Guest viewing is limited

TexasTee gets a new knee...

Status
Not open for further replies.
If anyone could screw up toast it would be a hospital or military kitchen. Two places that I have way too much experience with....I mentioned my gray pancakes on my thread at our hospital and it gave me flashbacks to basic training in 1968...they would slap pancakes on the tray and when you went down the chow line the next guy would ladle syrup onto the pancakes..they were horrible but we ate them anyway ..turns out the half asleep syrup ladle guy was putting vegetable oil on them instead of putting it on the grill to make the pancakes...no wonder I was a skeleton at the end of basic training.....but I digress...last minute preparations Teresa for your surgery and fabulous recovery..

Vinny
 
Too funny on the oily pancakes so bad it wasn't even noteworthy! A real shame when someone messes up toast, one of lifes perfect pleasures is real butter on perfectly toasted bread.

Just got the call from the hospital - my portion of my knee replacement is 4000 - it's the max out of pocket I have for a year. I suppose that's good/normal? Kind of funny, I hadn't really even considered the fact that not only am I letting someone chop off my knee, I"m paying them to do it! Surgery total she said (WITHOUT the surgeons portion) was 44000. Bionics ain't cheap!

Getting nothing accomplished at work today but I'm pretty ok with that. I'm handing off to my colleague in a few minutes then will stop even pretending to work and go about getting the last minute lists accomplished.
 
All the very best Teresa on Monday and I look forward to your first progress report..one thing we have here is good but incredibly expensive health insurance..I have not seen a bill but my OS billed $4,600 in New York it would probably be $46,000.....over before you know it

Vinny
 
At least you won't be out of pocket for the rest of the year! I think my total bill (hospital, anesthetist, surgeon, saltines, etc....) was something insane like $98,000. Most of that being hospital charges for 2 days. I had already almost met my deductible for the year, I think my actual out of pocket was around $600.

Have fun with the lists! And cocktails.....don't forget cocktails (it's 5 o'clock somewhere, right?)
 
I'm totally horrified at what you have to pay in the US! But I don't want to start a political debate!

Going privately and using medical insurance here in NZ, my co-pay was $4,855.40 (I pay 20%). The total cost, including surgeon, anaesthetist and hospital, was $24,437.17. That's in NZ dollars too, which are worth less than US dollars.
 
£13,250 private procedure in London UK. Paid an additional £1000 out of my own pocket for CT scan and DePuy personalised cutting blocks.
 
Wow - it is quite differnt 'round the world, isn't it? Just called and got my start time - 6AM so no worries on the starving portion, my stomach would reject food that early in the morning :) Will be good to be done!! Well, with part one, anyway.

Picked up some last minute sketcher slide on shoes and a neck wallet - it's just a small pouch to wear around your neck, will easily hold my phone and my glasses to keep track of them at the hospital and for use at home so I'll always have my phone on my person so I can make foreys to the loo without my husband following me. Great advice Ellen! Just realized it has tons of zip pockets so if I'm going to be away from home I can put my credit cared and next round of meds in there too...pretty much all I need to do just about anything.
 
@TexasTee I am surprised you don't know your op time. I learned mine the day I got the date. I am bummed that my surgery is not till 11:45am. I am going to be one starving cranky lady that morning. I hope to be able to sleep in and will pray they start the happy drugs soon!
 
I have finally caught up on some of my BS reading - @TexasTee not long now. Hope you feeling cool... no nerves and positive for Monday.

Very interesting discussion re costings... my double, 1 week in hospital and 3 in Rehab hospital + all meds, the bionics :giggle:, & the OS will be about $A4,500 out of pocket... don't know the charge for the sleep guy. @Celle sounds like NZ is the same as Oz.

Who ever Ellen is - thanks for the idea of the small pouch to have round your neck - BRILLIANT - I've just resurrected an old travel/money pouch will will be just the best for $$, phone, meds, tissues, and any other small thing - LOVE IT!!!

Hi @Blendab1 welcome to the BS family - Teresa and I are a couple of days apart with our surgeries and both of us post a bit (yep yak yak yak) so hopefully there will be a bit more insight support for us

OK outa here - take care all of you - Teresa BIG hug - stay strong, focused and positive - cheers Maggie x
 
TexasTee,
Seems like forever waiting for your TKR, and here it is only 3 day away. Wishing you all the best, sounds like you are well prepared and ready to go. :hog:
 
T, your idea of a neck-pack is brilliant! I'm trying to think of something to add to this discussion in terms of preparing for surgery and it's all here on this blog already. This, as they say is, "another growth experience!" I'll be looking for your thread on the other side. You're going to do great!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Maggie94 I will be cheering you on during your recovery! Your big day is almost here too so I wish you lots of calmness and fun before then. Now I am off to find your thread!
 
Hi everyone! Interesting @Blendab1 - I had thought that all US hospitals used the same protocol - I assumed to protect the schedule against drop offs and such.

To give credit to where it is due - @DogLoverx3 is the Ellen with the neck pouch advice. My husband saw it on the table and asked what it was for and when I told him that it's to keep my phone in to keep it on my person in case I fall and cannot get up when he's away - he got very serious and told me to pass on his thanks for the idea...he will feel a lot better that I have it. So Thank you, Ellen!

Feels surreal that the op is in 2 days - off to yoga to get some last minute Zen then will finish my list of things I think I absolutely must do with all of my original parts intact!!! @Maggie94 - you're right behind me, doing ok?
@earthspa - I had about as much lead time as you do to get all the advice in the world from the experts here at BS - it's a fantastic resource...you are in the exact right place.

Happy Pain free day, everyone!
 
Goodness @TexasTee, I can't believe you are going to have this op at last, we seem to have been chatting about it forever! But there again, time has flashed by. I'm sure you must be one of the most prepared people ever to go into this, having listened to our 'early 2014' groups moans and whines, and picked up on scraps of advice here and there. I wish you all the luck possible, however well prepared, it will be up to your surgeon, your knee and your body how your recovery goes, we are all totally different. All the best, I look forward to reading your posts 'on the other side' xxxxxx Lyn
 
good luck and best wishes to you. Go in with a postivie attitude and the mantra I will do great. Sounds like you are prepared. One thing I didn' t expect to have was extremely low blood pressure in the preop area. I took my BP medicine the morning Of the surgery as instructed. In the preop area my blood pressure plummented and I did what is called vagleing. I was almost to the point of passing out. My blood pressure was 89 at one point. I had apprehension about the IV (I am hard to stick) and I am sure that added to it. They had to get the IV in fast and start fluids right away and that helped So just do some yoga breathing, I think that helps. You will do great, i am sure.
 
@janmont, I am requesting that you use a larger font size for your posts. Some of us older folks find it difficult to read such small print. Thanks for your cooperation.
 
Good luck, @TexasTee. My surgery was the 21st and I'm sitting at home in my chair now, watching the birds, drinking coffee. Blissed out thanks to meds. :)

Looking forward to your post surgery reports.
 
I'm Ellen @Maggie94 ! :) Tell your husband, T, that he's very welcome. Especially since I recovered on my own (the dogs weren't much help), I found having my phone ON me at ALL times was invaluable. I was very unsteady and unsure at the beginning and I didn't want to risk slipping, falling, whatever without being able to get ahold of someone. As I find in real life, a phone will fall out of your pocket and I certainly didn't want to have to try to manage to pick something off the floor! I even wore the neck pouch in bed. As I wasn't able to sleep more than 20 minutes at a time anyway, it gave me an added sense of security.

I'm excited for you to get this show on the road Teresa! You're going to do great and if pre-planning is any indication of how your recovery will go, you've got this!
 
Hi @Awriterafoot - welcome! Just 3 days out and sounds like you are doing well, outstanding!

LOL Lyn, I know, right? I've been here forever...like both you and Ellen mention, I am as prepared as I can get, now I have to see what I have to work with after. I do strongly believe in positive intention and will be keeping that in my daily mantra - I think Maggie is planning to do that, also - we can have our own silver lining playbook!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom