Guest viewing is limited

TexasTee gets a new knee...

Status
Not open for further replies.
@TexasTee


T-minus one week! I hope you enjoy this week and don't become too anxious in the days and hours leading up to your surgery. All the best...
 
New knee - 5 - getting exciting! Started thinking about what to bring to the hospital - stay will only be 1-3 days so not much, back up food in case I want to eat outside of normal feeding time, iPod and headphones, some sorty of PJ item, slippers, chromebook.

Did anyone bring in a pillow and/or blanket from home? The hospital issue stuff leaves something to be desired at every hospital I've ever been too.
 
hi @TexasTee for hospital I have t-shirt nighties (come down to mid thigh) - figure just get it over your head and not worry about putting pants on (I am a T-shirt & nicker girl usually) plus toiletries. On toiletries - remember lip balm

@Threads made the great point of a little bit to hospital in a small bag and the main "luggage" to be brought in by someone later for rehab - exercise stuff & casual street clothes. I'm repacking... my spare room looks like a bomb site.

I was also told to bring my xrays and a walking stick to hospital - one of those adjustable ones - so those two items are ticked off:yes:.

Not long to go now - 4 days for you and 6 for me (with time difference adjustment:flabber:) Have you thought of a name for your recovery thread? Post it on your pre op thread so we can skip acorss and keep tabs on you:thumb:

that's it for me for the moment - got errands to run this morning, cleaning lady coming :yahoo:so tidying (not cleaning) the house. Take care - cheers Maggie x
 
@TexasTee I brought a toothbrush and a couple of changes of clothing (loose athletic shorts and tee shirts). I also brought my cell phone and laptop. I had some music and headphones but never really got around to listening to any. The only time I fired up the laptop was to post updates to bonesmart. Truly, I spent most of my time dozing, doing PT, and getting blood drawn. :gaah:

As far as pillows and blankets, I didn't bring any of that stuff. My bed was adjustable so I didn't really have much of a need for pillows, and as far as blankets go, I was constantly burning up and didn't have the need for one. Of course, everyone is different.
 
I wouldn't bring anything in the way of blanket or pillows from home T. Things can be a bit er, messy. Between the IVs, the drain in your knee, the iodine, etc.... I fear whatever you brought would be ruined. Like Treypops, although I brought a book, music and my laptop, I pretty much dozed, got up to pee every hour and got stuck for blood draws, blood thinners and everything else that is timed just perfectly to wake you up the second you drift off (and never done all at the same time).

As for food, my hospital was more like room service than 'meal time'. I could order what I wanted, whenever I wanted as long as it was between like 5am and midnight. My entree of choice was saltines, but my friend loved the room service factor as she ate all my meals :-)

Hopefully they'll have a white board in your room listing all your pain meds and how often/at what times they are to be administered so you know when you're 'due'. And remember, as has been pointed out many times on here, if you're in pain, make a fuss and if they ask you to rate it, you should say level 6 or above or else they tend to pussyfoot around.

Double check about the hospital providing a walker for you. I was told to bring mine with and that's kind of important to know ahead of time. You're gonna do great!!!
 
I would not worry about your own bedding but phone ,charger,iPads,etc......out before you know....I would have starved on hospital food but snacks and food from home saved the day....T minus 5

Vinny
 
You guys rock, thank you! I know I have a private room but I haven't seen it so wasn't sure about the need to provide my own elevation and I'm nearly always cold. I'm probably the only one in Texas who has a fire if it's under...70...ok, 65. :) So perhaps I'll put a blanket in the car and only ask for it if it seems necessary. A cheap one in deference to Ellen's prediction! I can't really sleep without the white noise from the Air purifiers that we run all the time so even if I'm not really listening - I think that might help.

I didn't ask about a walker but did ask if I should bring my crutches and they said no, they would evaluate and send me home with what I'll need. Again, I'll have them in my car in case they do actually want me to use them. As much as I don't want to, I'm pretty sure with the dogs I do need the walker.

I'm a sleep in my skin girl, generally, but not ideal for the hospital so I'll bring both shorts/tank and a night shirt...which, I'll need to buy, the only gown type stuff I have was purchased for my honeymoon and somehow, I do not think that is quite the idea! :)

I am nearly positive I visited my friend in a hospital in the same chain and he loved the food so hopefully I won't need it but I am not a person who skips meals without penalty so figured it would be better to have reserves!
 
Private room is the way to go.......you will be a star......

Vinny
 
It seems most hospitals these days provide meals off a menu where you can choose what you want to eat (which was the case this last time) or change the meal if they have "standard" meals they provide (which was the way it worked in the other hospital for my right knee). For my November knee the hospital is more of an outpatient surgical facility with only 21 beds. Each morning they took your meal order and it was taken by the person who would actually prepare the meal. So if you are one who likes their scrambled eggs runny they would prepare them that way for you. Because of the anesthesia and medications I didn't find anything very tasty nor did I have much of an appetite for the few days I was in either hospital. I found the food in the inpatient rehab facility I was in for the right knee very unappetizing and seldom warm enough to suit my taste.
 
We have a new hospital that opened its new wing in October and it caused my surgery to be pushed back a little bit...its beautiful and my private room on the top floor with a view of the ocean was like a 5 star hotel...until the first meal arrived I asked what it was and was told "pancakes" having never seen gray pancakes I cautiously took a nibble and called my wife and begged her to bring me some oatmeal and a thermos of coffee....they asked me to fill out a patient satisfaction survey and I wanted to wait until discharge for fear they would make me eat the pancakes....

Vinny
 
I had a private room as well....but that doesn't mean it will be private. People will be coming in and out of there like grand central station. If rest is what you want, it will be elusive in the hospital.

If you're a "sleep in my own skin kinda girl," the gown may be perfect for you! My gown was essentially a sheet since it wouldn't stay snapped in the back. Im sure I performed hourly peep shows for the staff.

Even if you're cold natured, I have to believe you will be warm with all the pain meds they pump into you.

I suspect your recovery will be one for the books. You're going to do great.
 
My hospital offered a choice of items at meal time; they brought me a menu to choose from, but if I didn't like, they would fix anything I wanted. Some of it was ok and some of it was terrible. Unlike some others, I never had a problem with my appetite. I was nauseous in recovery but once I was over that, I had no problems eating as long as the food was edible.
 
Thanks again everyone - so nice to have everyones experiences to go by!
 
Pay no attention to us Teresa..but do bring snacks just in case...
 
I have just read your whole thread as I am trying to learn as much as I can before my big day. You only have a few more days to go and it seems like you are good to go! I wish you all the best and look forward to following your "other side" adventures.

Good Luck!:dancy:
 
I just got out of the hospital yesterday. I was in Methodist hospital and had a private room, it felt and looked like a hotel, complete with desk, chair and mini sofa and a recliner built just for knee patients. I too was cold and they have an endless supply of blankets, I used 2. I also had an individual thermostat. I don't think you want too heavy a blanket, it puts pressure on the knee. As for the food, there was a set menu and it was like ordering room service. You had lots of choices and could order when you wanted. I didn't feel like eating much With all the Medication.
 
Thanks for the good wishes Vinny @jhcompliance and @Blendab1 and for the additional insight on hospitals @janmont - I will need to catch up with your thread, we'll be recovering together! I get my op time this afternoon - hoping for early - I've not met anything that kills my appetite yet, though it sounds like this surgery might be the thing to do it!
 
I remember they gave me a piece of toast after the surgery. They said I could have jam. I said I didn't really need the jam. They said "yes you will." If there can be such a thing as imitation bread that was it. Other food was not too bad, but the toast was not really edible.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom