TexasTee gets a new knee...

Status
Not open for further replies.
@DogLoverx3 I sort of remember a lot of catering going on in your life....
My ROM was 75 when I left the hospital and was up to 135 in a few weeks -- I increased it every few days on the CPM machine -- I found it meditative. Neither OS or PT measured the ROM until I asked the PT to at the last day of therapy. At check-ups they just eye-balled it to assess flexion and extension. The PT actually focused more on extension than flexion. I found the balance exercises a challenge as I have ear issues.
 
Hi Ellen - yes, since the countdown is finally really on, I started my own thread. Good to know about the shower, I would have said it's impossible to slip on what is in there but being safe rather than sorry makes sense, as long as those lovely flowers come back off, I shall start the search. Lowe's, I wonder?

I'm glad I have this site and know that while some would find those numbers easy - others would never make them in that time frame. Hopefully if I keep the seatbelt on the lazyboy, I will get there! But I'm not gonna sweat it.

Hi Chihuahuan - I hope I'm one that likes the CPM, my work friend loved hers and my doc is an advocate of them. I'll give it a shot and see where I fall. If nothing else, maybe it will help keep me in one spot!
 
Assistance request, please - did anyone get any meditation type music that they would endorse? I bought one for reasons I cannot recall and never listened to it. Have it playing now and have a remarkable urge to throw something at the player. I am not POSITIVE, of couse, but I doubt that would have been the intention of the meditation....:rotfl:
 
I loved the CPM-- just put something on the TV and relaxed. I iced afterwards as it's quite a workout for a repairing system. I watched lots of old PBS series and movies on ROKU --nothing that required any thought. I found no need to meditate so no music for me. I slept reasonably well. The fatigue and lack of appetite is quite surprising. It's amazing how exhausted you get from doing small things --like having a shower..... your body is using all it's resources to heal. You just have to go with the flow and do what your body says.
 
Wow @TexasTee

The time is flying by now. I think you are going to be the best prepared person to have this op done. You've researched, asked questions and kept yourself fit. I'm certain this is what helped @Ellejay with her wonderful recovery.

It's great to see you've started your own thread. So keep up the good work we will all be behind you supporting you through your recovery x

Love Nana moon 27 x
 
@TexasTee I remember @lunula had some meditation-type CDs she liked; maybe she'll post something for you when she's able...

And in another thread, @supjam mentioned "Preparing for Surgery meditation by Peggy Huddleston and another one I found in amazon audible by Maggie Staiger. I listened to these whenever I felt anxious, woke up with bad dreams & even after surgery. Now I listen to Maggie Staiger healing from surgery."
 
Hi @Nana moon 27 and @treypops - yes indeed, it's booking right along, will be very happy to get to the recovery side!

Hi @PrincessTia - thanks a ton! I do recall lunula mentioning she had one, thanks for the other names, will check them out.
 
@TexasTee I just listened to Classical Music on Pandora. I found that very soothing. I needed it more with the right knee than I did with the left one this time.
 
That's a great thought @Phil75070 - positive, uplifting and free :-)

So today is a no good knee day - up a good chunk of the night with the stabbing starburst sort of pain that doesn't respond to anything you do, fun - today is alternating the knife stabbing pain with the oh so fun your leg feels like its separating from itself with not EVERY step just lots of random ones so you aren't expecting it. Not mere random whining on my part (thought there is some of that!), I think it's good to recall just why we're doing this so when we're lamenting later, we can see exactly what it was like before. It sucks!
 
@TexasTee I'm so sorry to read you're in pain. It's horrible when it disturbs your comfort and rest.

My non TKR that feels like it's completely gone is responding really well to heat. I'm lying here now with it on the knee, the aches are being soothed and the meds are kicking in x

I'm wondering if you've tried heat. I'm using a cloth wrap that's filled with wheat. You microwave it for minute and a half it's lovely xxx

Love Nana moon 27 xxx
 
Hi Ann - no worries, I'm only in pain as I was too silly to just do the op in August.

Yes, thanks - I do use heat when it's soft tissue, feels great on my tight IT band and hip issues and the quad - I don't think it's recommended for directly on the joint, it can increase swelling.
 
totally get the "oh so fun your leg feels like its separating from itself" really weird feeling - it is truely weird. I get it on my worst knee/leg the left. darn that you had a rough night - that is the pits because you are tired for the whole next day:sad: Hope you get a nap in at some stage - Maggie x
 
Hi @TexasTee, I'm just doing the rounds, popping into friends to wish you a very :merryx:.
Not too long before your knee journey starts, I will be here for you when that happens. In the meantime thank you for your support and encouragement. Have a restful and hopefully pain free break keep up the exercises, it's definitely worth it. Lyn xxx
 
Had my OS consult today and was really happy with his responses and his demenor, he was super patient with all of my questions and it seems clear that while he has hopes and goals for his patients ROM/flex - there are no threats of MUAs or "windows" where I won't have the ability to increase so that is very good. He still believes I'm a good candidate for a partial and says he's quite picky about who he'll select for it, he also said that though he's only done them for 6 years, he has not had anyone come back in yet to have to revise to a total so he must select well. He averages 400 surgeries a year and has a less than 1% infection rate and virtually all of those he can predict based on other medical conditions that person already has.

CT scan is next week and I'm hoping to coordinate pre-op testing at the same time so I'll be good to go. 5 weeks from today, I'll be the owner of a new or partially new knee!

Hi Lyn @Ellejay - we must have been posting at the same time! Merry Christmas to you!!!
 
Hi @TexasTee

I'm so pleased you got in okay with your consultant. I can't believe how quick your ops coming around!!! You'll be just fine I'm sure of that x x his results are excellent and you must have been well relived when there was no suggestion of MUA or the mythical window of opportunity. Woohoo! He sounds lovely and sensible. He will also be well trained in the latest techniques too!

Have a fabulous Christmas. I'm staying up late wrapping the last of the presents. I need a day to potter round the house tomorrow.

I can't wait to see what you have nice for Christmas x x x take care now x x x

Love Nana moon 27 xox
 
I went to a mastectomy shop and got some JOBST stockings. I was told (I'm a nurse and these are the biggest things people forgo because TEDS are uncomfortable) to wear them for 5 weeks. I got the 15-20 mm of pressure, TEDS are 18, in a couple different fabrics and I love them!! I found out while there my insurance pays for 12 pair a year. They make them in fun colors and prints!


LTKR November 20, 2014
RTKR sometime in 2015
What are teds?
 
Hi ya TexasTee...yes we are on the homeward stretch for our new knees...one calendar month from today for me. Can't wait. How are your preparations at home going? I cooked a fabulous casserole yesterday and was a bit miffed that I divided it up and put serves in the freezer. I'm sure I'll enjoy it when its needed though.
How was your Christmas? I had a lovely day with my son and his family over for brunch the to friends for a terrific late lunch into diner feast.
I'm getting a tired finger typing this on my tablet in bed. Catch up again soon. Maggie x
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom