PKR TexasTee finally has a new knee!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tramadol with Celebrex and Tylenol should do the job . Just be sure to stay on schedule. You might go bonkers trying to sleep , so I just stayed up all night with my DVR and bonesmart. Elusive sleep was by far the most daunting part of my recovery. You are doing great! Avoid ODIC. Proper elevation and iceing should be done all day and night. You are young and in shape with minimal body fat , I believe a recipe for a healthy and speedy recovery. Allow yourself to rest and accept help from others atleast for the first 2 weeks. Prunes will be your friends till you are off the heavy stuff. Congrats on the new knee. Iceman
 
thanks guys - perhaps its just that I've not taken it with enough food, I will try the anti-nausea stuff earlier and more food. If that doesn't work will switch to the tylenol/tramadol.
 
I think you'll find that it's a bit too soon for Tramadol and you will need something more for your pain. But it doesn't hurt to try.

You may find it better to eat something a little more "gooey" than a dry rice cake or cereal bar. Have hubby pick up some brownies, carrot cake, or banana bread from the store (homemade is better, but don't know if you have a friend who would cooperate). Maybe hubby could buy a box mix and make it. This is one time where it's good to eat the "bad" stuff....it helps with the pills. I kept a tupperwear box of small brownie bites by the bed for my medication doses.
 
Hi Teresa, sorry it's not so good at the moment.
I was packed off home both times with my blood thinner pills plus a pack of Tramadol - that was it! I wasn't offered anything stronger, but honestly didn't need it. I used Josephine's chart for combining Tramadol with Tylenol and it worked for me. I arranged beforehand with my GP to set up a prescription for more Tramadol and I was taking it (with Tylenol) for six weeks, reducing the dose as necessary. I wanted to drive, so I then took co- codamol at bed time for a few days, now I just take 2 Tylenol each morning and another two at bedtime, and I ice/ elevate whenever I sit down and certainly all evening.You could always try the Tramadol / Tylenol, it might work for you.
Good luck xxx
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Teresa! So glad to see that you are home but being nauseous sucks! I cannot handle Percs for the same reason so I have to make sure to let my OS know so they can prescribe something more tummy friendly. I will mojo for you to find a way to schedule the meds to help keep your pain levels down.

Have a fabulous day :)
 
I agree with Jamie---I would eat something a little more with substance---while I would not make a regular diet of it when I was through with recovery, I did eat some of the cinnamon rolls that my wife purchased for me when I took my pills---you know what Julie Andrews said in Mary Poppins---"just a spoonful of sugar..."? Well, it was more than that, but the pastries seemed to help me with the pain meds.
 
Hi Teresa ....sorry to hear about the problem with nausea that is a potential side effect of any anesthesia....I did not see you mention ice are you icing regularly? That is a a huge help for pain and swelling which I am sure you know......hope you feel better soon..

Vinny
 
Hi all and hats off to anyone who managed with just tramadol and tylenol! I was ill again and couldn't manage more than half a banana so tried the tylenol and 100mg of tramadol - it was a very rough 4 hours. However by the end I didn't feel nauseous anymore so I abandoned my 3 years of being gluten free and had a ton of saltines...no nutritional value whatever but they did keep the perc's onboard and I was able to sleep finally so that was all that mattered then. Will keep a heavy dose of crackers but add in some of the soup I made pre-op to get some actual nutrition in there!
YES on the ice - it's a polar cube so it's on 24/7 - the only time I am not using it is if I'm up to use the restroom. There was a moment yesterday when I wondered if it were almost too much, I think I'm going to build in a few 30 minute breaks here and there. I also really need to start to make some efforts to do some minimal PT...I really haven't done anything other than try to get my knee to 90 when sitting at the table or in the restroom - it's slightly less bendable than at the hospital but it's way more swollen so Im not too worried about that part. Extension comes and goes.
 
Managed my first full shower - felt great!! Was able to bend the knee...gently, just a bit further than it does on it's own and did some straightening exercises - by the time I was dry I was shaking tired but felt accomplished! Had a 2 hour nap and some soup and crackers and just took my meds - went down to 1.5 perc's - it says 1-2 so I took some license. I know that 1 isn't quite enough but am hoping that this will be a little less loopy inducing and I might be able to read a book or something. A girl can dream!
 
Yey for a shower! And a nap! And saltines! I seriously lived on saltines and whole wheat spaghetti with meat sauce for over a week thanks to the nausea. It's all I could manage. I'd just heat up a few bites at a time. To mix it up a bit, I'd switch to oyster crackers instead of saltines sometimes. I know, I'm a wild woman! ;-) I've got fingers crossed that the 1.5 percs worked, but please go back up to 2 if they don't. If you have to wait until next week to start your book, then so be it. It's not going anywhere. Keep up the great work!
 
Thanks Ellen - I think the meds are going to be ok - I'm do again in another hour and pain is only a 2-3...just did my little walk in the sunshine for which you have already chastised me so if it does ok thru that then I think I'm ok with lesser...I was considering stretching out the time but that seems unnecessary so I'll keep it at 4 hours. I'll take the higher level before bed though.
 
I managed with tramedol and paracetamol. Granted that last hour before mext dose was errrrrr fretful. Well done Tee fortitide wins. -dictionaries are hard to swallow and well what goes in nooooo
 
You're doing great! It's a guessing game in the beginning until you get the dosage/routine that works for you. Certainly don't try to cut back or stretch out times within the first week! Sleep all you can -your body needs it. Any knee surgery is a trauma to the body (I've had the partial and the total and the healing was the same!) I'm glad you increased your food intake too. Definitely better on your tummy!

Again, I'm really glad you're doing so well and listening to your body


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi Teresa,
Have you tried ginger for the nausea? You can slice up fresh ginger and make a tea or chew on candied ginger or drink ginger ale.
I've been blessed with no nausea and good sleep.
I tried switching from oxy to tramadol the other day and it didn't work at all. I'm back on 2 oxy every 4 hours and maybe try to cut back a little next week.
Well, take care. You're doing great for only day 3!
Karen
 
Sorry you're having so much trouble with the meds. I would also suggest eating more when you're going to take them--at first all I could tolerate was yoplait yogurt or a small, thin protein shake. Experiment to see what you can tolerate.

I can't take Tramadol--it gives me headaches--and I didn't find the pain relief to be enough. I think I saw somewhere that you can't tolerate Vicodin, but a pharmacist told me they have lots of different meds, so ask if you can try something else if eating with Percoset doesn't help. FYI, Getting too little pain meds will aslo make your stomach upset. Vicious circle!

FWIW, I'm on 10 mg OxyContin every 12 hours, with 5 mgs oxycodone + 500 mgs Tylenol every 3-4 hours. If the pain gets out of control, I take 10 mgs oxycodone instead of five. Last time, the oxy drugs started to give me panic attacks and they dropped me to vicodin at about three weeks and that did the trick. (That was when I called a pharmacist to ask about the oxy & he said there are many pain killers to try).

Hope you find a balance soon. Hugs!
Barbara
 
Thanks @kaydubs - I'm all about the sleep -I'm not sure it's possible to sleep anymore - I've been going to bed with no electronics between 8-9 and not getting up until 8 the next day and naps in the middle! I'm just trying to get the meds down to the point the nausea is under control. 1.5 seems to work for now so I'll leave it there - I found out I don't start real PT until next Friday so I'm going to do my best to be as healed up as possible!
Hi Karen - I'm glad you aren't having issues with nausea - yes, I've been doing both ginger tea and ginger ale - they definitely help. I don't normally have sugar but will add in anything that helps so will ask for that the next time my husband goes out.
@Legin - I didn't understand all of that but I can tell it was funny - might be me though, I am on much stronger drugs than you were. I'm so impressed with you and Lyn - I could handle the pain but I would never have slept thru it...I would have ditched them completely in favor of Chardonnay if that were my only option!

Hi Josh - @RedRider - thanks for stopping by! I am so glad to be on the healing side of this equation!
 
Simul-post! Hi @Awriterafoot - I wish I had a time release option but I think that's usually a vicodin relative, right? I'm doing well 7.5 I guess of Oxy every 4 ish hours - I think...as long as I"m not being dumber than I have to be...that I'll be able to extend that time out in a few days. I am trying to track the pain levels and it's usually not yet a 4 when I get to 4 hours but I've decided to give myself a bit of a break and do one week fully on short schedule. The original script will run out this weekend but I called today and they said I can get a new one tomorrow - will be interesting to see if it's a full week or not!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom