Guest viewing is limited

TexasTee gets a new knee...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yikes @Maggie94 - I just had the nose one but I will say I think he was more interesting in getting a brain swab as that puppy was way the heck up there! Bizarre experience, it didn't hurt but I certainly didn't like it.

LOL @DogLoverx3 - I'm all about the potty talk - I'm a regular wizzer at the best of times, put me on an IV and I'll be beating a track to the door without a cath. NO on the bedpan, I have experienced this as a first hand witness and want nothing to do with it for as long as I have a say in the matter!

how funny Karen @kaw205 - I was out buying my own toilet grab bar when you posted that! I think its going to have to wait until later in the week or next weekend though, just insisted on helping my husband dismantle and remove our king-size bed frame, it weighed a ton and unlike this AM when I felt pretty awesome and was questioning if I REALLY needed to do this now, I have no question, yup, I really, really do need to do it now. New bed doesn't get here until Tuesday AM so two nights on the mattress on the floor - no bets on if the dogs recognize that it's still a bed and they aren't allowed in it when I'm sleeping. I know that sounds harsh but we're talking about 2 six foot adults, a 70lb Aussie and a 175lb English mastiff who does not care in the least if she lays on you or the bed.
 
Can't help but laugh at the potty talk. :)

When I went in for my femoral block, the anesthesiologist just pulled my gown ALL THE WAY up and went to work, with what seemed like a half dozen folks around me. The first time I used the bedside urinal, the nurse insisted on helping. When I got up the first time to go to the toilet, she wouldn't leave my side.

Humility is a waste of time with this surgery to be sure!
 
Now you know why I went commando....while I was deciding what to wear I just thought that when they put me under I had no control over what they were doing.....knees up ,bending and all of that stuff....probably gave every one a good holler....or perhaps they stood in wonderment. Nah!
 
@vinny @treypops Yep your experiences of lack of privacy are known to all women... generally the rule is leave your dignity at the door of the hospital / Dr and pick it up on the way out:flabber: It is also just a reflection of our society and how we have been brought up - everyone pees n poos it's just that we have put taboos on these functions.

Potty talk is good - lets others know what to expect - sudden surprises are harder to cope with when you are not at your best and in pain therefore forewarned is forearmed.

@TexasTee did the pooches win? Mine sleeps with me but she is only about 50 pounds - medium size Australian kelpie cross

Hope all is good in your worlds - take care Maggie x
 
Just popped in to say hello, you are in my thoughts as you prepare for this. I'm still resting, in fact it's nearly lunch time and I'm not out of bed yet! But that's good, I will exercise this afternoon,it's a nice bright day here, so I'm going for a walk. Five weeks on and I've got a good bend, I'm virtually off the painkillers, just a couple of Tylenol now and then. I'm using my static bike, a couple of miles each day, not a great distance, but it's a start. I'm hoping to use the pool next week, if I can get up in time - the warm, shallow learner pool is only available to adults between 7 and 9 in the morning!!!
Take care xxxx
 
Hi @Maggie94 - believe it or not neither of the dogs tried to breach the mattress! Pottery Barn delivery man just called and said they were on the way. Yeah! Getting up from the bed on the floor sucked, a lot!

Hi @Ellejay - thanks for stopping by! I'm really going to do my best to emulate your resting in, I think that by letting yourself heal, you're doing the absolute best thing for your knees. Yikes on the pool times, still - you can always come home eat and get back into bed :)
 
So the "rule" is that Chloe the gianormous EM is not allowed on the bed at night. During the day, she can be - will be interesting to see if she can be up there with me and the CPM and ice machine! We will not attempt this without supervision :no-fin:

So - new additions this week are a shower chair with arms - the built in bench is fairly small but should be ideal for me to put my foot on while being in the chair for a bit of elevation. Thanks to hmmm, the guy with the really long name that starts with D on the "hi there" thread I have ordered a body pillow and it's on the way. What else - oh I initiated my STD (short term disability) the only STD I better ever have!!! Anyway so that is done and I had to send the forms to the OS so asked his PA if I can have a pedicure prior and she said YES! - will tell them not to muck with the cuticles, just a gel polish that lasts about 6 weeks so I'll have pretty toes. Now to decide the color :egypdance: Winter toes tend to be a bit odd - currently they are metalic blue with sparkles!

Hope everyone is well!
 
Yey @TexasTee you are humming along. Bet Ms Chloe intuits that you are not 100% and becomes very gentle around you - she'd probably do this anyhow to get up on the bed with you - doggies are real smart when it comes to getting what they want:puppysmooze:

On the slippery slope ans sliding - take care - get really funky toe polish - gotta keep amused - cheers Maggie x
 
Hi @Maggie94 - I hope she does - she and Peter Murphy the Aussie shepherd were super careful with my friend from Miami who came to live with me after her ankle replacement for several weeks. SO I have hope...but not confidence. I got some super cool crutches and tried them out about a month ago and they started playing and totally ran me over. I'm hoping that's because they knew I was faking needing them but yikes...that would be bad. Probably fine though, after all the stupid shots I inflicted on myself that made me unable to walk Chloe was a champ, super careful with me and completely willing to sleep the 20 hours that seemed required.

How are you? you're up mere hours after me!
 
Hi @TexasTee Teresa I am going well - just impatient with time ... yep we are a few hours apart - it is 11.15 here on 15 Jan - what is it in your part of the world - we can try to work out how many hours apart:scratch: - LOL
 
@Maggie94 - it's 5:15PM on 1/14 so you are in the future! lol - I assume 11:15am? looks like you are 18 hours ahead
 
yep - sorry make that 10.15 am; so I am 14 hours in the future from you - sounds a bit sci fi - LOL
 
Actually - I was wrong to start so you are officially 17 hours in the future! So you'll really be up the day after I am...time zones are wierd! Not to worry, apparenlty neither of us will be sleeping much for the next two months we we'll have plenty of time for gibber-gabber about out knees.
 
right on girlfriend - gibber gabber will probably be about right - LOL

Have a great evening - cheers Maggie
 
@TexasTee At the orientation I went to at the hospital they told the women to NOT wear any nail polish on the surgical leg as one of the ways they check for returning circulation is to look at the nails on that foot. I think all of the doctors at this particular hospital use the tourniquet around the thigh to cut off circulation or minimize bleeding which may be the reason for that.
 
Actually I think all TKRs require tourniquets - interesting the different approaches to the same thing, seems that no 2 Doc's do it the same way! As long as the result is the same,it's all good. Painted toes cheer me up so I'm glad mine must have some other way of monitering for circulation...but note to self, don't pick blue, wouldn't want them to think Im bloodless!
 
There is a lot of research that shows a tourniquet with spinal and sedation results in less blood loss....my OS has had very few patients requiring any blood as the loss is minimal...

Vinny
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom