Guest viewing is limited

THR Terrible muscle pains

Although pain eased today I have felt very emotional. Today's helper was not very nice, well, more distant really and it felt kind of dehumanising. I am doing most things myself anyway so beginning to think I might rather be without them. I think it will be reviewed next week anyway. I finally spoke to the orthopaedic physio about the Partial weight bearing rule and she said there is no real reason just difference of opinion amongst surgeons when it is uncemented as both mine are. Anyway she said not to worry about it too much, one crutch is fine or moving around the house with support here and there but just to go easy. So I feel a lot more relaxed about that now and it means I can manage a lot more with one hand free! Weather has been lovely which always makes me miss Michael more, but I have got friends visiting every afternoon for the next 4 days so hopefully I will feel less lonely then. Really need a good night's sleep, not good last night and it colours the whole day.
 
I am so sorry you are feeling lonely. I am sure you are missing your partner more than ever now. I wonder sometimes why some caregivers go into the business of giving care if they just don't want to do the job. Its encouraging to hear that you are able to manage on your own quite well although I can't imagine how.

I am also glad your friends are coming over to cheer you up. When I was first home after my surgery I had friends visiting with food and that was a double wammy cheerful because I got company and dinner at the same time. Hope you get some good rest tonight.
 
Well, today is a new day! I hope you’re feeling better than yesterday, Lesley.
Sorry for your unpleasant visit with the caregiver. Hopefully that particular worker will not return. It’s wonderful to read you’re doing most everything on your own. It is amazing how quickly we adapt. I know I was surprised with the ease in transition after my THR. Thankfully you have a better understanding of the partial weight bearing and don’t need to worry if you put a bit more weight on your leg than originally advised. I hope you slept well last night and enjoy time with your visiting friends today.
Hugs :friends:
@YogaLesley
 
That helper was definitely not what you needed. It’s good to hear that you will have friends visiting, and that you are able to do more for yourself. So you will be ready when the time comes to move on and do without the visiting helpers.

In the meantime, the unfriendly one may have other talents that you can benefit from. Bathroom cleaning comes to mind …
 
It is confusing to see someone take a job like that and not be a caring person. Perhaps they had a bad day? I do hope whoever comes next is more pleasant. It kinda ruins your mood to be around people who would rather not be there. In any case I’m sure having visitors will help lift your spirits but remember to get rest to.
Have a fantastic weekend!
 
Yesterday a lot less pain, moved around house on one crutch sometimes and went for first walk with friend, about three quarters of a mile. But not a great night, touch of ODIClub I think, woke then slept late, got washed drobbed grabber, got second grabber, dropped that, burst into tears!! Eventually picked it up with crutches! Feeling a bit better now. Helper not here yet (10.10am!). Late just when I needed her! Hope everyone else doing OK.
 
:wave:@YogaLesley
Glad you were able to walk a bit and get some confidence even if you had a bit of repercussions.... Surely it never seems to hurt until we stop. You'll be able to find your limits by listening to your body and I found icing to be oh so helpful after more activity.:ice:
I am sorry you are grieving and dealing with surgery struggles, but I'm sure Michael would be proud you are keeping it together and healing.

Those post-op blues got on me, too.
My meltdown came from dropping a cup off a water bottle that rolled under an entertainment center that was impossible to retrieve.
I broke down sobbing, and my dear husband was completely confused.
I know now that it was the combination of the physical effects of surgery, pain meds, and the unfamiliar temporary lack of independence that created a perfect storm.
We all need a good cry sometimes...:console2:
My mom used to say... "Its okay to have a pity party, just turn it into a soiree.":heehee:

I hope your helper gets there soon... and today is a good day.:flwrysmile:
 
Thank you Mojo, for understanding. Helper arrived, fortunately one I didn't like seems to have disappeared and others are lovely! Tired so back to reclining on bed watching Queen 's Jubilee service, big stuff here in the UK! Good distraction! .
 
Yes, I am also watching all the fanfare....:loveshwr:
The clothes! The hats!
We Yankees are also fascinated by the Royals.
 
I’m happy to read the latest helpers are pleasant, Lesley. I hope you’re feeling better after landing in the ODIC. Speaking of the Jubilee, looks like the Queen is in the ODIC today also. Lots of activity for her yesterday. It seems she held up well, but apparently it was exhausting for her. I love watching the Royals, especially Kate. My fave photos of the day, hopefully they make you laugh -
FB3BE3B1-C44E-45BE-9A89-92FAFC89E5D3.jpeg CF3EB8ED-0156-46CC-8967-2226AD63F847.jpeg 4B031B32-795C-496B-B7CF-F20406C7DEA5.jpeg
Louis doesn’t care that he’s on a palace balcony in front of swarms, he doesn’t care that great granny is 96, or that she’s been the queen for 70 years. Kids will be kids. I love him! :rotfl:

I hope you have a nice weekend!
 
Happy to hear you are having better helpers come in. I have found some pretty creative ways to get things off the floor when I keep dropping them. Someone said they use tongs … so now I keep tongs on the little deck table because I drop everything out there when I go out with my coffee. I used a swifter broom to get my glasses once lol.
It must of been lovely to get out for a walk. I have to do that over the weekend. Been way to tired to attempt it the last few days now.
 
Well, went out for walk 3 days running but together with having to do a lit round house, get meals, wash up, bit of tidying etc plus onky using one crutch sometimes it has obviously been too much and my leg muscles last night were screaming. I am completely resting today, well apart frim going to get food etc, but when I walk my operated left leg is so stiff and muscles are almost in spasm. To stand evenly I have to have my right leg on tiptoes and limp when walking it feels so uneven and unnatural. I didn't have anything like this last time, leg felt completely normal (though I had different muscle and nerve pains). I am worried about this rigid stiffness, not sure what to do.
 
Gets worse every day. Last time I was walking easily at this stage. Feeling very depressed. Pain down front of thigh won't go away. So stiff and aching. Still in bed. Just want to sleep.
 
Aww, @YogaLesley
I am sorry you are feeling discouraged.:sad:
Unfortunately, we can't really anticipate or compare recoveries even with the same patient....it is still different hips.
I had both done at once and my legs seemed to have their unique recovery issues.

You are only 20 something days out of a major surgery.... but if you truly feel something is off... or you need better pain management....do try to contact the surgeon's office.

I do think that having to tiptoe with other leg sounds like it can cause muscle issues...
Forgive me if you already mentioned it, but do you have access to a PT that can advise you or your gait?
Do you think the walks you took "3 days running" may have contributed to your extra aches?
It is certainly a fine line between enough and too much.:unsure:
Seems like it never hurts until we stop.

I think you should concentrate on short walks with plenty of rest and ice between.
Still very early days, my friend.
Healing hugs!
:console2:
 
:goodpost: Hang in there @YogaLesley . Now is the time to practice exercising your patience muscle. It's very early in the game.
Your tiptoe method sounds worrisome, though. I agree with what Mojo said.. maybe get some advice on that.

Hoping today is a bit better for you.:flwrysmile:
 
Possibly you should inquire whether you can be released from the partial weight bearing? I wonder if it’s causing more problems than it’s helping. Three weeks post op is sooo early into the healing process. If it doesn’t make you sad to look back, check and see where you documented you were with your first hip at three weeks post op. It may offer you some reassurance. Given the fact that you’re recovering from a second major surgery in less than a years time, plus dealing with the loss of, Michael, it would feel exhausting. You need lots of TLC right now, Lesley, and it will get better. :console2:
@YogaLesley
 
Thanks for all your comments. Trouble is Layla that this time last time, I had a persistent nerve pain which went with painkillers but could walk quite normally but this time I just can't walk properly. Left leg feels so much longer than right that without crutches I am linping, not because of pain but just because of unevenness. Yet the surgeon said they were the same length.( He has also made a real mess of the scar catching the subcutaneous fat so there are four permanent dents in my thigh, really unsightly and sore! Vanity I know but annoying ). Could this unevenness be due to stiffness of muscles? I can't go to see physio yet because I can't drive. I suppose I shall just have to wait for 6 week checkup on June 28th.
 
Left leg feels so much longer than right that without crutches I am linping, not because of pain but just because of unevenness. Yet the surgeon said they were the same length.
This is what I’m thinking because we read of this here often-

Many feel this sensation post op. It is referred to as Leg Length Differential. In most cases it eases with time. We advise giving it 3-4 months as it can take that amount of time for things to balance. If at that point, you are still concerned we suggest you visit a reputable podiatrist or PT for a measurement.
Here's an article from our Library Leg length differential - LLD.
Read about it and see what you think. I hope you sleep well tonight, Lesley.
 
I’m sad to read that you are having such a hard time. I hope you get some healing sleep tonight, and a better day tomorrow.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom