Guest viewing is limited

TexasTee gets a new knee...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, do take it. I wasn't even offered it for TKR 1, it was agony having to get up that first night, but I woke up with one in for TKR 2, I was at first disappointed, but I was so glad to have it as evening wore on. I was really thirsty, and I could drink as much as I liked.
 
Ha ha - here I am lowering the tone yet again with all this talk of catheters.
I was horrified and so cross that I would have one inflicted upon me - but in the reality, it was brilliant. I was really sad when I lost it on Day 2 and would have quite liked it as a permanent fixture. I usually take frequent 'comfort stops' and it was just so handy.
I felt really sorry for the nursing staff though as I drink a lot of water - got in the habit of doing so while living in hot countries and just cant shake it. Ha ha, they were forever emptying the thing and gazing in wonderment at the volume I produced. If I had it for much longer, I think they would have limited my fluid intake!

XXX
 
My pre-op testing was pretty easy. EKG, bloodwork, urine. Then they just verbally went over my medical history and allergies. Good luck!!
Same with me it just took over 4 hours when you factor in the waiting time also met the anesthetist ..fairly routine to make certain you can handle the procedure...had to bring a list of any meds too

Vinny
 
@vinny - they told me to allow 2 hours but I assumed it would take longer with waiting, as well, that is why I chose Friday afternoon, I figured I'd go when they were most likely motivated to get finished on time!

LOL Chris nd Lyn for the first hand experience! I drink tons of liquids - so I don't think they will be a big fan of me, either. Assuming I have one...something tells me that if I do not, all the sudden, I'm not going to feel so thirsty!

Thanks Phil - I'm a bit leary of the EKG - I had mitral valuve prolapse as a child but was told I'd grow out of it, I do occassionally have heart flutters so I'm a wee bit worried they are going to see just enough to want to torture me with lots of other tests. Guess we'll find out!
 
Yes, do take it. I wasn't even offered it for TKR 1, it was agony having to get up that first night, but I woke up with one in for TKR 2, I was at first disappointed, but I was so glad to have it as evening wore on. I was really thirsty, and I could drink as much as I liked.
Neither of my OS's preferred automatic catheters. They want me to try to go on my own after surgery. BOTH times I couldn't go on my own and had to get a straight cath. Lemme tell you, you don't want that!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Heck!, your surgery will likely go faster. For me it was over in a flash. 1 hour and a half. The pre op room was pretty nerve wracking though. They shave your leg and the anesthesiologist gives your the happy juice and they prep you. Than you wake up in the recovery room. With a catheter. For me it was convenient as i drink fluids all day. Im sure you will do just great. You are prepared and more than ready ! Best of luck ,see u on the otherside, Iceman
 
@TexasTee yep same regime I went thru here in Sydney - looks like we are instep on the pre op check list:yahoo: - 2 weeks for you from tomorrow.... really into it now my friend - Maggie x
 
@TexasTee Congrats on clearing the pre-op hurdles. You are going to do great!

I didn't have a catheter, and in hindsight, I'm pretty glad that I didn't. It's a little bit easier for us guys though with the plastic bedside urinals. My OS doesn't give anyone a catheter though...he wants his patients up and going to the restroom on their own as soon as possible.
 
Hi everyone - thanks for checking in!

@treypops - I'm pretty sure my OS is of the get up and go variety but time will tell. As @Maggie94 said - 2 weeks from tomorrow, time seems to be on hyperspeed all of the sudden. And based on the time difference, Maggie, you'll be up just hours later! Hi @icep707 - yes, that sounds like the pre-op from my meniscus surgery - the worst part about it was getting the IV going, my nurse sucked at it. I'm not tooooo worried about the leg shaving part :heehee:.
 
With my first knee I had an IV started and then the anesthesiologist came in to insert the femoral block. He gave me something to "relax" me and that is the last thing I remember until waking up in recovery.

With my left knee they started the IV and I was then wheeled into the OR where I sat up and bent over while the spinal was started. I got to look around at all of the tools and and prostheses being set up on long tables and I was a little surprised as to how narrow the operating table actually was. Operating rooms look nothing like they do on TV in my estimation. :dubious: I laid back down, looked up at my surgeon and said something and that is the last thing I remember until awakening in recovery.
 
Hi@TexasTee,
Glad your preop testing went well.
I'm having mine tomorrow and then pre admission at the hospital on tues.
Did they do the MRSA test with a nose swab?
I'm 9 days and counting. Can't wait until the surgery is over and I'm home recovering in my nest!
Well, gotta go and install grab bars on my toilet.....
Best Regards,
Karen
 
Ahh, your thread has moved to potty talk; just as I knew it would. ;-) I didn't even know catheters were an option and probably would have declined due to not being aware of what was to come. Although I've read entertaining stories of bed pans as well (entertaining only because it wasn't me that they mishapped on), wasn't aware that was an option either so I got up each time I needed to use the restroom. Which was a LOT. I drink tons of water added to the fluids I got during surgery made for a few too many dreaded trips to the loo. It was probably a week before I stopped having to pee every few hours round the clock. TMI? Oh well, sorry :heehee:
 
Thanks @Maggie94,​
I had to google perineum.....I hope that's something they only do "Down Under" LOL :heehee:.
A friend of mine had a nose and armpit swab. I could handle that.....
Not looking forward to any down under stuff!
Best Regards,
Karen
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom