TexasTee gets a new knee...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @Phil75070 - it's pretty vague, actually - it just says blood work, x-ray and ekg if deemed necessary. I think most people get it done with their regular Dr. but this center does all their own...they also review your medical history and current medications and have you meet with the anesthesiologist, again, if deemed necessary.
 
@Phil75070 @TexasTee
I am in the process of the pre op med check - bloods, cultures (checking that you are not carrying MRSA) urine, chest xray and ECG... all good fun but a bit time consuming. My general Dr will have all the results next Monday and I am booked to see her and go tru them with her and then I take copies to my pre admission clinic on Wednesday. I like this approach cause it is like a mini major medical (if you can have such a thing) - nice to know all your bits - other than knees - are doing the right thing -

TT just realised this is a bit of a rave on your post - hope its OK - cheers Maggie x
 
Rave all you like Maggie :) Actually, it's good info - they told me to set aside 2 hours for the tests but really nothing about what they would be. I'll report back once I'm thru and we can compare notes.
 
@TexasTee @Maggie94 I don't know why it stuck in my head when I saw "med check" that it was just referring to "meds" as in "medications" check. I got guidelines on what to stop "x" number of days before and I also went over them via a phone call with the OR admitting nurse a day or two before surgery. I couldn't grasp why you would have to go in for a meds (medications) check.

Yes, I, too, went through a pre-op approval screening (what you refer to as a med check) that included blood, urine, EKG and chest x-ray. Added to that for the first knee were a 2nd chest x-ray, a 2nd EKG, an echo cardiogram, a couple of CT scans, a head x-ray, a PET scan and a bone marrow aspiration, as well as having to see a cardiologist, hematologist/oncologist and an ENT guy before I could get surgical approval. This time, for the left knee, all it took was blood, urine and an EKG in my PCP's office as I had just recently had a CT scan (taking the place of a chest x-ray).
 
Wow, that's a lot of tests!! I've had the CT scan already - ummmm, what were they looking for in your head? if I might be so bold as to ask?!
 
A lot of tests because they kept thinking they saw something and with additional tests it turned out, pretty much to be nothing. The skull x-ray was for something that turned out to be just a "fatty deposit". At least that is what they told me. I really think they were checking to see if I had a brain or if I was in my right mind. :)

Oh, one test I forgot was an ultrasound of one of my kidneys! LOL
 
great @TexasTee I'd be interested in what you do "over there" - LOL. Just give yourself over to being a lab rat while they poke and prod... all for a good cause YOU:flwrysmile::flwrysmile: - Maggie x
 
TexasTee, It sounds like you are really prepared. I hear (and know from experience) that my doc is one of the best, but they have not offered anything pre-op except labs, ecg, etc. Even though I am a nurse, I would have appreciated a pre=op class. You were very smart to ask so many questions. How long did they say you would be off for? My doc said I could go back to work in the emergency dept in eight weeks, but I am thinking that will be too soon. I will not mind calling in for a while longer if I have to. Best wishes for everyone on this awesome site. Rambling and a bit nervous.... Surgery T-15 hours and counting!!
 
@butterflydancer I see you're in Columbia, MO. Are you having your surgery at University Hospital? If so....who is your surgeon?
 
@butterflydancer - my OS said some go back as early as 6 weeks with office jobs like mine. I told my boss to plan for 8 but understand that it could go longer. My job is really flexible about working from home part of the time so who knows, 6 might work out. Time will tell...actually the KNEE will tell me, it gets to be the boss for a few more months :)

I see that you're in process now - best of luck and see you on the other side!
 
@butterflydancer Check the hospital where your surgery will take place. Both of the hospitals where I had my knees done offered some form of orientation or pre-op "class". They aren't real frequent, usually one every couple to a few weeks which is why I missed the one for my first knee but made a point to inquire in plenty of time before my 2nd knee. These are "sponsored" by the hospital, not the OS.
 
My pre-op testing was pretty easy. EKG, bloodwork, urine. Then they just verbally went over my medical history and allergies. Good luck!!
 
I had to go one week to have the ECT, MRSA test and go through my medical history, and then the following week to have the blood tests. It seemed such a waste of time, but the liver function test can only be done within a week of the operation and the MRSA needed longer than that for the culture to develop, if it was going to. That's what I was told, I'm not sure that I believe it.
 
Ha! Sounds fishy to me, too :)

Just talked to the nurse and I'm confirmed to be on the books for January 26th and my pre-op testing is tomorrow at 3 - sounds like I have the same lineup as @kaydubs - blood, urine and EKG.
 
@Ellejay MRSA cultures do not take a week to develop. They are bacteria with a "reproductive" cycle tat is about 30minutes which means if you start with 100 of these critters you have 400 in an hour 1600 in 2 hours and 6400in 3 hours and so on.... Yes I think what you were told is fishy.
 
Thanks @Maggie94, I might have misunderstood exactly what I was told, but it was definitely down to timing, some of the tests needed longer than a week and some less. I'm pretty sure I could have had all of them at the same appointment.
 
It may take several days for the paperwork, rather than the test. ;) Glad you have your date.
 
Oooo er @Texas Tee - it is getting closer now, isn't it?
I had my pre-assess 2 weeks beforehand and exactly the same stuff as you are having. Weight, ECG, bloods and urine and general health stuff - allergies etc. No MRSA testing. Gave me a chance to ask if I HAD to have a catheter. I was very scathing about it, but when the time came SO grateful!

Hope all goes well, and will chat again nearer D Day/Knee Day.
XXXX
 
Ha - hadn't even considered questioning the cath...not that I'm looking forward to it but I am one that is constantly in the restroom so I'll take it!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024

Members online

Back
Top Bottom