Guest viewing is limited

PKR TexasTee finally has a new knee!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@TexasTee Funny you should say that about the knee feeling as if it belongs to you. I feel exactly the same about my PKR; it is my knee and feels like my old one only no pain! Amazing! You are right about the ice. Keep on doing it when you get home. I iced and iced and iced some more and that and the rest and elevation were what worked for me. Go easy with the PT. I did nothing but heel slides and quad extension for over a month and I have a ROM of 145 and my knee gets completely flat. Been lucky to find this site with all the good advice.
Best wishes
 
The smell of success

Legin THR Sep 14

@Legin you crack me up!!!

@TexasTee I am glad to hear you are doing fantastic. I hope that you will be discharged soon so you can be on your own pain management schedule. It sucks that they keep the rooms so warm, I like to sleep in a 60° room as the colder the better so I guess I will be baking in the hospital. I am sure you don't smell but a shower to remove all the gunk will feel amazing. Have a great day and good luck with your first PT session too.
 
My formatting is all wonky - probably just something to do with the **** connection. Just had my official PT session and he was great - released me to be independent so no one needs to come hang out while I do my business, yeah!
He showed me the exercises but said he didn't think I needed to do more than heel slides and leg extension - we didn't measure but it could bend normally while seated so near 90 and was virtually flat - he eyeballed -5. He also told me my OS uses an extra numbing shot so to be extra careful doing exercises since it will wear off in a day or two and will probably up the pain level.
OS will be here sometime this afternoon and best guess is he will send me on my way! Hope I have a ride by then, my husband was up all night the night before the surgery stressing out and is still at home asleep!
 
My.formatting went eons ago.with yk2

Legin THR Sep 14
 
LOL - I actually thought the pizza was fine but I picked it mosdtly as the easiest thing to feed myself with making a mess. Not a normal appetite for me but I made a respectable dent.

No cath - haven't gone yet either and I've had an IV and a half - a coffee and a large diet coke. My goods are still under the influence of the spinal though so I think that's normal. Not being able to feel your bum is bizarre! I did make an attempt to use a bedside commode but nada. Wasn't too big of a deal to get up to use it though they wouldn't let me try to use the walker until LT comes by and they have not, as yet.

I've been in a polar care unit since post op - leg is flat and they don't want it elevated but it honestly feels fine and doesnt seem too swollen so I am content. Haven't had meds since dilauded in recovery at noon. It still feels fine though - pain is maybe 2/3?

That's fantastic that your pain is so low at this early stage. I, too, couldn't use the bedside commode and just opted to hobble my butt to the restroom.
 
Thanks @Blendab1 - be careful with that crazy NE weather!!

Ellen - I spoke with the Anesthetist prior and both he and my doc highly prefer to skip the general - he promised that he'd keep me so sedated I'd probably sleep but even if I was aware, I'd be in no way AWARE. Worked great!

I cannot imagine being awake....
 
@Legin you crack me up!!!

@TexasTee I am glad to hear you are doing fantastic. I hope that you will be discharged soon so you can be on your own pain management schedule. It sucks that they keep the rooms so warm, I like to sleep in a 60° room as the colder the better so I guess I will be baking in the hospital.

Oh my goodness! I remember how hot my hospital room was - I was literally dripping sweat! It was awful. I need a cool room, especially when I am suffering.
 
I'm home - yeah! Set up in my recliner, polar care loaded and icing and reliable wifi - awesome :)
Dogs aren't too sure what is going on but they are being gentle so I'll take it. Doc loaded me up with percoset, celebrex, tramadol for break thru and zofran for nausea - he also said not to skimp on meds, if I am in pain, take it, don't sweat it. He said I was further along than he'd expect so to just rest the rest of this week and start up PT at outpatient next week.
I need to work out how to load a pic, I think I can attach from gmail...

[Bonesmart.org] TexasTee finally has a new knee!
 
So awesome that you're home! Listen to your surgeon and give yourself permission to do a lot of nothing the rest of the week! I can't pull up your picture but I'm kinda hoping it's you using the walker :heehee: or maybe of your recliner-side table loaded with prunes?
 
Hey...home so soon, that is fantastic, well done you! :wow:
I'm sure all of your preparations and exercises will pay off over the next few weeks, you really deserve a good recovery,you have worked so hard for it. Sleep well, lots of hugs ((((((((xxx)))))))))
 
Ha Ellen - it's just a photo of the staples...kind of a lot for a fairly small scar...not in the pic but there is a hole a few inches above with 2 stitches and one below with 2 - I guess they actually anchor the robot to my leg. Ummm, ick! Oh well, all good now!
Lyn - all the yoga was totally worth it! I was quite shocked I was able to do a straight leg raise as early as the recovery room - quad is very responsive and I'm able to get around quite well. So excited!
Thanks @noc! Its fabulous to be home and comfortable - now it feels like the healing can really begin.
 
Hi Teresa!
I'm glad you're home and doing so well. If anyone was prepared in advance, it's you.
You know all about rest, ice, elevate, exercise only gently, and take your medications when they are due.

As you know, there will be good days and bad days. Don't let the bad days bring you down - it's all part of the normal pattern of recovery.

Best wishes. :flwrysmile::flwrysmile:
 
lWelcome home!!!! I know you probably have already read these articles (maybe several times, huh!) but I'll post the recovery ones for you anyway just in case you need some light reading. It sounds like you've got this recovery thing knocked. Keep up the great work!

First are the BoneSmart mantras ....

- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a therapist (PT) - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lie down!

Next is a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) thread.

And here are some very crucial articles

The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Activity progression for TKRs
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Home physio (PT) and activity progress: suggestions
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

And then some wise words from members who have shared their experiences ...
Where are you in recovery?? (TKR)
Five “P’s” of knee recovery
TKR: work “smarter” and not “harder”
Recovering a knee - from one who knows!
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's worth the wait for ROM
 
Welcome home Teresa!!!
Glad you're doing well.
Just take it easy and get your rest.
Best Wishes,
Karen
 
Thanks Jamie and Karen!!
Karen - how are you feeling? I'll run over and check on your thread. I'm finding it's a lot harder to sit still while at home...this is going to take some effort. I seem to be the only one who doesn't zonk out when faced with pain meds. Boo!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom