PKR TexasTee finally has a new knee!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm doing great. I know how hard it is to sit still. I've overdone it a time or two..
You'll get yoursrlf onto a routine. I'm afraid I'll be bored to death after the sisters leave tomorrow!
 
Your home oh my.do.we.have to hide you as you must have broken out. Take it slow and easy Tex

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Morning all! On the good news side that numbing agent my OS used on my knee is the bomb...worked like a charm...for about 48 hours. OH well, hey, it was a great 48!
I think I have what is my normal recovery knee and it's not so bad, just not the 1-3 pain levels I had kinda hoped might be my reality. I was so nauseous last night that for my 8pm dose of Perc I only took 1 - that was simply too early. It was in no way meant to try to ween off anything, just wanted to go to sleep and it's a bizarre heartburn combined with nausea that is in no way restful but turns out...uncontrolled pain isn't so restful either! Back on track at midnight and slept from 12-4 and even got in a few more hours after the next round. Feeling more rested today even if the knee is a lot more swollen and painful today. Nothing uncommon, just more than what I've had.
So - toast in, coffee is delicious - my poor husband has been running like a train but I'm ensconced in my leather cocoon and I don't see myself budging until my bladder insists.
It's going to be a huge adjustment to ask my husband to do so much for me all the time - I tried what seemed like a few simple things to do myself this AM so he could sleep in but it was simply not possible. This is a humbling experience, to be sure.
Thanks for stopping by Karen, Clipless and Legin! So nice to have somewhere to share where you can just spew and everyone understands. My friends are fantastic but they simply have never done something like this and there really is only so much your empathy can match towards this reality.
 
You're doing SO great! Along with the pain meds normally comes nausea. I had to ask the dr for something to help b/c I just couldn't eat at all. Definitely ask for something if the nausea sticks around! Those are magic pills :)

I know it's really tough to ask for help, but definitely do it! They understand more than we think they will! I'm 5 months out and most days totally fine...but I still milk it with my teenagers sometimes for help! haha
 
Blocks are wonderful things, yessirree! :) Too bad it had to go away, but in a way knowing where you really are is better for healing. You might see if your doctor will mind if you have Pepcid or something like that. It helps with that burning sensation with drugs. I take it morning and evening while on narcotics and it helps a lot.

I have a lot of trouble asking my husband and friend for help, too--I'm the one who does things! Takes care of others! Makes stuff happen! And now…well, nope. The world is going on its merry way without me and it's strange and humbling, as you say. I'm ensconced in my recliner for the day now, cat at my side, backpack at my side. I can get up and move when I need to, but mostly, I try to stay put--the faster we heal, the faster we get back to all the fun stuff!

Have a good day….resting!
 
Thanks @kaydubs - thankfully the nausea started at the hospital so I did get a script for zofran added - it does help and so does taking it with the right food, rice crackers, as it turns out, do not agree with me so adding them on was a mistake! I've switched to almond crackers and had much less of a problem.
 
Hi @TexasTee

Teresa, you are doing so fantastically well. I'm glad to read the exercise helped you. I was bowled over when you said about leg raises in recovery. It was a good week before I could even lift mine a couple of inches. I'm also glad you've plenty of support. This us what will keep you going.

You're awesome x x x

Love Ann xxx
 
Well hello Teresa!
Just been having a catch up with what you have been doing as I have been otherwise engaged for the last day or so. Splendid news! You must be the poster girl for PKR. I have never known anyone (other than on here) that has had a partial so I had to look it up to find out what you had done.
Gave me a good laugh about the bedside commode, and Ellen's talk of prunes gave me a horrid flashback of the warm prune juice they kept pumping down me. I am with you about having a wide awake catheter fitted, but confess to a love affair with mine that was fitted during the GA.
Interesting about your leg lift, as at one of my early knee surgeries about 25 years ago (eek!), a seasoned knee op fellow patient told me the trick when you have an arthroscopy or similar (didn't specify TKR as at my tender age it was too far on the horizon to envisage). Try and do a leg lift while you are in recovery. Bit of mind over matter, ie if you have done it once .....di dah di dah. I had huge problems doing a leg lift with my first knee op that removed the bone wedged in my knee cap - took me days to master it even though I was in my 20's and really fit and healthy. I have followed his advice ever since (even surreptitiously with the TKR) and it works. I have had absolutely zero probs with leg lifts since.

BTW - it is exactly a year today since my TKR. This time last year I was in recovery. I can truly say it is one of the best things I have done, not only for me, but also family. I don't even think of it as being a spare part, and in the last week or two I have got the feeling back near the incision. At last satisfaction when I want a good scratch! I am sure that you will be equally delighted in the improvement to so many things and your quality of life.

So, wishing you much painfree, lots of easy movement and good snoozing! Will catch up soon.

Love Chris XXX
 
It's going to be a huge adjustment to ask my husband to do so much for me all the time - I tried what seemed like a few simple things to do myself this AM so he could sleep in but it was simply not possible. This is a humbling experience, to be sure.

Boy, it sure is a humbling experience. You hit the nail on the head. It is so hard on those who care for us during this lengthy recovery. My poor husband has been through so much with me already.
 
Sounds like you are doing great. Doesn't it feel good to go home?
 
@Legin - I'm sure you are right - my husband is happy to do anything he can to help - it's up to me (and motown girl!) to get used to it!
Thanks Ann!
Hi Chris - a year today - very cool! Interesting on the leg lift - I can completely see that, it was super simple then but since there have been times when I had to remind myself that I can do it now since I did it then! I hope I can follow your lead on the pain meds, as well - these are simply driving me bonkers, I take them, have a few lucid minutes then am either nauseous or take the zofran and go to sleep until the next dose!
 
O always did and do everything wife went nuts when a week after surgery i had made supper and stripped beds.
 
Ha - crime! I made myself and the dogs breakfast but was unable to carry their dishes...I thought I had a plan but it turns out that way the drugs talking!
 
I'm afraid we just have to accept all the support very gratefully, and be thankful that we have it. The trouble is I think I've rather got used to it - I've found it much easier to be waited on the second time round :heehee:. I am now 7 weeks out and I'm still getting breakfast in bed each day. I am just beginning to take over lunch and dinner, but I don't clear up and I haven't yet used the vacuum or done any laundry...spoilt...me?
 
So even with the zofran I'm not able to keep down the 2 percocet - I had it in my system for over an hour so I surely absorbed much of the last dose. I need to decide if I should try one perc with extra tylenol or just make the step down to tramadol - any one have experience with this?
 
Well boo on the barfing up the pain meds (some people would be VERY upset at that thought). I would call your OS or PC tomorrow and see what else is an option. Just my opinion, but Tramadol didn't cut it for me so early on. I think that maybe Vicodin is stronger than Tramadol? Maybe? How do you do on those? Do you have anything more substantial than a couple almond crackers in your tummy when you take them? I don't know, just throwing out thoughts. I hated the nausea, but I hated the pain more :-(
 
Hi @TexasTee

@DogLoverx3 is absolutely right. You do need something more substantial to counteract the nauseous effect of strong meds. The crackers are not enough. I have to have toast or a decent bowl of cereal to deal with that. Anything less and the consequences are awful, as you know. I had anti sickness tablets at first but I hated them. xxx

Love Nana moon 27 xxx
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom