THR Terrible muscle pains

Thank you @Klassy and @CricketHip , today was a classic illustration of the pain management issue. I started with just 2 paracetamol at 7.40am, pain low hardly noticeable, so didn't take Tramadol. 2 more paracetamol at 1.10 p. m. Then district nurse came and took clips out. Had a difficult afternoon in that very kind neighbours (also tree surgeons) came and offered to cut my hedges, hazelnut tree and strim the lawn which I gratefully accepted. However on seeing it, it all seemed a bit brutal and then I saw they had unknowingly completely cut down a little herb bed which Michael had planted, only bit of planting he did, and I just completely fell apart, howling with grief, illogical I know but it seemed kind of symbolic. My friend assured me it would grow again but it wasn't really the point. Anyway I totally forgot about painkillers until pain started to hit me about 7.40pm, 6.5 hour gap, pain got worse, took Tramadol 8.20pm, still no relief so even took a shot of Oromorph at 9.25pm. Had also forgotten to ice, so doing that now and just beginning to ease off a bit at 22.50pm! I should have had Tramadol earlier or at the very least not waited so long for paracetamol (Tylenol). Feeling pretty emotional still, probably partly because my sister leaves tomorrow and the bleak future suddenly loomed ahead. I didn't sleep well last night so daresay if I can get some decent rest tonight, tomorrow may seem brighter. Sorry to sound depressive, that pain chart is absolutely right unfortunately!
 
Oh dear, what a hard day. I would have been distraught about the herb bed too. Sending you hugs.
 
I am so sorry @YogaLesley. I find my threshold for tears is so so low. I was just listening to the speech given by the actress who won the best actress award at the Cannes film festival and I started crying. Of course it was because she is Iranian and she was speaking in farsi about the plight of iranian women so I was bawling.

Anyway I find that if I set an alarm and take the meds at exactly or very close to the hour each day instead of sporadically it has a lot more effect and the meds stay in my system and hence I stay ahead of the pain so to speak. Like take the tramadol every 6 hours and put an alarm on your phone so you don't miss a dose. Just a suggestion. Best wishes for a better day tomorrow.
 
Emotions run high in recovery, days of sobbing combines with days of joy for sure.
I always wonder why doctors don't forewarn us of the emotional end of recovery.
Thankfully we have a place here to speak of our difficult days.
I wish you rest and a pain free day.
 
I always wonder why doctors don't forewarn us of the emotional end of recovery.
I understand thinking this…to a point. I sometimes wonder if they simply don’t want to plant that seed, you know, the power of suggestion does affect some. Through my time here, I‘ve read of many dealing with post op blues, but I will add, it’s fleeting in most every case. Possibly that’s why they don’t even bring it up?
 
Yay for clips out, Lesley! I’ll bet that was a relief. I’m so sorry about Michael‘s herb bed. When you’re feeling better, could you re-plant the herbs, or something special in its place to nurture as a grateful remembrance of Michael and his sweet love and care for you? A little memorial of sorts. Even if it’s just a shepherds hook (not sure if they’re referred to as the same in the UK) to hold a hanging plant or wind chimes could be nice.

I hope you slept well last night. I’ll cross my fingers that your visiting social services people are personable and helpful this week. Have a great rest of the day!
@YogaLesley
 
Thank you @Klassy and @CricketHip , today was a classic illustration of the pain management issue. I started with just 2 paracetamol at 7.40am, pain low hardly noticeable, so didn't take Tramadol. 2 more paracetamol at 1.10 p. m. Then district nurse came and took clips out. Had a difficult afternoon in that very kind neighbours (also tree surgeons) came and offered to cut my hedges, hazelnut tree and strim the lawn which I gratefully accepted. However on seeing it, it all seemed a bit brutal and then I saw they had unknowingly completely cut down a little herb bed which Michael had planted, only bit of planting he did, and I just completely fell apart, howling with grief, illogical I know but it seemed kind of symbolic. My friend assured me it would grow again but it wasn't really the point. Anyway I totally forgot about painkillers until pain started to hit me about 7.40pm, 6.5 hour gap, pain got worse, took Tramadol 8.20pm, still no relief so even took a shot of Oromorph at 9.25pm. Had also forgotten to ice, so doing that now and just beginning to ease off a bit at 22.50pm! I should have had Tramadol earlier or at the very least not waited so long for paracetamol (Tylenol). Feeling pretty emotional still, probably partly because my sister leaves tomorrow and the bleak future suddenly loomed ahead. I didn't sleep well last night so daresay if I can get some decent rest tonight, tomorrow may seem brighter. Sorry to sound depressive, that pain chart is absolutely right unfortunately!
Be kind to yourself. It’s ok to cry. I have a theory as to why you get emotional after surgery. Many believe that injuries can happen in spots of the body where negative energy is stored. Surgery helps to release and you are releasing the emotional part of energy. To let it go. It’s ok if you don’t believe this I just thought I would share.
I have studied hypnosis and the brain etc. It really makes sense to me but I don’t push that on to others just give you some other thoughts on it.
It seems like a very long frustrating time but once we get through this life opens up again. That’s where I try to focus to get me through the day.
 
Interesting @Lyla . For me, I think the emotions have been close to the surface ever since my beloved partner Michael died so suddenly on 19th December, and of course he was here constantly when I had my right hip done last September. So everything about this heightens the sense of his absence and how very different life is now. I have been working through it of course, but you are right in that pain and the position of relative helplessness this operation creates for a while at least certainly heighten the emotions and the sense of vulnerability. That said, on a more positive note, my new wheeled trolley/over the chair table has arrived and yesterday I managed to manoeuvre it to the step of the kitchen doorway, prep and cook myself a simple meal in the kitchen, place it on the trolley and wheel it back to my chair! Yay!!! :yes!: Of course, I broke my surgeon's rules as I just had to let go of a crutch or both now and then but tried to use worktops as support. I can't see how one can possibly do anything else unless I am to remain helpless for 6 weeks because of the Partial Weight Bearing rule. I am definitely going to ring to query it again today.
 
I meant to ask, I have just woken up and the sense of pain and stiffness seems much worse from overnight. Is this normal? I have just taken a Tramadol so pain beginning to ease but still very sore and stiff.
 
Interesting @Lyla . For me, I think the emotions have been close to the surface ever since my beloved partner Michael died so suddenly on 19th December, and of course he was here constantly when I had my right hip done last September. So everything about this heightens the sense of his absence and how very different life is now. I have been working through it of course, but you are right in that pain and the position of relative helplessness this operation creates for a while at least certainly heighten the emotions and the sense of vulnerability. That said, on a more positive note, my new wheeled trolley/over the chair table has arrived and yesterday I managed to manoeuvre it to the step of the kitchen doorway, prep and cook myself a simple meal in the kitchen, place it on the trolley and wheel it back to my chair! Yay!!! :yes!: Of course, I broke my surgeon's rules as I just had to let go of a crutch or both now and then but tried to use worktops as support. I can't see how one can possibly do anything else unless I am to remain helpless for 6 weeks because of the Partial Weight Bearing rule. I am definitely going to ring to query it again today.
Either way your entitled to your emotions. I’m pretty sure I read that and it slipped my mind. They will grow back and be just as beautiful if not more so. Keep good thoughts it helps to keep pushing us forward. Let out the emotions when you need to no matter why they are there. Never hold them it’s not healthy to keep bottled up. Mental health is important for physical health. That includes a good cry when you need it.

I would check why your surgeon has that rule and good for you getting your own food today!!! I made such a dreadful mess while my kid was at school yesterday … blackberries all over the floor , cat water fountain got caught in my walker so I needed to use the grabber to take the top off. It was hot and he was very thirsty. Water everywhere . Hate not being able to bend down or reach etc. It’s really annoying. Just be careful. Why crutches ? So many here I see using them instead of a walker.
 
I meant to ask, I have just woken up and the sense of pain and stiffness seems much worse from overnight. Is this normal? I have just taken a Tramadol so pain beginning to ease but still very sore and stiff.
I get up daily stiff and sore! Especially if I lay overnight. It’s after 4 am I had to get up and move around for a bit. Wide awake now.
 
@Lyla . I wouldn't want a walker, my cottage is so small it would be very little use. Plus how can you use a walker to get up and down stairs???!!!!
 
Plus walkers are so low and I am quite tall, horrible hunching over a walker.
 
Well done on getting your meal with the new tray. That sounds like it will be a useful asset. Do see what the doc says about the weight bearing. If you can use the tray and/or countertops for balance instead of a crutch for manoeuvres about the house, it will make life a lot easier.

I like my crutches, well compared to a walker that is. For one thing, you can transition from two to one, then on to none. And with a crutch you can wave to passers by, or flag down a cab, or push open a high window, can’t do any of that with a walker.

Looking for positives, could it be that you are stiffer on waking because you slept better, and therefore longer in one position? Anyway, I hope the pain and stiffness eased and you are having a good day.
 
I meant to ask, I have just woken up and the sense of pain and stiffness seems much worse from overnight. Is this normal?
Yes. It’s like you need an oil can to get moving some days early on. Stiffness is normal after inactivity.
Wonderful news on prepping that meal for yourself, Lesley! I hope the day is going well for you so far.
 
Breakthrough pain down front of thigh last night and now this morning - haven't had it for a while. Horrible. Last night I stupidly thought, as I was feeling stiff, that I should try that physio exercise where you lift the knee and hold-said to strengthen thigh muscles - regretted it almost instantly as I think it has triggered this pain. Or is it coincidence? Anyway will stick to the very gentle bed exercises and walking from now on!
 
@Lyla . I wouldn't want a walker, my cottage is so small it would be very little use. Plus how can you use a walker to get up and down stairs???!!!!
Good points. I have 2 canes and I use the walker for about 20 steps where there is a cane that I can use to get downstairs or in the bathroom. I have another cane about 15 feet at my back door. I use that one for the back deck. My house is so tiny and no space I do understand. I was told I was not allowed to leave the hospital without a walker. They gave me no options. I seen and heard of many people going the crutches route and was just wondering why. It makes lots of sense. I really would have preferred having an option. I do hate using the walker for that reason of being haunched over. I’m short and still I manage to round my back and hunch.
 
Breakthrough pain down front of thigh last night and now this morning - haven't had it for a while. Horrible. Last night I stupidly thought, as I was feeling stiff, that I should try that physio exercise where you lift the knee and hold-said to strengthen thigh muscles - regretted it almost instantly as I think it has triggered this pain. Or is it coincidence? Anyway will stick to the very gentle bed exercises and walking from now on!
It could be. I’m not in a rush to do any of those things. I will do one here and there to see how it feels. I agree walking is the best we can do. I have lifted my leg slightly … I will not do anything that hurts! I want to be sure I’m not damaging anything. It makes me nervous that they prescribe things like that so early on. As much as I want to get up and move I really am more focused on walking then anything else. I caused pain behind my knee and in my upper inner thigh from attempting them when I barely moved my leg.
 
Anyway will stick to the very gentle bed exercises and walking from now on!
Atta girl! :ok:

I know you’ve read this in the BoneSmart Recovery Guidelines, but I think it’s a good reminder for all that are healing to read it now and then -

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

I hope you’re having a good day, Lesley. With the time difference, I’m drinking my morning coffee with the whole day ahead of me. :)
 
@YogaLesley I still can't do that exercise (the lifting your leg and holding) and I am almost 4 months post op!
Although clearly since your name is Yoga lesley you must be much fitter than me! I really thought I would be much further along than I am but I think I have finally turned a corner. Just take it nice and slow. I liked the Bone Smart philosophy of looking back on your week on Sunday and see if you've made progress although keep the squiggly recovery line in mind! Hope you get a good nights sleep.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom