so many nice things to do and see.
 
I don't know, what is the world coming to, no one has mentioned the really big plus of having your surgery now. The rugby World Cup starts tonight and you're going to be recovering for the whole time it's on! For any non-rugby aware ladies, picture 30 muscled athletic men in shorts running & sweating in front of you ( that was my wife's description btw - even though she is a fan ) with the occasional polite brutality. No laughing, this was one of the reasons my original op date of 26th August was so great, but alas I went early.

Have a great prep day


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I'm with you Andy. I like all sport but if I'm watching rugby I'm way more animated than other sport. I played till I was thirty nine, told aged 19 to stop, hmmmmm now I have bad hips. I wonder why.......

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@Legin you reminded me of one of my favourite bits of my pre-op build up. During my interviews with the hospital they asked for a full list of the sports I've done over the years and the level/intensity I did them at. I started competing in sport at age 6 and the list was rather long including such gems as rugby, Muay Thai, Judo, powerlifting and the occasional bit of strongman stuff at levels from county through to international team. He had a huge grin on his face when he said "Well it's none of them, you have a birth defect and the sports have kept you moving to date. We'll soon have you back at it". Now that felt so, so good!

One day closer now, just a final fling weekend to go. Lol - almost sounds like a pre-op hip hen night.

Have a great day


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Holla Crick I googled time diff is we are hours ahead.
The chap I help really is a hoot. He winds his wife up and I say tut windup merchant and he winks. When he enters the room after geting changed he goes tadahhhhh. Many people say about this dementia thing shame they are.like young children, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm happiest times for many of us were??????? I just basically join in with him. Great excuse hey, mind you excuse has never been me, I'm me that's it. Took a lot of joy and many tears to get here but its me. Ooooooooooooooops I've gone off on one again. Keep smiling lass

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom