THR Terrible muscle pains

I'm sorry that you're in such a pickle.
Do you think your surgery or primary would prescribe some tramadol if you asked for only a few days' worth at a time? Maybe you could ask for the minimum if that would help to reassure them.
For moving things on stairs, early on for some things I used a laundry basket on a leash, and let it slide slowly down the stairs, or pulled it up. For small items could you set them in a plastic bucket grip the handle along with your crutch?
Maybe you could use a shopping bag for your food and drink, if you use something like covered plastic storage containers for food, and a travel mug or a lidded jar for drinks?
Your struggles with crutches make me appreciate that I had a walker instead. But surely you'll find ways to manage...that's my wish for you.
Good luck!
 
Hi Yoga Lesley,

I hope your efforts at sorting out help for next week do get you somewhere. It is possible to get a district nurse (or similar) to call round daily or even twice daily, I hope you can manage to get this in place.
My kitchen is similar to yours, I managed to fit in a perching chair to sit on to eat/prepare food. After a couple of weeks I used 1 crutch for the few paces to the table, although with partial weight baring it's not so easy.
Carrying things upstairs a rucksack is a good idea, I also had a pair of joggers with deep pockets, very handy for phone /lidded drinks, I even carried a flask up the stairs this way.
You may be feeling a little better by next week. Which will help. Its so frustrating not getting the medication you'd prefer, I hope your pain eases very soon.
 
I have spoken to my surgery today but they too are reluctant to prescribe Tramadol (which worked fine for me in hospital).
Wondering if your Primary Care Physician can help?
I can transport food and drink to my chair whilst still partially weight bearing with both crutches.
I believe that you can use a walker while partial weight bearing. Do you have one, or can you borrow one from someone to use for trips to the kitchen only? I am wondering because you can purchase trays (approx $20-$30 range) from Amazon that have openings on the side / ends of the tray, allowing it to fit right over the walker handles so you can transport meals, or whatever else you may need.

Fingers crossed that by the time your sister leaves you’ve established a routine and are comfortable enough to get through your day without her support. Hey, you have us! Wish I could physically help, but will certainly be here for emotional support and comfort when you’re in need.
Hugs
 
Thanks everyone for comments. Tonight I have terrible nerve pain from lower back (piriformis?) down inside of thigh and lower leg - despite using up my remaining Tramadol, so maybe that is not the only answer! I am not sure what I have done to set it off so badly! Layla, when I mentioned my surgery, I think that is what we here in the uk call a primary care physician i. e. the place where I go to see my own doctor locally? I am going to call them again tomorrow morning and try to speak to a doctor directly (my own doctor is lovely but difficult to get hold of). In the meantime I may try paracetamol and occasional Oromorph (liquid morphine) instead to see if it helps any better. I know I cannot take it alongside Tramadol or Tramacet. I don't have a walker but even if I did getting it up and down the step from kitchen to living room wouldn't reslly be possible. Some of the other ideas are helpful. I don't really understand why I have to be partial weight bearing this time when I wasn't last time. Both uncemented, but different surgeons and different protocols I suppose.
 
A better day, less pain. Very nice local doctor has agreed to my having Tramadol when I need it. But today only had paracetamol and 3 shots Oromorph. Also our social services have agreed I can have 3 visits a day, at least to start and if I need them, to help me with food and personal care, from when my sister leaves. So that is a RESULT!!! Feels odd the idea of having carers, makes me feel really old, but I am glad of course.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Terrible muscle pains
    1653436306171.png
    363 bytes · Views: 84
That sounds like great news. A med that helps and some additional care as needed. I think we all go through the feeling old phase during our recoveries. Thinking it has more to do with needing to ask/accept help when we're so used to being independent. I know that was one of the struggles I had, learning to let my husband help me.
 
It sounds like things are beginning to look up for you @YogaLesley , this makes me so happy for you!!

I had an aide help me while my husband was at work, our kitchen was downstairs but the bathrooms are on the second floor,, apparently my house was designed by some kind of sadistic animal! :heehee:

I didn't feel comfortable navigating the stairs when home by myself, so really enjoyed the help. They also walked our dog, too.
Hopefully you can enjoy your helpers, too.
 
After a good day yesterday, pain in buttock and sciatic type pain back today, not sure why - maybe I sat too long yesterday, perhaps awkwardly? Pelvis feels all skewed again. Plus pain down front of thigh down to foot. But have been taking very little except paracetamol and the odd spoon of Oromorph - after all the fuss I made, haven't taken the Tramadol yet! Maybe I do need to go back on it! But once I am reclining rather than sitting, pain eases. Have now had confirmation that once on my own I will have someone come in at 9.30am and 5.30pm or thereabouts, so twice rather than 3 times which I am fine with. Just hoping pain eases off again. Thanks to everyone.
 
It’s seems you’re doing well, overall, considering you’re only nine days post op. I’m sorry you’re dealing with more pain today than yesterday, which happens early on it seems. I’m sure you’ve seen that little lavender diagram on the forum before of our “expectations vs reality”. Recovery definitely has its ups and downs. The BEST news is you’ll have someone checking in on you twice daily. I’m so happy to hear that, Lesley. Hopefully all the while you’ll be establishing a routine you’re comfortable with.
I hope you’re enjoying the time with your sister while she’s there and that your pain decreases as the day unfolds. :)
@YogaLesley
[Bonesmart.org] Terrible muscle pains
 
I am definitely in the squiggly line reality, one moment not too bad, then agonising, now down front of thigh, usually exacerbated by sitting. Did anyone else find that? Also, I don't seem to see anyone else on here who has been told to partially weight bear for 6 weeks - it's not specific to me, just this surgeon's protocol it seems. I have queried it through his secretary and he replied that I could use one crutch plus support in a while and it wouldn't really matter if I did inadvertently weight-bear occasionally. I have looked up the medical literature and it seems to be a matter of opinion and fairly arbitrary which is better FWB or PWB. Slight advantage to FWB in that muscles get stronger quicker apparently. Anybody got any thoughts on it? (I can bear my weight quite easily already without pain so it is just a question of rules!)
 
Yes, there are definitely ups and downs in this recovery.
I am wondering if you inquired why you were given partial weight bearing restrictions? We hear of it after revisions and fractures that occur during surgery and possibly some OS’s do recommend it, but I’d want to understand his reasoning if I were you and you do seem to be questioning it. If you talk your surgeon or someone on his team again before your first post op, you may want to mention that you can bear full weight without any pain and see what the response is. I hope today is a good one, Lesley. :)
@YogaLesley
 
Well, it's day 12 and I feel I should be feeling better than I am. After a very bad day and night 2 days ago, yesterday I stayed in my 'bedsit' i. e. reclining on bed as sitting is so uncomfortable. I got up for the loo and up and down stairs, then tried walking away from the house down lane but didn't get very far at all. Sat outside a bit in the sunshine.I felt fairly ok and not much pain and discomfort but have just woken 5.30am and pain is back in buttock and the groin, side of thigh and down leg. Feels very stiff. I am not sure if I am doing more or less at this stage than last time. Haven't really been doing much in way if exercises as contracting muscles just seems to make my thigh and leg ache more. Maybe I am resting too much?
 
Hi @YogaLesley . I have just read through your thread. My sympathy, you have been through so much.

I noticed your post on Shipwrghters thread, commenting that maybe the techniques are better in US than UK. I have sometimes wondered that myself - some even have outpatient surgery, my goodness! I had to be prised out of the hospital after 3 nights, and took a much longer time to recover than these US superhealers.

But I got there in the end, and so will you.

I don’t think you are resting too much. I did all the recommended exercises for Hip 1, had a lot of pain, didn’t stop taking painkillers until about 6 weeks post-op.

I learnt from that. Hip 2 was worse pain to start with, and log leg, which I didn’t have with Hip 1. The surgeon for Hip 2 said he lengthened my leg, so I reckon that was the reason for the tougher start. Your situation sounds very similar. However, despite the rougher start, Hip 2 healed faster. No pain meds after the first month.

I believe the reason for my faster, less painful recovery for Hip 2 was I did not do any physiotherapy exercises for the first 10 weeks. I used crutches unless walking without was pain free. I spent a lot of time reclining on my bed, as more comfortable than sitting on a chair. I think for the first few weeks, the sheer effort involved in getting out of bed to go the loo (and I seemed to need it every few hours) and attending to the other necessities of life was quite enough exertion.

And I had my bed downstairs, didn’t even attempt stair climbing for weeks.

Be gentle with yourself. You haven’t even had long enough to recover fully from Hip 1. You have suffered a bereavement that must be a terrible drain on your emotional energy. You are having to organise your recovery yourself.

I am in awe of your strength to be doing so well at 12 days post-op. Hang in there. There are better times ahead.
 
I think recovery will have it’s ups and downs. I had terrible pain that you describe before surgery and when they woke me from recovery. They got me on a lot of strong pain killers right away and gave me a list of them to take home !! I was on heavy pain meds before surgery to. Gabapentin and extended dilaudid ( I believe only legal in Canada ) with short term dilaudid (up to 8mg but I have never gone past 4) those 2 alone are so strong plus I think 8 others. Well medicated !! ASA to prevent clots I have to take for 35 days. Tomorrow I’m allowed to reduce some pain meds but tbh I started downing the gaba already. I have been on it for years and it does a number on me.
I’m not sure if I’m only feeling stiffness and soreness because the pain is gone or because of all the meds! I feel so high all the time I hate it. I do know the swelling is limiting movement to even go to the bathroom and have a bit of leg log now and then but only with swelling.
My point is I was doing great until the swelling and we all heal differently. I have also learned you have to be your own advocate and do not do something that makes you feel worse. Take it one day at a time. You will have good and bad days. Let your body guide you!
Remember listening to what your body is telling you will help you heal more comfortably. Your not alone in having some issues but if your in pain let them know! Make sure you get meds that ease the pain. I had such severe pain coming out of anaesthesia they wanted to ensure going home I would not have this. My fault I refused hospital stay. I know I’m more comfortable at home and will heal better here then there. I seen what my daughter went through in hospital and I was not going to be treated that way. Canada has a horrible health care system!
If your in a lot of pain it’s a stress on your entire body. Make sure to take care of your mental health as well. People do not realize mental health has a massive impact on physical health. Enjoy the sun when you can. If you have a comfy piece of outdoor furniture or can get one then do that. Do what makes you feel good and relaxed. Do your little walks but don’t push too hard. Remember your body knows what’s best for you.
 
I do so appreciate your comments @Klassy and @Lyla . Klassy, what you said was so nice, it made me cry! In a good way! People keep saying to me I am strong but I don't feel it, in fact often feel a bit of a wimp! But all the things you both said about listening to your body and being gentle with yourself are just what I would say to others, especially my yoga students! Why is it so hard to follow one's own advice!? I am very interested that you recovered well without the physio. It is my instinct too, though normally I am the first to champion the benefits of gentle exercise - I guess gentle is the key, doing what feels right and not what hurts just to obey 'the rules'. I think I will need painkillers for quite a while too. It is so great when I have taken them, I think, why should I suffer just to try to get off them quickly? I will know when I can stop, I reckon! Main incentive is to be able to have a glass of wine once off the heavy meds!!! Thanks again. :) xxx
 
I do so appreciate your comments @Klassy and @Lyla . Klassy, what you said was so nice, it made me cry! In a good way! People keep saying to me I am strong but I don't feel it, in fact often feel a bit of a wimp! But all the things you both said about listening to your body and being gentle with yourself are just what I would say to others, especially my yoga students! Why is it so hard to follow one's own advice!? I am very interested that you recovered well without the physio. It is my instinct too, though normally I am the first to champion the benefits of gentle exercise - I guess gentle is the key, doing what feels right and not what hurts just to obey 'the rules'. I think I will need painkillers for quite a while too. It is so great when I have taken them, I think, why should I suffer just to try to get off them quickly? I will know when I can stop, I reckon! Main incentive is to be able to have a glass of wine once off the heavy meds!!! Thanks again. :) xxx
I love this forum address the difference between dependant and addiction!! So very different. Taking for legitimate pain dependant on pain meds can be weaned off with very little effects so don’t stress over taking them. Be comfortable!
Also the strongest people never feel strong.
 
I have been reading your posts @Klassy from 2018, you have a great sense of humour! I was also interested to come to the bit about apparent leg length difference and the link to the Bonesmart article. This is very relevant to me as I had just been saying to my sister I felt sure my left leg was longer making my pelvis feel skewed and giving me this constant pinching in lower back/buttock which fires all the nerves down the leg - sciatica style. But when my right hip was done the surgeon said it was 1 cm longer now than the left and I had got used to that, new surgeon assured me he had now evened them up and they are the same legth. But it REALLY doesn't feel like it!!! How can I get rid of this sciatic /nerve pain? All the exercises I would have done for sciatica are no nos for hip at this stage! Again I think sitting for any length of time does make it worse but I also get it lying in bed. If it weren't for this I think I would be doing pretty well. Ah well, soon time for wonderful Tramadol tablet and hopefully a good sleep. :sleep::sleep:
 
Hi Lesley, I hope you got some good sleep and are having a better day today. Although the day is not one to brighten anyone’s mood! IIRC you are in Wales. I am in the West Midlands, where it is currently drizzling, and we tend to get the leftovers of Welsh rain.

Yep, it did definitely feel like the legs were different lengths, but the feeling went away. If the surgeon says you now have a match, I think you can safely assume that the feeling will go away for you too.

I don’t think I had sciatica type pain so I am not going to be much use on that. But I understand that the area where we had the surgery is around the sciatic nerve, so all the aggravation could well upset it. In which case it is something that will pass once the tissues settle down.

I don’t know whether you came across an article on here about the vicious cycle of inadequate pain relief? I haven’t figured out how to link to a post. Basically it sends a strong message on the importance of getting pain under control in order to be able to heal. I was as keen as anyone to get off painkillers- meds can have side effects, and once we start monitoring ourselves there are all sorts of funny things going on that we can blame on the pills. But then the shock to the system of surgery, lack of sleep, etc, are enough in themselves to produce plenty of grotty sensations, so perhaps the pills are not actually the cause. Anyway, I think you should take the painkillers as prescribed, if you are not doing so. And if you are taking them and still suffering, go back to the doc and demand something else. It does sound like Tramadol works for you, and it seems to be a medication that a lot of members on here have found helpful, so hopefully you may be equipped now to tackle the pain.

I also agree with you about the benefits of exercise, in normal life. But the post-op situation is not normal, and you do have to let things heal first.

I’m banging on I know, forgive me, all I can really say is: it is early days, hang in there and it will get better. But in the meantime, whenever you need to, do vent on here. One day you can refer back to your thread to say to someone new: don’t worry, this will pass and you will have a great recovery like me.
 
I am hoping that this is the article @Klassy was referring to.

 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom