TexasTee gets a new knee...

Status
Not open for further replies.
@TexasTee Wish I had a walk-in shower! That sounds great. Do you have grab bars in the shower as well? They are pretty much indispensable, especially early on in your recovery. (Actually, I think that ALL bathrooms should have grab bars. You don't have to be disabled or frail to slip and fall!)

You might want to ask your OS about what kind of anesthesia you'll get: spinal, epidural, general, etc. It helps to know what to expect.

If your hospital or clinic provides a class beforehand, that could help you with coming up with more good questions! :yes: The one I went to was 3 1/2 hours long, and included presentations by an ortho PA, a nurse manager from the orthopedic wing of the hospital, a PT, an OT, and a discharge nurse. You could also go visit the orthopedic section where you'll be staying and get familiar with it a little.

And congratulations on your marriage! :flwrysmile:
 
I asked him about return to work and he said 6 weeks was normal for a job like mine that’s mostly at a desk. After all the stories here I actually responded by asking him how quickly he went back to work after his knee replacement? he laughed and said, we’ll play it by ear.
Do you mean you have an OS who has actually had his own TKA?! :flabber: Wow, that makes him even more of a treasure! :yay:
 
Hi @PrincessTia - I don't have bars in the shower but there is a bench, I was planning on sitting rather than trying the conventional way! Thanks for the additional question - my book says that's I will review that with the anesthesia team before the surgery but that does seem fairly late. Based on everything thing I've read I plan to avoid the general - I'm not trying to watch or anything but I don't think I'd freak out if I woke up and it seems like recovery is easier for some without it. Just a personal choice.

We do have a class but I'm not sure when - again, the book says that my actual doc does it once a month so I suppose I'll have it in January. And no - he hasn't had one, that was me being funny...since he hasn't had one, he can't really know when I'll be feeling better. I will say though, as I reread his book, he actually has answered more of my questions than I thought. On pain meds he says "you will be discharged with multiple meds, you should not be concerned about reducing the amount of pain meds in the early post op period, it's more important to keep your pain controlled." Good man!
 
Hi @Minnie's knees - thanks! I hope to not use a walker as I'm a stubborn old goat and a newly wed...I have a light weight string back pack for toting things, tap light is a great idea!
:) I thought I'd be self conscious about using a *walker* for goodness sake at my age. But then I decided--hey, if it lets me move around and helps me walk, who cares? And really, no one paid me any attention. Lots of people out and about, young and old, with walkers, canes & crutches.
 
I had a pre-op meeting with the anesthesia dept. a few weeks ahead--mostly the nurse to do a thorough medical history & to get things explained (with about 5 minutes with one of the docs to look at my spine). What they told me is they prefer spinal b/c then you don't need a breathing tube. But that if for some reason they had trouble with the spinal they would use general.
 
With both of my knees now I only used the walker for slightly more than two weeks. Each time at the end of my first outpatient PT session I was told I could stop using it. The only times outside the house that I used the walker were when coming home from the hospital, going to my 2 week checkup and going to and coming home from that first outpatient PT session. Both times I went from the walker to a cane and only used that inside the house when the knee was particularly sore or stiff. Tomorrow, Monday, will be 5 weeks and I am ready to start swinging a golf club (my PT says it can't do any harm to the knee) though actually going to the course and chipping, putting and hitting balls is several weeks away, much less when I think I'll be ready to actually "play" golf.

As for showers, I would highly recommend sitting using a bench or shower chair for the first few weeks. It took me almost 4 weeks to be able to stand long enough to shower without having to sit down due to fatigue. This surgery really sucks the energy out of you those first several weeks.
 
As for showers, I would highly recommend sitting using a bench or shower chair for the first few weeks. It took me almost 4 weeks to be able to stand long enough to shower without having to sit down due to fatigue. This surgery really sucks the energy out of you those first several weeks.
I would sit in the shower and let the hot water massage the quads---it was a great way to loosen them up.

I also agree that standing in the shower is tough to do in the early days of recovery---you will feel great in the shower, but you will also be wiped out---use the bench.
 
Hi @PrincessTia - I don't have bars in the shower but there is a bench, I was planning on sitting rather than trying the conventional way!
I was thinking about the process of walking in and getting to the bench and then sitting down, before the water's even turned on. I was amazed at how every little movement I made right after surgery needed support! And how LONG even the simplest things can take! :holysheep:

You've done lots of homework—and you're here :) —you'll do fine!
 
I have a walk-in shower, and I also have a detachable nozzle, so I would go in, sit down, turn on the water, and then direct the water to my quads and slowly stretch them. it felt great---I envy you folks that can take showers immediately--I had to wait almost five weeks!
 
I found you! :) Just wanted to say good luck, and your questions are all valid! Hope the OS takes his time to review everything and makes you feel at ease.

As far as the walker goes...please don't try to rush onto crutches. You will be home for a bit anyway...your hubby will want you to be safe and stable - he won't care what you look like! haha. When you're on the pain meds, it's tough to balance sometimes. I only used the walker for maybe 5 days this time...but I definitely couldn't have been on crutches during that time! My balance just wasn't there (b/c of pain meds...not the knee), and sometimes I was so tired, it was just much easier. I had a little pink bag I bought from Amazon that velcro'd onto the walker, and then onto the crutches. Just held a water bottle and my cell phone - when I'd go from room to room.

Good luck, and certainly feel free to reach out with any questions. I'm sure you'll do great :)
 
Hi @kaydubs - thanks for your advice...argh, I know you are all right about the walker...particularly when we're going to try to let the dogs stay home with me and one of them might just happen to be 175lbs... It does say in the doc's book that they will send you home with a walker and toilet riser, etc. I'll work on being open minded about it and I know my husband will like a walker much better than a wife on the floor!
 
I re-read the surgery prep book again last night and I think I have a winner...assuming he follows what it says in the book. I will see him personally in the hospital every day before I am dismissed, first doc visit at 3 weeks, second at 6 weeks, then three months, six months and one year. That seems like a lot more checking in that most do? It says he likes to make sure everything is progressing correctly since it's easier to fix any issues sooner rather than later.

One bit of hmmm - it says he likes to see patients at 115-120/0 by 6 weeks. I certainly would LIKE to see that too so on one had I'm not opposed but I hope he's not a nut about how he trys to get you there. Time will tell but I'm ready to advocate for myself so it won't become an issue.
 
Hi TexasTee! You're so much like me... a natural researcher, eh? :)

I have a walk-in shower, too - got myself a little stool and bought a hand-held shower-head with an extra-long hose. Also bought myself a little shower caddy like I used to have in college when we had to haul our stuff to the shower every day. That way, I have it all in one spot on the floor next to me, but nothing underfoot. Also bought a non-slip mat. Managed to get to Target and bought 3 pillows ($4 a piece!) - the pillow cases were more expensive! :heehee:

If you're at all nervous, I recommend some relaxation/guided imagery/meditation CDs. I'm a natural worrier, and they've helped me tremendously. Every time I feel the panic well up, I do a meditation (anywhere from 7-30 minutes) and it calms me right now.
 
LOL @lunula - you are correct - I research everything and as a matter of fact I do have "find meditation cd's" on my list of things to do! I have the name of one that's specifically for sleep so will order that but if you have a favorite, please share the name!

Good idea on the shower caddy - you are also correct that I haven't had one since my day in the dorm but that makes great sense!
 
@TexasTee My OS schedules at 2 weeks, 6 weeks, 3 months, 6 months, 1 year. Thursday will be my 6 week, basically, though 6 weeks is actually next Monday. Then 3 months out would be in March and I already have an appointment with him for March 17, the one year ankneeversary of my right knee.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
One bit of hmmm - it says he likes to see patients at 115-120/0 by 6 weeks. I certainly would LIKE to see that too so on one had I'm not opposed but I hope he's not a nut about how he trys to get you there. Time will tell but I'm ready to advocate for myself so it won't become an issue.

Wow! I've never seen that in writing. I would think surgeons would have goals based on each patient's history, health, etc. Regardless, I'm glad you know to advocate for yourself. I speak from experience that nothing good comes from pushing too hard, too fast (my prior surgery). I'm not against reminding you of that again later ;)



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Well look at you with your own thread! You're official now! ;-)

Funny that your OS put in writing his ROM expectations. I left the hospital at 75, got up to 100 within a week (I started outpatient PT on day 4), then fell back to 80. Took me a couple of weeks to get back to 90 where I then 'got stuck' for several weeks. I was absolutely on the slow end of recovery (used my walker for 3 weeks, cane/crutches for another 6 and was on heavy duty pain meds for 3 months) but I eventually got (and kept) great ROM of about 135-140. If my surgeon has set strict deadlines, I would have missed them all.

Yey for a walk in shower! I would suggest, however, that you get some temporary decals or one of those sticky bath mat thingies to put on the floor of the shower (also a non slip rubber backed bath mat for when you're done). Although it may not seem slippery to you now, I was VERY unsteady and paranoid about slipping, so would suggest taking as many precautions as possible. Remember the ugly colored little flower non-slip decals you had in the tub as a kid (or at least I did)? Those worked great and you can peel them up when you no longer need them.

You'll do great! You're prepared beyond belief and just now need to research seat belts in order to keep you from leaving your recliner too much during those 1st weeks. ;-)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom