PKR TexasTee finally has a new knee!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks E - as is the rule in all things, just when I ask you to post that, I am finally able to log onto the hospital network, hope it lasts!

Day zero report - got here easily on time, thankfully Bill was able to stay with me in the preop room, they got the IV in and only blew the vein once - that was a big improvement over last time! Met with all the pros and signed off on a bunch of stuff and they gave me Oxy, Celebrix and tylenol about an hour before, IV antibiotics during, I was awake and very aware during the spinal and the prep - there were like 10 people in there! During the placing of the tourniquet - my doc said I would not remember that part, clearly, that's not the case! I was pretty doped but alert a time or two - didn't bother me at all and the nurse noticed and I was back in the juice quick.

Got back to the recovery and could immediately wiggle my toes - stayed there an hour to check pain levels and they did give me the dilauted (sp?) and some ice and I was sent up to my room. Very happy to see my husband - got settled in, talked to OT and the nurses and CNAs - decided to order food and the rest I think I already covered.

Just managed to use the bedside commode - my deadline was 5 and I was heading for a cath - No thanks, not while awake! And that woke up the pain so took 2 percoset and got another IV dose of antibiotics - had some crackers and I'm sorted!
 
WTG Teresa, I am happy to hear that you were able to get the partial that you wanted. Sorry about the cruddy wifi but at least it helps you to rest. Hope you have an uneventful night and look forward to your new posts.

Due to a blizzard up here I may lose power so just know you will be in my thoughts!
 
:shocked:You were awake?!? No general? Yikes! I would never be able to do that! Boo, sorry the pain hit, but I feared it would once you put some weight on it. Keep on top of your pain meds and take it easy. WTG on making it just under the wire to used the bedside commode. Uhm, not to sound like a complete moron, but what is that? I had to walk to the bathroom in my room. Only about 15 steps (or hobbles as the case was), but seemed like a mile. I'm so glad you're on the other side and doing well (and that Bill hasn't passed out yet either).
 
Thanks @Blendab1 - be careful with that crazy NE weather!!

Ellen - I spoke with the Anesthetist prior and both he and my doc highly prefer to skip the general - he promised that he'd keep me so sedated I'd probably sleep but even if I was aware, I'd be in no way AWARE. Worked great!

Bedside deal looks a lot like a big walker with a bucket and toilet seat in the middle - I just stand up and turn and sit down, no walking until the PT eval. Highly preferred than trying to use a bedpan!! Helps a ton that my quad is awake so I can maneuver - avoiding the drain and the IV is the biggest hassle.
 
My husband was totally green @skiglrl! It was all just anecdotal but it seemed to me that there was a trend of people doing better in the first week or so who did not do the general.

Just had the ice changed and the little lingering pain I had is gone, ice is awesome and I love, love. love the polar care. The foot squeezey deal is pretty cool, too.
 
Well done @TexasTee

I'm so pleased your operation has been a success, well done you. Mind you, you had to be the most prepared, organised and ready to go get TKR woman I've ever known. I'm glad you got to use the commode. You were very lucky there. Ellen's advice about staying on top of your meds is exactly right. Once you let the meds wear out too much it's harder to get back on top of it. Also don't be scared to ask for them if they don't come on time. I bet your husbands relieved it's all done and dusted now x

Like you I had the spinal for for my original TKR and the. Again at the end of September for my revision which I'm pleased to report is suddenly brilliant. I see the OS tomorrow about the left one as well x

Once again well done Teresa. Please sleep well x x

Love Nana moon 27 xxx
 
You're most welcome Teresa. I will cross everything and hope you do get some sleep xxx

Love Ann xxx
 
Hi Teresa,
Sounds like you are off to a great start and your hospital experience sounds alot like mine, although it is pretty much a blur to me now, LOL I had forgotten about the bedside commode. Could only go the real bathroom with a PT present.
Well, hope you have a good nights sleep.
Karen
 
thanks @DogLoverx3 Ellen you could have a whole new career as a Smartie go between - i think WIFIs in most hospitals leave something to be desired. So glad that Teresa is as chirpy as she is - hugs all round - Maggie
 
Glad to see you are up and around Teresa and spinal with sedation is the way to go.....nice to have it over right?

Vinny
 
Day 1! Sleep was sketchy at best but really owed nothing to pain - have kept the meds on schedule but will be happy to go home so I can stop fibbing about it. For the most part pain has stayed at 3 or under but it does flash to 5, um, sometimes when I stand. Silly rule, just give me the meds!

IV and drain were removed this AM. Had my first official walk down the hall and back and been cleared by OH to start PT, he is due here within the hour. After that I'm to be allowed to shower, thank goodness! They had me slather up with these additional antibacterial clothes before surgery and let it dry on me - not to mention having lord knows what done to me in surgery and sleeping in a room that doesn't get cooler than 72 - what the heck? I was overly warm already from the meds but these are first world problems indeed! Not to put too fine a point on it but I'm guessing I stink!

One thing I find most welcome but odd - I guess because I had a partial? But I have no odd sense that it's not my knee, totally feels the same as recovering from the meniscus repair. Hope it stays that way! Very little swelling, I took a pic when they removed the drain and it looks about normal sizeish. I had the polar care unit on since I left the operating room, ice rules all!
 
You go girl. You're doing great! How long will you be in the hospital?
So glad your pain is being controlled.
Sending (((HUGS)))
Karen
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom