Guest viewing is limited

PKR TexasTee finally has a new knee!

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, the OxyContin is in the codone, not the hyrocodone group. And I'll tell you, the first time, I was kind of stingy with drugs and trying to be cautious, but this time, I'm on the short schedule and it is making a big big difference. We are all kind of nervous about narcotics, but they were invented for THIS and they will do the heavy lifting while the body does the healing.
 
Oh, and on the gluten and the sugar--I was a vegetarian for years before knee #1 and came out craving red meat. :) So, you know, the body sometimes wants something for healing or balance that not usual. You can always go back to regimes later.
 
How interesting! I am generally a major meat eater and I don't think I've had any...just realized that. It could be as I'd be terrified to eat anything my husband might cook but he's great at takeout and that sounds vile. I need to up the protein though so will add in shakes in place of some of the crackers tomorrow.
 
@Legin - I didn't understand all of that but I can tell it was funny - might be me though, I am on much stronger drugs than you were. I'm so impressed with you

Legin had a hip replaced....not a knee. There is usually a big difference in the pain issues with knees as compared to hips so a person would be much more likely to get by with less pain medication for a THR. I'm glad you've found some things that work for you in terms of pain management. As you know, this is a top priority for having a good recovery. You're experimenting to find what works for you and that's great!!
 
Question for you...when you sleep 12 hours thru the night, are u waking up in bad pain? For the first week or so I set my alarm at night to keep on top of the meds, otherwise I was in major pain when I woke up!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
HI Teresa. Tried 2 read yrthread fron pg 6 where i left off.

No concentrarion..worfs blur.hope you r going well. Will try to read tomorrow. Maggie x

Maggie via Tapatalk
 
Sorry I wasn't errr making a.ooooo look at me and of course as usual failed to.make the distinction between.things. in hospital I noticed us hippies were more mobile than.knees heck I made a breakout attempt. Tee I am so glad you aren't accepting pain and are.looking for right combination to counter it. Again apologies if it appeared that I was a suoerman.thing stupidman yes. Good luck

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Hi @kaydubs - sorry, I wasn't clear - I'm taking myself off to bed for 10 - 12 hours but I have a great inner alarm...paired with a very loud and clear knee to remind me of meds, haven't missed a dose yet! I keep my pill box and some crackers next to the bed and just take care of business and go back to bed. If I ever start to sleep thru them I'll likely set real alarms, I've no interest in getting behind in pain meds!!!

Hi @Legin - no worries, I didn't think that at all!

Friend @Maggie94 - I'm doing well, no need to try to decipher anything past - a few issues with nausea and pain dosages but I think I have those worked out pretty well. Now it's just keeping myself in my chair to heal!

No repercussions for my brief sunny walk yesterday so I think I don't get the ODIC label just yet - I did manage to work out the kinks in my dog feeding plan this AM and might have over done it a tad but I really wanted to. My poor husband rushed home from work yesterday to feed the dogs at 8pm, helped me get all my stuff settled and was up working until after 2am so I wanted to let him sleep in. It was a bit early to walk while carrying something with no assistance but I lucked out and didn't hurt myself. Now the only issue is the ice machine, it's still in the bedroom and it needs filling so there is no point in my going back to bed so I'm on my recliner with an old school zip lock bag of ice. And all I have to say about that is i LOVE MY POLAR CARE.

Chilly gray day in Austin - yuck! Somehow it was easier to sit here in the sunshine...or maybe I'm starting to feel just enough better to cause me some trouble :)
 
I used frozen water bottles in my ice machine with my most recent TKR. I didn't have to change the water out as often. I still did it once a day, but the bottles needed to be changed out twice a day. I just left the same water in there for one of the changes because the water level didn't rise because of the sealed bottles. And if no one was home to help me, carrying four water bottles from the freezer to the machine was a lot easier than dumping the water out and refilling the water and ice by myself.
 
Thanks @New KNee in NE - I have tried the water bottles in the past but didn't think it got quite as cold? Still - great option for when I'm home solo all day, good reminder!
 
Completely amazed (and more than a little jealous) that you're doing so well! That's awesome! The being able to sleep for any length of time is wonderful for you! It makes everything else seem easier, I'm sure. I'm glad there were no delayed punishments from your little nature walk yesterday. ;-) Please do be careful though. Well done on the getting up off the floor as well! Sounds as if you're well on your way to earn your prodigy status with such a quick moving recovery! Please take it easy as much as you can though and be very cautious when moving around unaided (as in, keep within reach of a counter, piece of furniture, whatever so that you are able to catch yourself should your new knee buckle). Keep up the great work and I'll start researching bungee cords in which Bill can tie you to your recliner. :-)
 
My daughter tells me Austin has a beautiful new Trader Joe's! And Trader Joe's carries their own brand of protein powder, in chocolate and vanilla flavors, that is relatively inexpensive and really tasty. I've been making shakes for my athlete son: I throw ice, milk, water, two scoops of the chocolate powder, a banana and a tablespoon of peanut butter into the blender and he loves it, says it helps his muscles recover after a hard run or ride. He slightly prefers the taste of Muscle Milk's chocolate powder, however, in addition to having just too much protein (hard on the kidneys) a scary 2010 Consumer Reports test revealed that Muscle Milk contains heavy metals cadmium, arsenic, mercury, and lead!
 
I bought a case of protein drink at Costo called "Premier Protien". 30g protein and the chocolate is good.
I also use MetRx shakes that come dry in a pouch. Have to mix them in a blender. I get vanilla and add fruit. These taste like milk shakes! 38g protein.
 
Hi Ellen - Bill will appreciate that bungee cord research! LOL

Hi @Clipless - we do have TJs near me - I haven't tried their protein powder but shakes are a good idea, so far sweet hasn't been too appealing but then, neither has anything else! I may as well try it. Thanks for stopping by!
 
Teresa and @kaw205 I don't know if you have ever heard of "Ideal Protein" it is a diet plan that helped me drop 50 lbs..not that you need to lose weight but their shakes are 20 gram protein and ZERO sugar...think they use a little erithritol or something like that not real sweet..

Vinny
 
Hi all and hats off to anyone who managed with just tramadol and tylenol! I was ill again and couldn't manage more than half a banana so tried the tylenol and 100mg of tramadol - it was a very rough 4 hours.
I've been on the tram/tylenol regime and things have been good until I started to taper off. Emotions were wild early on and sleep has been challenging:
[Bonesmart.org] TexasTee finally has a new knee!


Tramadol is a great drug though, I don't want to discourage anyone. Just be aware of the side effects of an abrupt withdrawal.

Got any Fitbit stats for us @TexasTee?
 
Hi Vinny - thanks - I have Jay Robb egg white protein - it sounds very similar to yours.

I hear you Diana! I'm trying to keep my diet reasonably like it was in the past but it's not really cooperating - I'm guessing the easy energy of carbs is the allure right now.
 
Hi Josh - I do but I've never tried to share the graph before - is it from the website? I usually just look at it on my phone - last night was 9h 16m asleep - 13x awake and 27 minutes restless....
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom