TexasTee gets a new knee...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @janmont - PrincessTia has already filled you in on TEDs - not all surgeons use them and all that do seem to have their own "rules" about them. They are to prevent blood clots. Mine does and says 3 weeks. I ordered a pair that look like they are tattoos :) I'm going to make sure OS approves them before I get any others. Gotta have fun where you can!

Hi @Maggie94 - I have all the elements today to make a split pea and a thai butternut squash soup for the freezer - I've actually decided to back off my own cooking, I've had tons of offers from good friends to bring me food to save me from my hot pocket cooking husbands clutches :) Normally I'm the one that does that kind of thing for everyone else so it's hard to let them, actually, but I'm doing it! I've also been getting into yoga classes everyday of my 2 week vacation and I'm cycling a few times a week. Pain is not so good but everyone assures me that the muscles will be worth it so I'm going for it.

Going now, actually! Class in 30 minutes, ttyl
 
Good for you @TexasTee, the pain is worth it and the strong muscles will hold you in good stead for your recovery, keep it up as long as you can. I'm using my small peddle exerciser already, which I'm pleased about. I'd like to try my proper exercise bike, but we've had so many guests over Christmas that it was stored away and is a big difficult to get at. I will have a go as soon as I can. Xxx
 
congrats !!!!! on your surgery date . you are as prepared as anyone. Stay on top of your meds and you will be ok. you can never over ice and elevate. And absolutely do not allow a therapist to hurt you. you probably will overdo it but just be aware of it. to this day I still over do it and im 10 months post op. Best of luck ,Iceman
 
Thanks @Ellejay and @icep707! Less than a month to go - 4 weeks from tomorrow, I am beyond ready to get this done!!

Freezer is filled with several kinds of soup and that is all that will fit in there with my dogs food so I suppose I'm done with that. Will take the Christmas tree down in the next day or so and set up my nest for the next little while to get the dogs used to it and to make sure it's fully functional and I can get to everything I need/want. Yikes, I can make a job out of nothing! :heehee:
 
Hi @TexasTee ,
I have also been cooking and freezing soups and will set up my nest this weekend. All of a sudden, time is flying by very quickly!
best regards,
Karen
 
Hi Karen - I know, right? It's both forever away and right around the corner. I go for my CT scan tomorrow and possibly my medical clearance, if time allows. AND of course, since I've been off work for a week and going to yoga everyday my knee feels better than it has in months...too bad I can't live like that! I'll just wear some awesome shoes to dinner for NYE and will be back to recalling why I'm doing this :) Not to mention, I get to wear some bad butt shoes, at least one more time!! Not that I'm ready to give them up, mind you, merely a hiatus. I told my Army Sargent son to make sure his passport is in order...as soon as my knee is fully functional we're going on an adventure vacation! Para-sailing, surfing, rock climbing, swimming with sharks....hooya!
 
CAT scan was pretty much a non-event, it took only about 5 minutes! The pre-op med check was a whole other story - after waiting well over an hour I was finally called up, confirmed a stupid amount of details only to be told that my surgery wasn't scheduled. Um, what? I scheduled in AUGUST! Got a call from my OS office and they had not called in all of the schedule to the hospitial yet. So I will still be up on the 28th but will have to go back and do the med check later. Not ideal since I'm off now but won't be next week. Hopefully it gets resolved today and I can book it Friday while I'm still out.
 
Oh, I thought it was just our NHS that did things like that, I didn't realise it would happen when actual money (well, insurance policies) changed hands. Bad luck, I hope it gets sorted out soon, xxx
 
Oh @TexasTee I'm so sorry to read about your op. I remember you scheduling this it fit in with everything. I hope that you get everything sorted out. They are unbelievable. Like Ellejay said we thought it was only our NHS that did mess ups like that. Are you okay?

I hope you had a lovely Christmas and wish you a very Happy New Year xxxx

Love Ann x
 
Hi everyone - thanks all, yes, I'm positive I'll still have the surgery on the 26th, merely a bit inconvenienced by having to go to the hospital twice for the testing, not a big deal.

Got all of Christmas put away and working on the "nest" - all shaping up to be ready and waiting for me in 26 days, yikes that's just moving right along!! Can't be soon enough.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Bureaucracy is bureaucracy whether NHS or private insurance, hospitals etc. :umm:Glad you will still get your surgery date.
 
hey @TexasTee been missing your posts:unsure: How are you travelling? Still in prep mode? Are you working? I am retired so spend the day doing whatever. Today was my general Dr & the start of the barrage of tests - all good fun - sort of. Hope this finds you well - cheers Maggie x
 
Hi @Maggie94 - yes, back at work today, plan to work up to the Friday before my Monday surgery. Things are good - I think I have all the prep work done other than the last medical check. Need to get that scheduled this week then it’s just a matter of waiting for Knee-Day!
 
Hi @Maggie94 - yes, back at work today, plan to work up to the Friday before my Monday surgery. Things are good - I think I have all the prep work done other than the last medical check. Need to get that scheduled this week then it’s just a matter of waiting for Knee-Day!
It sounds like you are ready to go with all of the ducks lined up!
 
You're more than prepared! You'll do great! As for your surgeon not scheduling with the hospital yet; my surgeon was the same. They only scheduled with the hospital 2 weeks out. Although they know the dates that they are scheduled for surgery at hospital months in advance, they don't know what specific times, so that's why the last minute notices. Although I knew my surgery date, I wasn't told until the day before what my actual surgery time would be or what time to be at the hospital. Don't worry; your date is in the books, they just wait to coordinate with the hospital for whatever reason.

Sooooo, if I'm in the mood for soup anytime in the not to distant future, your house is the place to be? Make sure you have something crunchy to snack on as well. And something to have in your stomach for when you take your meds. And don't forget to ask for your anti-nausea pills! Oh, and er, stock up on poop fairy aids just in case.... Oh, and I found that bottled waters were MUCH easier to transport with a walker, crutches, whatever over a glass of water, so stock up on those too! K, end of my PSA announcement. For now, anyways... ;-)
 
Thanks Ellen - and yes, that's exactly what happened - the only reason it was annoying was that the PA told me I had to get the CT scan pronto and that if I wanted to do the med check at the same time I could, just call the number. The probably is they won't schedule the check without the surgeon having been scheduled. Ah well, she called me yesterday to tell me she had sent in the schedule so now I can do it when it's convenient. I'm going to try to do it Friday afternoon, will see if work schedule allows.

LOL - you are certainly welcome for soup, anytime! I did also stock up on protein powder for shakes (my husband is a champ at protein powder) as well as uber bars and kind bars, will grab some quinoa crackers for crunch! I think I need to get some saddle bags for the dogs to cart my stuff around!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024

Members online

Back
Top Bottom