TexasTee gets a new knee...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Makes sense @vinny - all of the people I've chatted with here had the tourniquet so it seems pretty consistant.

New furniture is here and I've rearranged all my drawers to put all the stuff I'm likely to wear in the easiest to reach ones - will work on the kitchen arrangements this weekend. It will be a bit odd to find things for a while but should make me able to do some things for myself.

My last day of work is next Friday...to quote Almost Famous..."its All happening!"
 
Hey Teresa...you and @Maggie94 are no doubt the best prepared of any in bonesmart history!!! Shower chair with arms is a winner as is the raised toilet with arms if you have one of those in fact anything with arms is great........I have a sock puller oner that was a waste. What was I thinking as I almost never wear socks....that's what happens when you go to the medical supply store and say.."do you have anything that would help some one who is having both knees replaced?" I am pretty sure that they looked outside and saw the turnip truck I fell off of as I bought all kinds of stuff which will be going to a friend of mine having both knees done in April....she saw me walk on the golf course and asked when I was having surgery..when I told her been there done that she scheduled hers the next day....

Regarding your dogs and getting on the furniture...you would probably be amazed what they do when they think no one is watching....get a nanny cam and see...

I think it's great that you and Maggie are on similar schedules if we ever figure what time it is in Australia ..is it yesterday or tomorrow? I am looking forward to following your progress as well as your favorite purchase....seems like the body pillow is an early favorite .....

Vinny:capn::vespa:
 
Yoga was brutal today - not to push my luck and I did just knock on wood but I'm pretty sure PT after will not hurt as much as 90 minutes of yoga has just recently! More than ready to move along - tempted to skip the last few classes I can get in before the op but probably won't - it's very quad/hip flexor/hamstring focused and I need mine to be as good as they can and keep my ROM up. I have no doubt had I quit my practice when it started getting really painful (last year? certainly it's been beyond bad since summer) that my ROM would be much, much less. As it is if I try to touch my foot to my backside on the left it's super easily done, on the right side, with effort, I can get it about 5 inches away...ditto to straighten, it will go completely straight but it's effort.

Hi Vinny - I don't know about Maggie but my prep is plain ole control freak being faced with a situation that there is very little I really get to control! I did get a shower chair with arms but not a toilet seat, the nurse said they provide that and I think they do the shower as well but I"m not sure and I'd rather just have my own. Had heard the same from several - that grabbers, and sock deals did not really get used so didn't bother. My husband is great at picking up and socks :)
 
Your yoga now will be a big help in recovery.......I had people wanting to give me their toilet seats but I thought I would get my own....icky....5 inches away now and you will be loving the new knee!

Vinny
 
@TexasTee your surgery is just around the corner! I made many of the same preparations. I actually replaced my low toilets with the "comfort height" (ADA) type. Then I installed toilet arms but no need for a riser. That configuration has served me well. I'm 3 months out and just starting to think about removing the shower chair and toilet frame.. I'll probably wait a few more months. If you will use a walker I recommend some kind of pouch for carrying your small essentials.
 
@TexasTee Teresa yes I am also a control freak but I get a bit lax... then I have a burst and get lots done. it snow really on the radar - 7 days away - 6.5 really but who is counting:giggle: (I'm 9.5 - he he).

I'm impressed that you can do yoga - i just couldn't - last time I tried was about 5 years ago. I then moved to pilates which I could sort of do - there will be no stopping me with my bionics bits in place.

Hope you are having a great day - cheers Maggie x
 
Hi @TexasTee, just dropping in to say hello. You sound as if you are so ready, you will be glad to just get in and get the whole process over. I'm now six weeks out, managed a night with no painkillers last night, and a full nights sleep, although my knee was very achey this morning so I have resorted to a couple of paracetamols. The physio has been very pleased that I know most Pilates exercises, and so is basing my recovery exercises round those, particularly bridge and clam. I'm walking 20 mins to half an hour each day and generally life is good :). Muscles are still a bit sore from sudden use again, but they will get used to it.i know I've got a long way to go, but life is definitely feeling more normal now, six weeks isn't too bad, in the scheme of things. Just thought I'd try to give you some cheerful news, take care xxxx
 
Hi everyone! Great update from @vinny @Ellejay and @Clipless - hope from the other side! I hope my PT is up on yoga - I've been theorizing based on the exercises I've seen listed what I might be able to adapt to help rehab, it would be fun to have someone help work out what will work!

Maggie - I know - this time next week I'll be doing the last frantic clean of my house, invent 50 urgent items that must be done and HOPEFULLY chuck it all and spend a fun day out and about with my husband. We will see! As to still being able to do yoga - my Doc's have all been pretty baffled as well, I can only assume that since I have great muscles and a stubborn streak a mile wide that combo trumps a stupid knee. There are days though that I can't force myself to do it - that was probably the real last straw, I knew if I stopped going I'd be using walking aids within a very short time. I assumed I'd be wildly second guessing by now but none of that here - lets do this thing!
 
@TexasTee love your attitude Teresa....go get em girl!! I vote for the fun day with your man. Life is soooooo much more important than housework. Maggie x
 
Sounds like you're getting organized for the countdown now. :)
 
Hey TexasTee, all your questions look great to me! I think the polar cube is going to come in handy for sure...hopefully you will start up another thread in the post op section and keep us all posted. I'll be sending you fast healing energy and a calm mind as the day approaches.
 
Teresa I must confess not to know that much about Yoga but if it helps with quad strength and balance it will help you a great deal in your recovery....you are at that right place mentally to get it done and move forward with your life I just have a good feeling that you and @Maggie94 will support and keep each other motivated and have great recoveries......

Vinny
 
Thanks @pumpkin @Maggie94 @earthspa and @vinny - it does feel great to be in the home stretch and be feeling so good about the decision. I will definitely be starting a post op log next Sunday and providing probably too much info about my recovery...but I can't tell you how much I learned from everyone who came before me so if there is anything extra I can add to the wealth of knowledge then I'm happy to contribute.

I don't eat sugar or wheat so I found some reasonable rice and lentil crackers, tapioca pudding with no sugar added, Kind bars and Uber bars, also ginger tea and vitamin water packets - making a vast pot of chicken and wild rice soup - heavy on the turmeric and ginger and that is the end of my prep...I think! Next weekend I need to fill the freezer with dog food (my dogs eat raw meat and bones...my husband is nearly vegetarian...generally I feed them, this should be interesting!) and do an epic cleaning and I'll be sorted.

Vinny - there are all kinds of yoga so you'd get a different answer from any two people you asked but the series I do is very lower body centric and the poses are the same every class so I was able to work up a few adaptations for those things that my knee simply won't do - much easier for me than a class that changes all the time. Lots of balancing poses - my hope is that I'll be able to recover to a point where I am doing at least as much as I am now - just with a lot less pain!

I'll take those healing thoughts earthspa - and yes, I'm quite certain I'll not unplug myself from the polar care unit for quite a long time! It's one that has a pump so all that is required is to fill the cooler part with ice. I used it all the time after each of my idiotic procedures.

Maggie - did you get your pillow yet? I had to stuff pillow Bill into the zipper cover it came with and it was like an aerobic workout! As a newly wed, I felt I shouldn't cause any competition in the bedroom so I named my pillow after my husband :) Yes, I'm aware I'm a nut!
 
Teresa have you ever tried "Quest" protein bars....very high in protein(20 grams) no sugar and taste great.....I ate them when I lost 50 lbs on a high protein diet......health stores,vitamin shops, etc.

Vinny
 
Thanks for posting about the Quest bars Vinny - hadn't heard of them and always looking for high protein, low carb, low sugar that doesn't take like....well, you know ;-) Teresa, Sprouts has a few flavors and then Hi-Heath carries them as well (and they make 'chips' too ~ although no clue what they taste like)
 
Very Welcome @DogLoverx3 ...they come in many different flavors...I like Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough and Apple Pie..190
calories 17 grams of fiber 21 grams of protein and 1 gram of sugar .....Peanut Butter Supreme too..the net carbs are usually ZERO..

Vinny
 
Excellent - thanks Vinny and Ellen - I'll pick some up! I have a feeling there are going to be a lot of protein bars in my future!

This time next week I'll be in process - yikes!
 
@DogLoverx3 I neglected to mention that Quest has a website and they ship all over the U.S. probably want to try it before you order GNC carries them if you have one nearby

Vinny
 
Thanks Vinny. I had found the website yesterday as well as a store near me that carries them. Hopefully they'll have different flavors or else I saw online that you can get a box of 12 assorted to try. :-)

Okay, back to knees.....
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom